Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: Wenatchee Apple Blossom

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    I don't really know much about this, so could someone please fill me in?

    I've read before that you are not allowed to carry at any music festival or perhaps it was even worded as any festival at all. Normally these are gated off with security that pats you down and you pay an admittance. However, in Wenatchee we have a very large celebration known as Apple Blossom that takes up many public streets. It literally goes down some of the main roads and is centralized as a food court, stage and vendors in the park in front of the courthouse.

    What I'm wondering is if it is illegal to carry (CC or OC) at the food court or if that is considered illegal because it is a "music festival." Also, I'm wondering if it would somehow become illegal to carry along the parade route on normal streets because it is being used as a "festival."

    Someone please enlighten me, I don't want to spend the next week or two holed up in my house with nothing to do. I was thinking about maybe taking the girlfriend and her kid down to get some food, but I didn't want some sort of confrontation or arrest for going to a park I can normally frequent OC anyway.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666

    Post imported post

    RCW 70.108.150




    [/b]It shall be unlawful for any person, except law enforcement officers, to carry, transport or convey, or to have in his possession or under his control any firearm while on the site of an outdoor music festival.

    Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars and not more than two hundred dollars or by imprisonment in the county jail for not less than ten days and not more than ninety days or by both such fine and imprisonment.


    Definition of what a "music festival" is....RCW 70.108.020




    [/b]For the purposes of this chapter the following words and phrases shall have the indicated meanings:

    (1) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more and where the duration of the program is five hours or longer: PROVIDED, That this definition shall not be applied to any regularly established permanent place of worship, stadium, athletic field, arena, auditorium, coliseum, or other similar permanently established places of assembly for assemblies which do not exceed by more than two hundred fifty people the maximum seating capacity of the structure where the assembly is held: PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.
    Live Free or Die!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Daath 474 wrote:
    I don't really know much about this, so could someone please fill me in?

    I've read before that you are not allowed to carry at any music festival or perhaps it was even worded as any festival at all. Normally these are gated off with security that pats you down and you pay an admittance. However, in Wenatchee we have a very large celebration known as Apple Blossom that takes up many public streets. It literally goes down some of the main roads and is centralized as a food court, stage and vendors in the park in front of the courthouse.

    What I'm wondering is if it is illegal to carry (CC or OC) at the food court or if that is considered illegal because it is a "music festival." Also, I'm wondering if it would somehow become illegal to carry along the parade route on normal streets because it is being used as a "festival."

    Someone please enlighten me, I don't want to spend the next week or two holed up in my house with nothing to do. I was thinking about maybe taking the girlfriend and her kid down to get some food, but I didn't want some sort of confrontation or arrest for going to a park I can normally frequent OC anyway.
    A music festival requires a special permit. Inquire with whomever is putting the festival on and you will have your answer. It also would not be the entire event that is a music festival as one requirement to be deemed a music festival is that the main reason for assembly of the people is music.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    So does this count as an outdoor music festival? If so, doesn't that make the majority of Wenatchee off-limits during the parade? I can't even go to the food court? Man, I'm pretty pissed off about this.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    Another question just came to my mind as well....

    What about INDOOR music festivals? Provided they are not 21+ at a bar or something, would that be a legal place to carry?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Daath 474 wrote:
    So does this count as an outdoor music festival? If so, doesn't that make the majority of Wenatchee off-limits during the parade? I can't even go to the food court? Man, I'm pretty pissed off about this.
    Did you read my previous post?
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Everett, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,339

    Post imported post

    Daath 474 wrote:
    Another question just came to my mind as well....

    What about INDOOR music festivals? Provided they are not 21+ at a bar or something, would that be a legal place to carry?
    Unless the establishment asks you to leave, more than likely it would be legal.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666

    Post imported post

    After looking at the webpage for the Apple Blossom Festival, I would say that it is not an outdoor music festival.



    The Washington State Apple Blossom Festival is a festival held annually in Wenatchee, Washington, self-proclaimed the "Apple Capital of the World" due to the valley's many apple orchards. The Apple Blossom Festival is a two-week festival, running the last weekend in April to the first weekend in May.

    The Festival includes a Grand Parade, a youth parade, an arts and crafts festival, A carnival, A food fair, and other amusements.

    The Festival is estimated to bring over 100,000 visitors to Wenatchee, a city with a population of 29,022 in the 2004 census.

    Live Free or Die!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    Well, it's good the parade route doesn't make carry illegal, but it's a shame you can't carry in the food court.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    Oh, I like the updated information. That looks very promising! I was thinking about calling the local police and asking, but I wasn't sure if I wanted their "business" line or to call the sheriff.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    250

    Post imported post

    Daath 474 wrote:
    So does this count as an outdoor music festival? If so, doesn't that make the majority of Wenatchee off-limits during the parade? I can't even go to the food court? Man, I'm pretty pissed off about this.
    No and No.

    I called and asked for ya. Nope, no Outdoor Music Festival Permit..

    http://www.appleblossom.org/

    XD

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    Who did you call? I was just about to call the local police and their offices are closed as of 5pm! LOL!

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    250

    Post imported post

    Daath 474 wrote:
    Who did you call? I was just about to call the local police and their offices are closed as of 5pm! LOL!
    The apple blossom festival offices.... (509) 662-3618

    Don't call the police to ask for any kind of permission... You don't need it.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    Oh nice! You rock! I think I'm still going to call the local police or sheriff tomorrow anyway just so that I have a confirmed conversation with someone I can cite in case any local (or otherwise) police try to tell me otherwise. I feel a lot better and I am looking forward to going to the festival with my girlfriend and her kid.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    Oh, I just figured I should. But if you're 100% sure I trust your judgement.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575

    Post imported post

    (1) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gatheredprimarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment.

    Food, parade etc would indicate its not primarily a music festival you answered your own question.












    pri·mar·i·ly [ prī mérrəlee ]



    adverb



    Definition:



    1.chiefly:mainly or mostly

    Throw me to the wolves and I will come back leading the pack.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    Awesome! I was really hoping it wasn't going to be lame like that!

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,666

    Post imported post

    gogodawgs wrote:
    [/b]Definition of what a "music festival" is....RCW 70.108.020

    [/b]For the purposes of this chapter the following words and phrases shall have the indicated meanings:

    (1) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment NO, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more YESand where the duration of the program is five hours or longer YES: PROVIDED, That this definition shall not be applied to any regularly established permanent place of worship, stadium, athletic field, arena, auditorium, coliseum, or other similar permanently established places of assembly for assemblies which do not exceed by more than two hundred fifty people the maximum seating capacity of the structure where the assembly is held: PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds YESnor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.
    Look at the definitions above. The very first definition fails, therefore it is NOT an outdoor music festival.
    Live Free or Die!

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    You guys are so awesome! Thank you... I feel 100% confident now about open-carrying at the event. I'll try to get a picture of us at the food fair and post it!

  20. #20
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    .......and don't call the LEO. If they say no, and you still go that might be testing the department, just go ....be good and be safe.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  21. #21
    Regular Member younggun20's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ogden, Utah, USA
    Posts
    276

    Post imported post

    Daath 474 wrote:
    You guys are so awesome! Thank you... I feel 100% confident now about open-carrying at the event. I'll try to get a picture of us at the food fair and post it!
    awesome, me and the wife are coming up from UT for apple blossom. She grew up there and wanted to go back for this. Ill be carrying as well, hope to see some fellow OCers there

    Are there any schools within 1000' or any other reason someone without a CWP would not be able to carry

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    I can't think of anything... It's outside of the courthouse and jail, but that shouldn't matter in a public park. The only thing I was concerned about was the live music there, but if they didn't need an "outdoor music festival permit" then it seems safe to say we'd be fine. Additionally there are the other points made by members of the forum.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , Washington, USA
    Posts
    113

    Post imported post

    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    .......and don't call the LEO. If they say no, and you still go that might be testing the department, just go ....be good and be safe.
    Interesting, I never thought of that.

  24. #24
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Not that I don't think that way, I feel there is no such thing as "setting up" officers if you everything being done is lawful.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  25. #25
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    Daath 474 wrote:
    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    .......and don't call the LEO. If they say no, and you still go that might be testing the department, just go ....be good and be safe.
    Interesting, I never thought of that.
    I agree with Gunner, you might be better off headbutting a bees nest.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •