• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wenatchee Apple Blossom

Daath 474

imported post

I don't really know much about this, so could someone please fill me in?

I've read before that you are not allowed to carry at any music festival or perhaps it was even worded as any festival at all. Normally these are gated off with security that pats you down and you pay an admittance. However, in Wenatchee we have a very large celebration known as Apple Blossom that takes up many public streets. It literally goes down some of the main roads and is centralized as a food court, stage and vendors in the park in front of the courthouse.

What I'm wondering is if it is illegal to carry (CC or OC) at the food court or if that is considered illegal because it is a "music festival." Also, I'm wondering if it would somehow become illegal to carry along the parade route on normal streets because it is being used as a "festival."

Someone please enlighten me, I don't want to spend the next week or two holed up in my house with nothing to do. I was thinking about maybe taking the girlfriend and her kid down to get some food, but I didn't want some sort of confrontation or arrest for going to a park I can normally frequent OC anyway.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

RCW 70.108.150

[/b]It shall be unlawful for any person, except law enforcement officers, to carry, transport or convey, or to have in his possession or under his control any firearm while on the site of an outdoor music festival.

Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars and not more than two hundred dollars or by imprisonment in the county jail for not less than ten days and not more than ninety days or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Definition of what a "music festival" is....RCW 70.108.020

[/b]For the purposes of this chapter the following words and phrases shall have the indicated meanings:

(1) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more and where the duration of the program is five hours or longer: PROVIDED, That this definition shall not be applied to any regularly established permanent place of worship, stadium, athletic field, arena, auditorium, coliseum, or other similar permanently established places of assembly for assemblies which do not exceed by more than two hundred fifty people the maximum seating capacity of the structure where the assembly is held: PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.

joeroket

imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
I don't really know much about this, so could someone please fill me in?

I've read before that you are not allowed to carry at any music festival or perhaps it was even worded as any festival at all. Normally these are gated off with security that pats you down and you pay an admittance. However, in Wenatchee we have a very large celebration known as Apple Blossom that takes up many public streets. It literally goes down some of the main roads and is centralized as a food court, stage and vendors in the park in front of the courthouse.

What I'm wondering is if it is illegal to carry (CC or OC) at the food court or if that is considered illegal because it is a "music festival." Also, I'm wondering if it would somehow become illegal to carry along the parade route on normal streets because it is being used as a "festival."

Someone please enlighten me, I don't want to spend the next week or two holed up in my house with nothing to do. I was thinking about maybe taking the girlfriend and her kid down to get some food, but I didn't want some sort of confrontation or arrest for going to a park I can normally frequent OC anyway.
A music festival requires a special permit. Inquire with whomever is putting the festival on and you will have your answer. It also would not be the entire event that is a music festival as one requirement to be deemed a music festival is that the main reason for assembly of the people is music.

Daath 474

imported post

So does this count as an outdoor music festival? If so, doesn't that make the majority of Wenatchee off-limits during the parade? I can't even go to the food court? Man, I'm pretty pissed off about this.

Daath 474

imported post

Another question just came to my mind as well....

What about INDOOR music festivals? Provided they are not 21+ at a bar or something, would that be a legal place to carry?

joeroket

imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
So does this count as an outdoor music festival? If so, doesn't that make the majority of Wenatchee off-limits during the parade? I can't even go to the food court? Man, I'm pretty pissed off about this.

Did you read my previous post?

joeroket

imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
Another question just came to my mind as well....

What about INDOOR music festivals? Provided they are not 21+ at a bar or something, would that be a legal place to carry?
Unless the establishment asks you to leave, more than likely it would be legal.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

After looking at the webpage for the Apple Blossom Festival, I would say that it is not an outdoor music festival.

The Washington State Apple Blossom Festival is a festival held annually in Wenatchee, Washington, self-proclaimed the "Apple Capital of the World" due to the valley's many apple orchards. The Apple Blossom Festival is a two-week festival, running the last weekend in April to the first weekend in May.

The Festival includes a Grand Parade, a youth parade, an arts and crafts festival, A carnival, A food fair, and other amusements.

The Festival is estimated to bring over 100,000 visitors to Wenatchee, a city with a population of 29,022 in the 2004 census.

Daath 474

imported post

Oh, I like the updated information. That looks very promising! I was thinking about calling the local police and asking, but I wasn't sure if I wanted their "business" line or to call the sheriff.

XD45PlusP

imported post

Daath 474 wrote:

No and No.

I called and asked for ya. Nope, no Outdoor Music Festival Permit.. :cool:

http://www.appleblossom.org/

XD

XD45PlusP

imported post

Daath 474 wrote:
Who did you call? I was just about to call the local police and their offices are closed as of 5pm! LOL!

The apple blossom festival offices.... (509) 662-3618

Don't call the police to ask for any kind of permission... You don't need it.

Daath 474

imported post

Oh nice! You rock! I think I'm still going to call the local police or sheriff tomorrow anyway just so that I have a confirmed conversation with someone I can cite in case any local (or otherwise) police try to tell me otherwise. I feel a lot better and I am looking forward to going to the festival with my girlfriend and her kid.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

(1) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gatheredprimarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment.

Food, parade etc would indicate its not primarily a music festival you answered your own question.

pri·mar·i·ly [ prī mérrəlee ]

adverb

Definition:

1.chiefly:mainly or mostly

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
[/b]Definition of what a "music festival" is....RCW 70.108.020

[/b]For the purposes of this chapter the following words and phrases shall have the indicated meanings:

(1) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment NO, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more YESand where the duration of the program is five hours or longer YES: PROVIDED, That this definition shall not be applied to any regularly established permanent place of worship, stadium, athletic field, arena, auditorium, coliseum, or other similar permanently established places of assembly for assemblies which do not exceed by more than two hundred fifty people the maximum seating capacity of the structure where the assembly is held: PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds YESnor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.
Look at the definitions above. The very first definition fails, therefore it is NOT an outdoor music festival.

Daath 474

imported post

You guys are so awesome! Thank you... I feel 100% confident now about open-carrying at the event. I'll try to get a picture of us at the food fair and post it!