• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am Shocked ! ! !

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Tomas wrote:
My question now is since the same jury did NOT find that the officer fired in self defense, why was it not murder?
Tomas I am sure it lays with in the Jury Instructions and what they were asked to decide on.

WPIC 16.01 Justifiable Homicide—Peace Officer or Others In Aid of Officer

It is a defense to a charge of [murder][manslaughter] that the homicide was justifiable as defined in this instruction. Homicide or the use of deadly force is justifiable: [when necessarily used by a peace officer to overcome actual resistance to the execution of the legal process, mandate, or order of a court or officer, or in discharge of a legal duty][or] [when necessarily used by a peace officer or person acting under the officer's command and in the officer's aid [to arrest or apprehend a person who the officer reasonably believes has committed, has attempted to commit, is committing, or is attempting to commit a felony][or][to prevent the escape of a person from a federal or state correctional facility or in retaking a person who escapes from such a facility][or][to prevent the escape of a person from a county or city jail or holding facility if the person has been arrested for, charged with, or convicted of a felony][or][to lawfully suppress a riot if the actor or another participant is armed with a deadly weapon]. In considering whether to use deadly force to arrest or apprehend any person for the commission of any crime, a peace officer must have probable cause to believe that the suspect, if not apprehended, poses a threat of serious physical harm to others. Among the circumstances that may be considered by a peace officer as a “threat of serious physical harm” are the following: (a) The suspect threatens a peace officer with a weapon or displays a weapon in a manner that could reasonably be construed as threatening; or (b) There is probable cause to believe that the suspect has committed any crime involving the infliction or threatened infliction of serious physical harm. Under these circumstances deadly force may also be used if necessary to prevent escape from the officer, when, if feasible, some warning is given.] [A peace officer shall not be held criminally liable for using deadly force without malice and with a good faith belief that such act is justifiable.] The State has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the homicide was not justifiable. If you find that the State has not proved the absence of this defense beyond a reasonable doubt, it will be your duty to return a verdict of not guilty.

joeroket

imported post

BigDave wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:
BigDave is right - if I were a murderer I would hope to get away with it! Sylvia is also correct about some people being selective in their faith in the system. That's the beauty of being skeptical - I never have faith in anything!
Wow what a comment Bob, you must feel if you were in that position you would be guilty and hope for a reprieve?

This was not my point at all, it is that person acting with in the law and faced with a trail by a jury of their peers would be validated.

Thus jury after weighing all the facts found him not guilty but not in some eyes.
As for me I have not seen the evidence and was not in the court room thus I would hope our citizens acted correctly.

Bob is just pissed because he got his ass handed to him in court and Meade won.

Bob Warden

imported post

joeroket wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:
BigDave is right - if I were a murderer I would hope to get away with it! Sylvia is also correct about some people being selective in their faith in the system. That's the beauty of being skeptical - I never have faith in anything!
Wow what a comment Bob, you must feel if you were in that position you would be guilty and hope for a reprieve?

This was not my point at all, it is that person acting with in the law and faced with a trail by a jury of their peers would be validated.

Thus jury after weighing all the facts found him not guilty but not in some eyes.
As for me I have not seen the evidence and was not in the court room thus I would hope our citizens acted correctly.

You found me out. You're so smart! I don't have an actual opinion, I'm just pissed because I got my ass handed to me!

joeroket

imported post

Bob Warden wrote:
joeroket wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:

You found me out. You're so smart! I don't have an actual opinion, I'm just pissed because I got my ass handed to me!
Yes I did. Yes I am. Yes you are.

killchain

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
Bob Warden wrote:
Murderers belong in prison, not gainfully employed. This guy got away with murder.
And the driver almost got away with driving his Corvette with a BAL of .26. If I had to choose between the drunk driver meeting his maker and a car packed with a family down the street from the bar the drunk driver just left meeting their maker...bye-bye drunk driver.

Shhh! Be quiet, Sylvia! Some people here believe we should abolish DUI laws. And if you're pro-cop you're a troll, apparently. -_-

What does this have to do with Open Carry? Nothing.

killchain

imported post

Bersa.380 wrote:
I know and fully understand that LEO bashing is against the rules on this site, and if I get banned for starting this post so be it.

Everett Police Officer Troy Meade was found not gulity of murder today ... this is one big step forward for police officers to get more agressive and shoot your sorry butt and then scream in court "I feared for my life"

Facts: Meade was furtrated with an unarmed drunk that he tazed twice. His fellow officer heard him say: "time to end this, enough is enough" before he shot him 7 times. This is un-freaking-believable, I have followed this story since it started "Officer meade lied under oath"

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100426/NEWS01/100429882

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2009/10/everett_officer_troy_meade_cha.php

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2010/04/troy_meades_murder_trial_hinge.php
Bersa! Hey, the domain is for sale!

http://ihatecops.com/

cynicist

imported post

Shocked ! I do not see why, he was judged by 12 of his peers and found not guilty is this not what we all would hope to occur if in his shoes ?
Of course, anyone who shoots someone doesn't want to go to jail. Now shall we all see ourselves in OJ's shoes?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

cynicist wrote:
Shocked ! I do not see why, he was judged by 12 of his peers and found not guilty is this not what we all would hope to occur if in his shoes ?
Of course, anyone who shoots someone doesn't want to go to jail. Now shall we all see ourselves in OJ's shoes?
What a jump lol, I would venture to say no one here attended the trial nor have intimate knowledge of the case.

Sometime our legal system appears to be some what skewed but still it is our legal system and he was judged by his peers but you do not accept that, what would you accept? Your view point only that lacks knowledge of all the facts, oh yes I can see how much better that would be.:idea:

.45ACPaddy

imported post

I've heard a metric ass-ton of opinions of both extremes. I gotta say, the jury decided not guilty on murder and manslaughter, yet didn't decide it was self defense, which piques my curiosity...

I don't think we have enough information to say one way or another. We weren't there.

The conflicting testimonies paint one picture.

But I can sure as hell say that if I were trying to get a very drunk person in a Corvette under control, and I were standing behind the car when the reverse lights flicked on, I'd be scared $#!tless for my life and probably $#!t enough bricks to build a house.

Both sides have very valid points. Which one is right? I don't know. None of us know. We weren't there and don't have enough information to determine one way or another.

However, we are presumed innocent until proven guilty. It can be a blessing and a curse. But we must remain consistent in the way we try people in court.

Bersa.380

imported post

killchain wrote:
Bersa.380 wrote:
I know and fully understand that LEO bashing is against the rules on this site, and if I get banned for starting this post so be it.

Everett Police Officer Troy Meade was found not gulity of murder today ... this is one big step forward for police officers to get more agressive and shoot your sorry butt and then scream in court "I feared for my life"

Facts: Meade was furtrated with an unarmed drunk that he tazed twice. His fellow officer heard him say: "time to end this, enough is enough" before he shot him 7 times. This is un-freaking-believable, I have followed this story since it started "Officer meade lied under oath"

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100426/NEWS01/100429882

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2009/10/everett_officer_troy_meade_cha.php

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2010/04/troy_meades_murder_trial_hinge.php
Bersa! Hey, the domain is for sale!

http://ihatecops.com/
Well are you not just one big ray of sunshine, for Pete's Sake, I don't hate cops ! I just dis-like murdering one's.