• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What ever happened to the Concealed Carry fanny pack movement?

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

Hello All,

I am just over the river and am originally from IL. I was talking to a friend and he talked about the six seconds to safety/fanny pack CCW movement. I had never heard of it and did some research and found this article. Was it found to be an illegal means of transport in IL?

http://www.concealcarry.org/illinois-carry/
Doc

DSCF2296.jpg

junglebob

imported post

No, and the Diggins decision by the Illinios Supreme Court only reinforces the legality in my mind. Yes it is legal. Yes you may get arrested by some LEO who doesn't know the transport law. Yes you should win the case if you follow the law. You may get a $50,000 settlement like Mr. Hostman did from DesPlaines if this happens.

I imagine more folks than ever are "fanny pack transporting" . I have been doing it for about 6 years now, never been stopped by a LEO, never been asked what is in the pack, except by a 10 year old.Alaw enforcement friend asked me if there was a gun in it and I said "It may or may not contain a handgun." The answer to that question is "emergency stuff, pepper spray, cell phone, and things like that" Yes I do carry pepper spray and a cell phone. My pack is an Uncle Mikes black pack.

A couple goes to a handgun class I'mtaking and mentioned reading about "fanny packtransport" the wife said she bought a fanny pack. So I would say more folks are doing it all the time. They are also getting the Pa LTC.

Thehandgun class I'm taking was for Personal Protectionin the home, butone of the instructors did mention "fanny pack transport" in passing, saying that they want to concentrate on "in home protection" but will be doing a class on "outside the home" later. One of the instructors is former ISP trooper, retired.

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

Hi Junglebob,

After reading (430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83‑2) It sounds like I a Missouri resident could "container carry" there in IL. I'll tell you what I was thinking and if you or any one else see a legal flaw with it let me know.

I was thinking about wearing a belt-able Bible carry case on my right side for the firearm and a copy of the law and a cell phone sized case for my left side to carry the mag in. I know the separation isn't required but I think I would be able to load faster that way.

Another document I would like to have is something that verifies a leather case as a legal means of storage container. Do you know where I could get that online.

Doc

PT111

imported post

That holster from Cabelasseems interesting but looks like it rides a little high for me. Earlier today for some reason and not evenhaving seen this thread I thought about the Mufti holster that was made by a company no long in business I think. It was similar to the one from Cabelas. Anyway I am not sure that would work in SC. Here the law just says concealed by the normal wear of clothing. Now as I understand from several relaible sources and do not have a copy available that the SC AG issued an interpretation that a lady's purse would be considered normal wear of clothing and similar such things as a man's brief case since they are normally carried and not just for the purpose of carrying a weapon. However these holsters do conceal the weapon but are not necessarily normal wear since they are specifically made to carry a gun. Now if it was a cell phone case that you just happened to put a gun in you could argue that case.

I have no legal opinions to base this on other than just a thought. I would say that a fanny pack would be normal clothing unless it was made by Glock and had form fitting padding and pockets for your gun. Then maybe you could have a hard time convincing a judge that it wasn't a holster.

TyGuy

imported post

The bulldog one says "cell phone holster." You could fit an Iphone or Blackberry in it.

TyGuy

imported post

I carry a copy of that in my container, in my center console, and on me when I container carry.

IANAL but I believe that it is legal. This is evidenced by all the cases involving container carry that have been dropped. Also, Horstman won $50,000 in a wrongful arrest trial for being arrested while container carrying. However, you might get arrested and have to fight it in court.

c45man

imported post

Fanny packs..... brings back memories. I remember 20 years ago when fanny pack carry was quite trendy at a time period when shall issue carry laws were being enacted in most states. The trend went out just as fast as when it came into fashion.

TyGuy

imported post

I don't use a fanny pack. My container looks like an Iphone case.

TyGuy

imported post

Yes, normally I use a Ruger LCP in a Bulldog CCW Cell Phone Holster

Pistol: http://www.ruger.com/products/lcp/index.html

Holster: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0076818230154a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=bulldog&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23]

But I sometimes use a Glock 19 in a different container.

BTW- anyone know how to put in a URL but make it a hyper link? So it would say "Click Here" instead of http://www.blah.blah.blah ?

theqbn

imported post

So just to confirm, container carry is legal with an EMPTY gun and a LOADED magazine or (revolver) speed loader, provided you are an Ilinois resident with a FOID or an out of stater eligible to purchase guns & ammo in your home state?

TyGuy

imported post

I'm not sure of the out of stater part and IANAL but it seems that container carry is legal to me. I wouldn't do it if I didn't think it was legal.

Maxpedition also makes some good cases.