• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kimber Warrior Vs Springfield XD Tactical 45

oldkim

imported post

Jverd,

Getting to your point. For durability, accuracyand service both are great guns.

As for which is better - that is really up to you and your specific needs. When you really look at these two (Kimber SA 1911 versus a DA type semi) they are really different.

If you wanted to compare a 1911 to another 1911 type gun then that would be a bit easier.

For Trigger and overall accuracy the Kimber 1911 would mostly win. For just capacity the XD (13+1 versus 8+1). Both are very durableand made by well known gun manufacturers. Cost wise the Kimber is about $1100 versus XD $600 (these are very rough estimates).

Now for fit in hand... it's very subjective. It only matters to you what feels good. My hands are different as almost everyone else. What may feel good to me may not be so for you. Also what feels good at the store may be a whole different matter when you shoot it. So, if you can.... go shoot it at a rental gun range.

Going back to capacity - since the Kimber is a single stacked gun - it's much slimmer. The XD being double stacked is a bit wider in the grip. All this goes back to what you feel.

So, let's step back a minute and review. Your relatively new to pistols. Jumping into a 45 will be challenging but not impossible by any stretch. Just know this ahead of time.

I would strongly suggest you take some instruction from aprofessional instructor. I say this so you don't learn the bad habits and costly long term effects of learning on your own. So take a bit and invest - go to a gun range and rent the guns and shoot them and go find an instructor. This initial investment will save you years and a lot of wasted ammo trying to "un learn" the bad habits one picks up when they are new to pistol shooting.

oldkim

imported post

So to put into some more detail on shooting a 45ACP.

It also depends on the size and weight of the gun. Say you shoot the same ammo of 45ACP in a 3" light weight little compact 1911 versus a full size stainless frame. The recoil will bedifferent even though you are shooting the same ammo.

The smaller and lighter the gun the more recoil, regardless of caliber compared to a full size and heavier frame gun.

Let us know which one you finally end up with and why.

KansasMustang

imported post

I bought my XD 45 a year or more ago. From the box I have not yet missed a target wit nary a round. at $495 brand spankin new it's by far the best weapon I have ever owned. I have heard nothing but foul words about Kimbers,,too finicky about what they're fed and failures to feed and extract. My brother has had the same experience with his XD45 and they are now coming out with the XDM in 45. Just my opinion is all. Ypu'll spend no less than 1200$ for a Kimber. But hey, you do what you want.

open4years

imported post

Jverd wrote:
open4years, If you don't mine it would be great if you look at the specific guns to let me know what you think, Thanks.

I apologize for not reading this sooner. I haven't read beyond this post, so you may have already made your decision. I did look at the Kimber that you are/were considering and it seems to be a good choice. I don't have a tactical XD, but I have the XD Compact .45. The main complaint about my XD is the slide is very hard to rack. It is so much harder than any of my pistols and I'm considering if I need such a pistol for SD, when I might not be able to clear a malfuntion. However, from asking questions on a XD forum, this seems to only be the case with the compact.

I don't recall if you have shot both. If that is at all possible, I would do that first. I don't know if you have shot both SA and DA. There are so many factors to consider such as: weight difference, capacity, SA vs DA, size, etc.

open4years

imported post

You have gone silent. Does that mean we have made your decision more difficult. One thing I wanted to share. When I decided to buy my first pistol, I wanted a .45. I knew that Colt had a light weight .45 called Colt Commander. It was shorter than a normal .45 and Its frame was made of a lighter alloy.

I had heard so many people who said the .45 kicks like a mule and the Commander has more recoil as it is lighter. It didn't matter as I saw a new Commander at a pawn shop, and I bought it!

I was very nervous when I shot it and I expected that HUGE recoil that everyone was talking about. I slowly pulled the trigger, it went Bang. Then I started laughing! The recoil was nothing to me and that is still the case. The only gun that had a bit more recoil was a friend's .44 magnum. There was more muzzle flip, but even that didn't scare me.

Use both hands, keep a firm grip on the gun. Your grip should be at the top of the grip, but make sure it isn't so high that your hand is behind the slide. Slowly pull the trigger, don't jerk it. You may be nervous the first time but you will quickly get over that.

Let us know what you decided on.

soldier.53

imported post

Have you looked at the XDM .45 acp? I have the 40 S&W XDM and I love it. I all so have a Kimber PRO Carry 11 with a light rail, but I had some jam a lot of jams and sent it back to kimber it took 5 weeks to get it back I have not shot it as of to day but they told me they shot it and it worked for them? but I have 1 XD .45 acp and a 1 40 S&W and my XDM 40 S&W and they just work, and they shoot great, I love the Springfield guns I have 8 Springfield and I have never had a jam or a miss fire! the XDM .45 ACP is coming out soon and I will pick up one when they come out! Yes I love the feel of a 1911 and carry them a lot, but! I know if I have to use my XD it will work all the time! good luck and if you would like to go to the range let me know and I will let you shoot my XD and XDM!? Soldier.53 Yes I'm retired from the US Army!!!
Just one man view!!!

soldier.53

imported post

I have over 4000 rounds out of my XD .45 ACP and NO JAM It just works I have over 2000 rounds out of my XDM 40 S&W the same they just work!

open4years

imported post

soldier.53 wrote:
Have you looked at the XDM .45 acp? I have the 40 S&W XDM and I love it. I all so have a Kimber PRO Carry 11 with a light rail, but I had some jam a lot of jams and sent it back to kimber it took 5 weeks to get it back I have not shot it as of to day but they told me they shot it and it worked for them? but I have 1 XD .45 acp and a 1 40 S&W and my XDM 40 S&W and they just work, and they shoot great, I love the Springfield guns I have 8 Springfield and I have never had a jam or a miss fire! the XDM .45 ACP is coming out soon and I will pick up one when they come out! Yes I love the feel of a 1911 and carry them a lot, but! I know if I have to use my XD it will work all the time! good luck and if you would like to go to the range let me know and I will let you shoot my XD and XDM!? Soldier.53 Yes I'm retired from the US Army!!!
Just one man view!!!

I posted earlier in this thread that I have a XD 45 Compact. It has the hardest slide, to rack, than any of my Glocks and 1911's. It is so bad that I have trouble chambering a round. So I worry about using it for SD and having a jam I coudn't clear. I do have nerve damage in my arms, but others on a XD forum say the same. They also say that only the compact has that problem.

I like the concept of carrying a pistol, with a shorter butt end, with higher capacity mags for reload. Of course you can do that with Glocks too.

Has anyone shot the XDm .45 yet or has it been produced yet?

What state are you in, regarding going shooting?

soldier.53

imported post

The more XD out there, and in time they will come out with a 22 kit for the XD's we need to call them and just ask if they will make a 22 kit? I hope they do! I feel they put out a great gun!

soldier.53

imported post

I hope I'm doing this right, but I have a XD 45 Compact, and I have shot over 3000 rounds down range, and I have not had a miss fire or a jam! I feel this gun is a good carry gun, and I put a C/ Trace on it! is I carry it at night all the time.

soldier.53

imported post

Please Look at Front Sight at frontsight.com if you take there class they will give you a free gun that is a XD 9mm 40 S&W or a 45 ACP! and you need to see what they do out there what a great place to shoot!!!!!

heresyourdipstickjimmy

I have over 4000 rounds out of my XD .45 ACP and NO JAM It just works I have over 2000 rounds out of my XDM 40 S&W the same they just work!

When I had mine, I was even able to shoot some pretty dirty and nasty el-cheapo ammo without issues. I only had one misfire in 2500 rounds and we (my armor and I) thought that was due to a hard primer.

.45acp

thanks steve ive been wanting to go to some kinda defensive handgun training and have heard alot about front site

I have not been to FS, but I know several folks that have taken the basic and advanced pistol classes and all were happy with the facilities, instructors and skill set improvement. I see that you are over in Farmington, Gunsite in Paulden, AZ would be an easy drive also.

http://www.gunsite.com/main/

Steve