• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kimber Warrior Vs Springfield XD Tactical 45

Jverd

imported post

Hi all, I am going to buy either the Kimber Warrior or the Springfield XD Tactical 45 acp. I will be using it for target and carry on search and rescue in the woods and mountains. I will put at least 10-20K rounds through either in a short period of time and 45 acp is expensive. I know the 1911 has a 22 conversion kit witch will make up the price difference of the guns in less then 4000 rounds. Both feel goodto hold and aim. I am looking to compare the Durability, Accuracy, Reliability, Safety, Cost (including ammo) and working in harsh conditions. Any comments would be appreciated.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

:shock:If you have the cash to enable you to put 10,000-20,000 rounds of .45acp through a firearm in a short period of time, then I would imagine that you also have the money to be able to comfortably afford BOTH guns. So I say just buy both of them.

EDIT: The cheapest .45 ball ammo I've seen (other than reloads) is the Federal Champion line that can (sometimes) be found at Wal-Mart for around $16 for 50 rounds, and that is if you are lucky enough to find it. Let's assume that you can find it, and that you don't even have to worry about the 6-box per customer per day limit. That works out to $3200 for 10k rounds or $6400 for 20k.

I'm guessing the XD can be had for no more than $700. Let's do the math. Buy the Kimber, then just buy 2200 rounds less (using the above figures, this will save you $704) than what you had originally planned, and you have the money for both guns.

This is a no-brainer (for me, at least) ;)

Jverd

imported post

One of my problems is I don't haveenough money to put that many rounds on 45 acp but I can do it with 22 which is way I like the conversion kit so much also in the town I am in other issues I can only get one of them. So if I get the XD I will be forced to shoot less. Any thoughts on compering the two?

Jverd

imported post

One of my problems is I don't haveenough money to put that many rounds on 45 acp but I can do it with 22 which is way I like the conversion kit so much also in the town I am in other issues I can only get one of them. So if I get the XD I will be forced to shoot less. Any thoughts on compering the two?

Ruger

imported post

OK.. I was just going off of what you said. You originally said that "I will put at least 10-20K rounds through either in a short period of time and 45 acp is expensive."

Maybe I'm just weird, but I don't understand why anyone would want to convert a Kimber 1911 to shoot .22's.

Jverd

imported post

Sorry, I did say either, thanks for your responses. The reason I would want the ability to convert to 22 is to work on accuracy. I have not shot handguns too much and want to practice a lot without costing thousands of dollars. I will alsofire 45s often to get used to that ammo as well.The conversions is only one part ofwhat I am trying to find out, I am more interested in compering the two guns.

Ruger

imported post

IMO, the Springfield is the better choice as a first/only handgun. Some will no doubt flame me for saying that, but it is my opinion, so no flame wars, please.

Honestly, if you do buy the Kimber, I think you'll find that it is going to feel VERY different shooting .45's vs. .22's. If you plan on carrying this gun for self defense, I think you should practice shooting .45's, and NOT .22's, as this is what you would be shooting when your life is potentially on the line.

open4years

imported post

I have the XD and two kimbers, but neither is the one you are considering. My two Kimbers are not what I would want to take into the woods. But that is because one is the Grand Raptor and the Ultra Raptor and I would hate to get them scratched up.

But, one can look at it from the perspective of which gun is the best built pistol that I would trust my life to, it would be one of my Kimbers. I don't see where it is written that firing .22 through a .45 is going to put your life at risk. Most people by a .22 conversion kit so they can shoot said gun more often.

You could shoot .45 to get comfortable with the recoil, etc., then shoot .22 and you are still holding the same grip, pulling the same trigger, etc. If you look at it from the perspective of only shooting .45, you will shoot as often as you can afford it versus shooting .22 and therefore shooting the SAME pistol much more often - I say Kimber

I, personally, think I need to change my outlook on my Kimbers. I have my most expensive, best built and hand fitted pistols sitting at home while I trust my life to a DA polymer pistol, when I really prefer SA.

I hadn't heard that Kimber's workman ship has declined in recent years. Mine were purchased quite awhile ago, so that is not something that I have to take into consideration.

I should have looked at your Kimber choice, but the last time I looked (quite awhile ago) Kimber made SA pistols. If so, you have to also decide about SA vs DA. Many consider DA is safer, when in reality, if you pull the trigger - it goes Boom. On most of the SA's I have, if you 'turn' the safety off, then depress the grip safety at the same time the trigger is pulled. then it goes Bang. Which one is the safest to you.

Lastly, if by wearing a Kimber you will constantly worry about scratches, etc., then you are better off with a XD. You also need to consider weight differences, number of rounds, etc

So, this is something that may require a sheet of paper wfere you list each pistol across the top and write all the pros and cons under each one.

It is something that I haven't quite decided for certain yet. So, only you can decide for you. I just wanted to give you some things to consider. I'll go look at the Kimber, that you are considering, and contact you if I see anything major to consider - if you would like.

But my decision, right now, would be for the Kimber based on having the .22 conversion allowing more practice time.

Jverd

imported post

open4years, If you don't mine it would be great if you look at the specific guns to let me know what you think, Thanks.

jayspapa

imported post

I have the Kimber tactical ultra ( 3 in. bbl. ) I bought this pistol in 2008 and have had no problems with it. I had 2 FTF and one stovepipe in the first 50 rounds. That was it. nothing since.

I have shot a SAxd in .40 s&w with a 4 in. bbl. . Accurracy seemed to be about the same . The only problem I had with it was that I wasn't letting the trigger return far enough to reset sometimes.

Either pistol would do you fine for what you want but haveing the conversion for the Kimber, so you can shoot .22's ,would be the cheaper way to shoot. I wish I could get a .22 conversion for my 3 in. bbl Kimber.

Good luck , which ever you choose.

Ruger

imported post

jayspapa wrote:
I have the Kimber tactical ultra ( 3 in. bbl. ) I bought this pistol in 2008 and have had no problems with it. I had 2 FTF and one stovepipe in the first 50 rounds.

Your first two sentences seem to contradict one another.

Going back to the original debate between the two guns.... Although it may be cheaper to shoot .22's, and it IS the same grip, trigger, etc., my earlier suggestion to practice with the .45's instead is mainly due to the differences when shooting in bursts. Try shooting 3 & 4-shot bursts with .45's and then do the same with .22's. Big difference. If all you're doing when you practice is taking controlled single shots, then its not as big a deal. I prefer to practice taking between 2 & 4 shots at a time, rapidly, to better emulate defensive shooting. It is a lot easier to keep shots on target like this with a .22 than with a .45. Hence my earlier advice.

To quote the great philosopherForrest Gump: "That's all I've got to say about that." :D

Jverd

imported post

Thanks for your inputs, does anyone know how durable,accurate, andreliable each of the guns are and how they would compare to each other in this field. Has anyone fired both of these, if so witch one feels better?

jayspapa

imported post

Ruger,

I don't consider haveing 3 jams out of the first 50 roundsfired , a problem out of a brand new gun. Many different brandsof FMJ to several different brands of JHP. There have been no other troubles with 4000 - 5000 rounds through it.

As to shooting .22's out of his Kimber , I don't remember the OP saying he wasn't going to shoot .45's as well. You are correct , and I believe the OP knows that to stay in practice , you have to shoot several shots in a row to practice control and staying on target with the .45 . But by shooting the ..22's , he can still get out more oftenand practice the trigger pull and grip position and havefun while doing it .

tcmech

imported post

I would buy the springfield and a22 ruger mk3.

I have also seen that there are conversion kits for glocks out there. I don't know if it is for a fourty five or not. I do know that they have them for the 9mm's though.

halljt3

imported post

If your looking for a .22 in the 1911 platform you might want to take a look at the Chaippa Puma 1911-.22 you can get it for around 300$ http://www.tds-us.com/viewitem.php/tds/pd2022796/CHIAPPA_PUMA_1911-22

Im not fimiliar with the kimber 22. conversion kits but i would imagine they are around the same price as the Chiappa 1911-.22, so personally i would go with that and the xd but since im a Glock guy I would go with the the Glock 21.

Hope that helps.