Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost drew my weapon today!

Post imported post

Ok so let's set the back ground for this tale... Last year I had my house raised up 4.5 feet, to get out of the flood plane, and that project was partially funded by FEMA. This project was completed last July.

I also live in a rural area on 16 acres. My house sits 45 yards from the road, and my backyard another30 yards or so, once you walk around my house and my fence.

Now this morning a little before noon, I'm inside working out, and my kids are in the backyard playing, when quite loudly my son screams "dad, there is some one here we don't know, andTHEY are taking pictures of us"!

So I'm all pumped up from doing pull ups and push ups, the blood is already flowing heavy as it is. I take a quick look out the back window and don't see any strangers, my son did not say WHERE the strangers were on the property (he is six and I instructed him afterwards to give me a location next time). So I grab my P11 in my IWB, wearing only a pair of black jean shorts and my weapon I head out the front door and see a strange car with Maryland plates!

All I think of is "released sex offender" looking for a victim. I head around the side of the house towards the backyard, and out from behind my garage comes a heavy set strange woman with a camera 20 yards away from me. My first words are "who are you, and what are you doing here?" I'm a heart beat away from placing my hand on my weapon, when behind my garage comes Mike, the go between guy for me , the county and FEMA, holy sh*t, the adrenaline is going away , but I'mI was still blunt about what he was doing there.

He said he was taking pictures of the house work to finish the paper work for FEMA, I walked up and shook his hand, and he was not shaken at all, as he was acustomed to seeing me where my gun around during the construction phase of our house raising. His lady friend on the other hand seemed a little nervous and was quick to stand behind Mike.

We exchanged a little small talk and they left, the woman walking a little faster than him,lol.I think I handled it well, he did not call or knock or anything. I'm happy I had my gun, and even happierI did not need it!

Post imported post

Tell captain dips**t that, despite his purpose on YOUR PROPERTY, his authority to trespass does not include traipsing around uninvited and unannounced.

A simple knock on the door and a "Howdy-do?" would suffice.

That just reeks of idiocy. I would have shot him anyway, just to make the point.**

(** I am, of course, kidding. He's still an idiot.)
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

ALWAYS knock on a door before snooping around. That avoids situations like the one you had. Good thing it was only the FEMA people, but they should have had more common sense.

Post imported post

As Cletus, the slack-jawed yokel might say "Should'a but didn'a."

The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

For real man, it seems like atleast 3-4 times a week I hear of some poor kid gone missing, only to be found dead at the hands of some f*cking pervert!

Post imported post

Pagan wrote:
    Ok so let's set the back ground for this tale... Last year I had my house raised up 4.5 feet, to get out of the flood plane, and that project was partially funded by FEMA. This project was completed last July.

I also live in a rural area on 16 acres. My house sits 45 yards from the road, and my backyard another30 yards or so, once you walk around my house and my fence.

Now this morning a little before noon, I'm inside working out, and my kids are in the backyard playing, when quite loudly my son screams "dad, there is some one here we don't know, andTHEY are taking pictures of us"!

So I'm all pumped up from doing pull ups and push ups, the blood is already flowing heavy as it is. I take a quick look out the back window and don't see any strangers, my son did not say WHERE the strangers were on the property (he is six and I instructed him afterwards to give me a location next time). So I grab my P11 in my IWB, wearing only a pair of black jean shorts and my weapon I head out the front door and see a strange car with Maryland plates!

All I think of is "released sex offender" looking for a victim. I head around the side of the house towards the backyard, and out from behind my garage comes a heavy set strange woman with a camera 20 yards away from me. My first words are "who are you, and what are you doing here?" I'm a heart beat away from placing my hand on my weapon, when behind my garage comes Mike, the go between guy for me , the county and FEMA, holy sh*t, the adrenaline is going away , but I'mI was still blunt about what he was doing there.

He said he was taking pictures of the house work to finish the paper work for FEMA, I walked up and shook his hand, and he was not shaken at all, as he was acustomed to seeing me where my gun around during the construction phase of our house raising. His lady friend on the other hand seemed a little nervous and was quick to stand behind Mike.

We exchanged a little small talk and they left, the woman walking a little faster than him,lol.I think I handled it well, he did not call or knock or anything. I'm happy I had my gun, and even happierI did not need it!
    "We exchanged a little small talk and they left, the woman walking a little faster than him,lol."

This more likely had to do with your running around in daisy dukes than your gun.

seriously thoughglad it turned out ok.

Post imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
    running around in daisy dukes than your gun.
    Or h e left the trap door open and she was afraid or embarrassed for him.

Had that been my property they would have found out how fast a Bull Terrier can clear 20+yards
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Anyone who doesn't have the decency to knock on my front door gets to meet Mr. Glock at the back door!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

It's been a while since I saw you pagan and I have never seen you only in shorts, so are there other tattoos that might have scared the poor poor lady? :P

I probably would have grabbed my shotgun and approached them with the business end pointed in their general direction. Since I was originally from up north, I thought that was the proper southern-style welcoming we are supposed to give. :-)

Post imported post

wylde007 wrote:
    As Cletus, the slack-jawed yokel might say "Should'a but didn'a."

Some folks'lll never eat a skunk
    But then again, some folks'll
    Like Cletus, the slack-jawed yokel
    Most folks'll never lose a toe
    But then again, some folks'll
    Like Cletus, the slack-jawed yokel

Post imported post

67GT390FB wrote:

This more likely had to do with your running around in daisy dukes than your gun.
    My shorts come down just above my knees, I reserve my daisy dukes for midnight strolls in SanFran.:celebrate:what:

Post imported post

Pagan wrote:
    67GT390FB wrote:
    My shorts come down just above my knees, I reserve my daisy dukes for midnight strolls in SanFran.:celebrate:what:

Post imported post

@ fat man in "Daisy Dukes"...

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Do not click on this link unless you're brave:what:

http://thebosh.com/upload/2008/06/19...hong%20man.jpg

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

One of the reasons for this sort of thing is the diminishing respect and reverence shown towards private property over the past 50+ years. When I was growing up, you just didn't onto someone's property without permission. It was understood.

But during the 60's this respect for property turned into something else - property was considered by many to be no longer sacrosanct. We see this today in developments where kids think nothing of crossing your lawn to get somewhere or actually stopping and playing on your property. And it's because their parents are the product of the kids of the 60's.

In 1999, my wife and I wanted to have a house built on a particular lot in our development. She was concerned because there were train tracks approximately 300 yards away and wanted to know how loud the train was. So one day while in the neighborhood, I saw a man tending his lawn across from the lot we wanted. I walked over to his side of the street and asked him if I could come up on his driveway and talk to him. This is called respect. In passing, I happened to mention this to someone at my work and that guy thought I was crazy to have asked permission (he lived in Maryland and about my age). Obviously he was not raised as I was.

So now we find FEMA people, and others, thinking nothing of wandering onto someone's property for whatever reason and then acting put out when faced with the owner and his gun.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:

Ow my eyes! I hope that wasn't a self portrait Peter!

To stop these fat-man-in-a-thong images, if you never saw Pagan he is lanky not fat. The image of a pony tail and tats are easier to live with than the link above!

Post imported post

45acpForMe wrote:
    peter nap wrote:

Ow my eyes! I hope that wasn't a self portrait Peter!

To stop these fat-man-in-a-thong images, if you never saw Pagan he is lanky not fat. The image of a pony tail and tats are easier to live with than the link above!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    One of the reasons for this sort of thing is the diminishing respect and reverence shown towards private property over the past 50+ years. When I was growing up, you just didn't onto someone's property without permission. It was understood.

But during the 60's this respect for property turned into something else - property was considered by many to be no longer sacrosanct. We see this today in developments where kids think nothing of crossing your lawn to get somewhere or actually stopping and playing on your property. And it's because their parents are the product of the kids of the 60's.

In 1999, my wife and I wanted to have a house built on a particular lot in our development. She was concerned because there were train tracks approximately 300 yards away and wanted to know how loud the train was. So one day while in the neighborhood, I saw a man tending his lawn across from the lot we wanted. I walked over to his side of the street and asked him if I could come up on his driveway and talk to him. This is called respect. In passing, I happened to mention this to someone at my work and that guy thought I was crazy to have asked permission (he lived in Maryland and about my age). Obviously he was not raised as I was.

So now we find FEMA people, and others, thinking nothing of wandering onto someone's property for whatever reason and then acting put out when faced with the owner and his gun.
    That's the most relevant and telling post I've seen here for a very long time!

The sad thing is, if he had pointed the gun at them, he'd probably have been charged with brandishing.

McX

Post imported post

great wide eyed kitty pic in this thread. used it as a background for my desktop hilarious!

Post imported post

I'm going to take a different tack than most commenters so far. I think that you seriously overreacted.

Point #1--The vast majority of rape, child abuse (BOTH sexual and otherwise), and similar crimes are committed by someone the victim knows. Sources vary somewhat, but check any source that you care to, and you will see that the stereotypical "stranger danger" is vastly overblown.

Despite this, however, more and more people are becoming more and more hysterical about perfectly harmless activities. As this headline says, "Father-of-three branded a 'pervert' - for photographing his own children in public park."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1035315/Father-branded-pervert--photographing-children-public-park.html#ixzz0mPNe8Dp7

Point #2--A young child is unlikely to be a reliable source of information when he's excited or alarmed. Possible questions to ask in such a circumstance--Where are the people located? Are they standing directly in front of the children? Are they taking pictures from a car parked by the side of the road? Are they merely taking pictures of the property in general? Etc., etc.

A report like your son gave certainly should be checked out, but it is not necessarily something to get excited over.

Post imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
    I'm going to take a different tack than most commenters so far. I think that you seriously overreacted.

Point #1--The vast majority of rape, child abuse (BOTH sexual and otherwise), and similar crimes are committed by someone the victim knows. Sources vary somewhat, but check any source that you care to, and you will see that the stereotypical "stranger danger" is vastly overblown.

Despite this, however, more and more people are becoming more and more hysterical about perfectly harmless activities. As this headline says, "Father-of-three branded a 'pervert' - for photographing his own children in public park."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1035315/Father-branded-pervert--photographing-children-public-park.html#ixzz0mPNe8Dp7

Point #2--A young child is unlikely to be a reliable source of information when he's excited or alarmed. Possible questions to ask in such a circumstance--Where are the people located? Are they standing directly in front of the children? Are they taking pictures from a car parked by the side of the road? Are they merely taking pictures of the property in general? Etc., etc.

A report like your son gave certainly should be checked out, but it is not necessarily something to get excited over.
    I think you're missing the point.
    It really doesn't matter if the trespasser is a child molester or a burglar or a deranged ax murderer...or for that matter, just someone poking their nose where it doesn't belong, it needs to be looked into.

If he doesn't have his gun when he looks into it, he's unlikely to be able to get it if he needs it.

Post imported post

Flyer22 wrote:

Try telling your "vast majority" story to the parents of the Lisk/Silva girls, who were abducted, raped, murdered and dumped by a total stranger here in the 90s. Having lived through that nightmare (second only to the DC snipers in generating fear and concern among the population), I will tell you that it is never inappropriate to immediately assert control over a stranger in your yard. Never.

Now I'm not saying you should go running in, weapon drawn, full tactical mode, blah blah, but I think the OP acted quite appropriately.

TFred

Post imported post

Flyer22 wrote:

So according to your logic, I should teach my children that having stangers show up at our house and start taking pictures of them is OK and that neighbors and friends should be watched more carefully? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

Also, had I not be excercising at the time, my gun would have already been on my person in an OC fashion, and my attire would have been the same as well. So either way, ANYBODY coming to my property announced or otherwise would have been met by a partially clothed, armed man, only difference would be thatI would have had a friendlier tone of voice upon first contact.

My response was level headed and direct, IMO. Also, Mike, later sent my wife an e-mail apologizing for scaring my children, and said he under stood my reaction.

Post imported post

Flyer22 wrote:

So according to your logic, I should teach my children that having stangers show up at our house and start taking pictures of them is OK and that neighbors and friends should be watched more carefully? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

Also, had I not be excercising at the time, my gun would have already been on my person in an OC fashion, and my attire would have been the same as well. So either way, ANYBODY coming to my property announced or otherwise would have been met by a partially clothed, armed man, only difference would be thatI would have had a friendlier tone of voice upon first contact.

My response was level headed and direct, IMO. Also, Mike, later sent my wife an e-mail apologizing for scaring my children, and said he under stood my reaction.

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:

I get on anyone's case if they are wandering through my yard w/o having gotten permission to do so first.

Had a Norfolk City Codes inspector wandering around my back yard. I got all over his case. I gave him a clear warning that unless he could produce a clear, legal, and valid reason for trespass, the police were going to be his best friends shortly.

He actually had the nerve to tell me he could do whatever he wanted. :shock:At any rate, I told him to beat feet. I grew up in the country and we respected each other's property rights. He told me "Sir, in the Big City we do things a little differently here".

He gave up tryingto impress me when I told him he could have a say in the matter once he started paying my mortgage and that if he was unwilling to, I would happily show him the street.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast