• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Info Sought on New Orleans Police Chief Candidates

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The selection committee for the new Superintendent of Police in New Orleans has announced the final 6 candidates. If anyone knows anything positive or negative about any of them, please put it up here. We here in New Orleans would especially like to know their positions/records regarding armed citizens either CC or OC.

Link to full article: http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/04/5_of_6_new_orleans_police_chie.html

Pertinent quote:
The finalists will be interviewed in the next two days in New Orleans by members of Mayor-elect Mitch Landrieu's search committee, according to sources familiar with the process.

The candidates with ties to the department are former NOPD Assistant Superintendent Ronal Serpas and former Capt. Louis Dabdoub. The four others are John M. Harrington, chief of police in St. Paul, Minn.; Bruce Preston Marquis, chief of police in Norfolk, Va.; John R. Batiste, chief of the Washington State Patrol and a Hammond native; and Ronald Davis, police chief of East Palo Alto, Calif., the sources said.

Landrieu, who has called the selection of the city's next police chief the most important decision facing his administration, has repeatedly expressed his desire to have a new leader in place for his inauguration on Monday.
BTW Serpas is currently Chief in Nashville.

Huck

imported post

Serpas is a friggin moron who needs to drop the Crispy Creme donut habit! He bases the actions of gun owners on b-westerns. I understand, from what I've read on Sayuncle,that he's also very anti-second ammendment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pfCRQmxHmE

East Palo Alto PD is the same department that Detective Rod Tuason is a member of. I'm sure that you remember him, he's the cop that advocated shootig OCers. Since Davis has'nt done anything about this it's obvious that he approves. I'd say that Davis is very unfriendly to OC and most likely to 2A rights.

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_14361484?nclick_check=1

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The selection has been narrowed down to Serpas, Harrington, and Davis.

Surely there's more than one member who knows something about these guys.

paramedic70002

imported post

NO would have done well to get Marquis. He has run Norfolk PD like the proverbial tight ship. Unfortunately for NO, with what I (and apparently Chief Marquis) have seen and heard about the NOPD, he has decided to withdraw his application. I have a feeling that he wouldn't have lasted long anyway. Either he would have quit in disgust or would have been fired for trying to mold the department into something honorable.

I hope I haven't offended anyone by my comments (speculations).

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Remember, when a cop gets up there high enough to become Chief of Police, he also immediately turns into a politician...his true 'cop days' are over. ButI guess that's true of management in general: Most at the top lose street-realityand being intouch with those they left behind. Or, theyjust go into denial in order to play the game and get along with the mayor/city council.

Consequently, it's more accurate to think of police chiefs as politicians...which almost always mean liberals.

But who would be able to do anything in crime-ridden New Orleans anyway? Only PC 'efforts' would be allowed and those won't accomplish anything. I'd hate to have that job as it seems doomed to failure. Maybe the best to be expected is just keeping it from getting any worse there.

-- John D.