• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tuscaloosa PD does Gun BuyBack

aadvark

imported post

I will write The City of Tuscaloosa..,again, because; they [The City] does not seem to be getting the picture!

Alabama Codes 1975 11-45-1.1 and 11-80-11 reserve Firearm-related matters to The State of Alabama.

Section 11-80-11
Regulation of gun shows, etc.; authority to bring or settle certain lawsuits reserved to Attorney General.
(a) No county or municipal corporation, instrumentality, or political subdivision thereof, by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, shall regulate in any manner gun shows, the possession, ownership, transport, carrying, transfer, sale, purchase, licensing, registration or use of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, firearms dealers, or dealers in firearm components.

Section 11-45-1.1
Subject matter of handguns reserved to State Legislature; power of municipality to adopt certain ordinances; concurrent jurisdiction of municipal courts with district courts.
No incorporated municipality shall have the power to enact any ordinance, rule, or regulation which shall tax, restrict, prevent, or in any way affect the possession or ownership of handguns by the citizens of this state. The entire subject matter of handguns is reserved to the State Legislature. This section shall not be construed to limit or restrict the power of a municipality to adopt ordinances which make the violation of a state handgun law a violation of a municipal ordinance to the same extent as other state law violations, or to limit or restrict the power of a municipal court to exercise concurrent jurisdiction with the district court over violations of state handgun laws which may be prosecuted as breaches of a municipal ordinance.

Essentially, whenever Tuscaloosa offers a Citizen a $50 Gift Card to their favorite non-Firearm vendor, they are regulating something, two things actually, which are prohibited from them, namely:

1. Handguns themselves,the subjectmatter of which is reserved to The State of Alabama per Alabama Code 1975 11-45-1.1, and

2. Firearms, in General, which is also Illegal under Alabama Code 1975 11-80-11, as Tuscaloosa is, in effect, regulating their [Handguns, Pistols, Assault Rifles (codename for Semi-Automatic Firearms), etc.] sale, purchase, and transfer.

ThisAct is Illegal.

eye95

imported post

aadvark wrote:
I will write The City of Tuscaloosa..,again, because; they [The City] does not seem to be getting the picture!

Alabama Codes 1975 11-45-1.1 and 11-80-11 reserve Firearm-related matters to The State of Alabama.

Section 11-80-11
Regulation of gun shows, etc.; authority to bring or settle certain lawsuits reserved to Attorney General.
(a) No county or municipal corporation, instrumentality, or political subdivision thereof, by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, shall regulate in any manner gun shows, the possession, ownership, transport, carrying, transfer, sale, purchase, licensing, registration or use of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, firearms dealers, or dealers in firearm components.

Section 11-45-1.1
Subject matter of handguns reserved to State Legislature; power of municipality to adopt certain ordinances; concurrent jurisdiction of municipal courts with district courts.
No incorporated municipality shall have the power to enact any ordinance, rule, or regulation which shall tax, restrict, prevent, or in any way affect the possession or ownership of handguns by the citizens of this state. The entire subject matter of handguns is reserved to the State Legislature. This section shall not be construed to limit or restrict the power of a municipality to adopt ordinances which make the violation of a state handgun law a violation of a municipal ordinance to the same extent as other state law violations, or to limit or restrict the power of a municipal court to exercise concurrent jurisdiction with the district court over violations of state handgun laws which may be prosecuted as breaches of a municipal ordinance.

Essentially, whenever Tuscaloosa offers a Citizen a $50 Gift Card to their favorite non-Firearm vendor, they are regulating something, two things actually, which are prohibited from them, namely:

1. Handguns themselves,the subjectmatter of which is reserved to The State of Alabama per Alabama Code 1975 11-45-1.1, and

2. Firearms, in General, which is also Illegal under Alabama Code 1975 11-80-11, as Tuscaloosa is, in effect, regulating their [Handguns, Pistols, Assault Rifles (codename for Semi-Automatic Firearms), etc.] sale, purchase, and transfer.

ThisAct is Illegal.
They are not regulating the sale. They are the buyer. One cannot argue that they may not be the buyer of guns. HPD would be most upset. Of course, once they own the guns, they would be free to destroy them.

If they want to participate in this stupidity, and if the citizenry of Huntsville are foolish enough to let them, what can we do about it except laugh at them?

But, hey, it makes them feel like they are "doing something." They get to be self-congratulatory.

aadvark

imported post

Oh well, unless The Alabama Legislature passes a Law regulating these 'Gun Buyback Programs'..., I guess..., as always..., you are right.

As far as the quote goes I picked it up from Quote Ignorance from a Google Search, and ironically, it is from Martin Luther King Jr..

cowboy67

imported post

Shoot, if these people are dumb enough to bring their guns in for $50, Maybe we should stand outside the place and offer $75 for some of the nicer ones, or P.O. the cops by going in with a weapon and at the last minute, say you know what, I just realized, this is the only thing protecting my life. This is stupid.

I will have to see if I still have this old rusty black powder gun that I found. The grip was rotted off. If they wanna give money for guns, that is all they will get from me. LOL

REB

imported post

You know I think I still have a junk gun that came in a trade, I would take a $50 gift card for it any day.