• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer demeanor change...

Aryk45XD

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
My personal opinion is to make it a new thread when you get home. It might be something that get's moved to general boards too. I think it is a great example of why we open carry. And deserves a thread of its own.
right you are. I'll elaborate when I get home.

tacosalad

imported post

I was pulled over last week in Fircrest. When the officer came to the window, I handed him my license, cpl, etc. I was carrying at the time but didn't tell him so (just handed him the cpl).

He handed the cpl back to me and said, "I don't need this". He was very friendly the entire time he was writing me a speeding ticket.

Glock17

imported post

tacosalad wrote:
I was pulled over last week in Fircrest. When the officer came to the window, I handed him my license, cpl, etc. I was carrying at the time but didn't tell him so (just handed him the cpl).

He handed the cpl back to me and said, "I don't need this". He was very friendly the entire time he was writing me a speeding ticket.
Thankyou for your donation today. Drive Safely and have a nice day. :uhoh:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tacosalad wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:
why did you give him your CPL??
license, registration and insurance!
:cuss::banghead::what::uhoh:
It was a low key way of letting him know I was armed. I figured it would be polite.

You may give it to him, you are not required to do so as it has nothing to do with driving an automobile.

You will not be viewed as "one of the good guys".

Tomas

imported post

tacosalad wrote:
Uh oh here we go again.

And for the ensuing debate I am on the side of not informing officers you are armed.
well... I'm not here to debate. I'm here to share and learn.
For no reason other than I also feel it is polite to let the officer know to expect a weapon before he suddenly sees one, I agree with tacosalad on this.

We each make our own choices on how we interact with people and what we are willing or unwilling to do.

For myself, handing over my driver's license and CPL to the officer, before I start rummaging in the glovebox for my other papers, is the simplest, quickest, and safest way to let an officer know I may be better armed than he is. I know I do not need to do it, but it costs me nothing.

(I rarely get stopped, so I thought this trough just to be ready if I was stopped. My last two traffic stops were one in 2010 and one in 1978 or so.)

Even in presenting ID at a bar or whatever when asked for ID, I do not present my driver's license or CPL, but instead my Passport Card which has name, picture, and DOB, but not address. There is no need for a waitress to know my address.

PPC_00.jpg

We all have our own idiosyncrasies when it comes to ID. Those are a couple of mine.

SaintJacque

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
erps wrote:
Yep, but go ahead and solicit stories of these types of contacts anyway.How is thishelpful for the OC movement though.

I never thought you would ask:

This thread is helpful because when we engage officers in a respectful, rational way it creates a positive image of law-abiding citizens who own and carry firearms. Also, when people come onto this page, who are not members, they can read how we engage officers in a respectful way as firearm owners and carriers.
An excellent reply to a smart @$$ post lol.

kwiebe

imported post

If you are asked for your CPL, what are everyone's thoughts on just letting the officer look at it, vs. handing it to the officer?

I believe you are only required to show it. If you let go of it, there's at least a chance you won't get it back. And I never like to do anything the State doesn't actually require me to do. Curious.

Tomas

imported post

kwiebe wrote:
If you are asked for your CPL, what are everyone's thoughts on just letting the officer look at it, vs. handing it to the officer?

I believe you are only required to show it. If you let go of it, there's at least a chance you won't get it back. And I never like to do anything the State doesn't actually require me to do. Curious.
I don't know the legal requirements one way or the other, but I suspect it may be the same as a driver's license - if they ask for you to physically remove it from your wallet and had it to them, that is likely the best thing to do. :p

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kwiebe wrote:

Quoted from my CPL:

"You must have your concealed pistol license in your immediate possession at all times that you are required by law to have a concealed pistol license, and you must display it upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Failure to do so is a class 1 civil infraction, and you will be punished accordingly under RCW 7.80"

Interesting observance, as if I handed it to the officer it would no longer be in my immediate possession. Therefore, if I hold it up and he can see my name and the expiration date, it is displayed.

"Sorry officer, I cannot hand it to you otherwise I am in violation"

Tomas

imported post

RCW 46.20.017Immediate possession and displayed on demand.

*** CHANGE IN 2010 *** (SEE 6239-S.SL) ***

Every licensee shall have his driver's license in his immediate possession at all times when operating a motor vehicle and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. The offense described in this section is a nonmoving offense.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.20.017
________
RCW 46.61.020Refusal to give information to or cooperate with officer — Penalty.
(1) It is unlawful for any person while operating or in charge of any vehicle to refuse when requested by a police officer to give his or her name and address and the name and address of the owner of such vehicle, or for such person to give a false name and address, and it is likewise unlawful for any such person to refuse or neglect to stop when signaled to stop by any police officer or to refuse upon demand of such police officer to produce his or her certificate of license registration of such vehicle, his or her insurance identification card, or his or her vehicle driver's license or to refuse to permit such officer to take any such license, card, or certificate for the purpose of examination thereof or to refuse to permit the examination of any equipment of such vehicle or the weighing of such vehicle or to refuse or neglect to produce the certificate of license registration of such vehicle, insurance card, or his or her vehicle driver's license when requested by any court. Any police officer shall on request produce evidence of his or her authorization as such.

(2) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.020
_______
The wording in the first section above is very similar to the wording for a CPL, requiring a drivere's license to be in possession and displayed on demand.

The second section further allows an officer to take and examine the license...

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomas wrote:
RCW 46.20.017Immediate possession and displayed on demand.

*** CHANGE IN 2010 *** (SEE 6239-S.SL) ***

Every licensee shall have his driver's license in his immediate possession at all times when operating a motor vehicle and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. The offense described in this section is a nonmoving offense.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.20.017
________
RCW 46.61.020Refusal to give information to or cooperate with officer — Penalty.
(1) It is unlawful for any person while operating or in charge of any vehicle to refuse when requested by a police officer to give his or her name and address and the name and address of the owner of such vehicle, or for such person to give a false name and address, and it is likewise unlawful for any such person to refuse or neglect to stop when signaled to stop by any police officer or to refuse upon demand of such police officer to produce his or her certificate of license registration of such vehicle, his or her insurance identification card, or his or her vehicle driver's license or to refuse to permit such officer to take any such license, card, or certificate for the purpose of examination thereof or to refuse to permit the examination of any equipment of such vehicle or the weighing of such vehicle or to refuse or neglect to produce the certificate of license registration of such vehicle, insurance card, or his or her vehicle driver's license when requested by any court. Any police officer shall on request produce evidence of his or her authorization as such.

(2) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.020
_______
The wording in the first section above is very similar to the wording for a CPL, requiring a drivere's license to be in possession and displayed on demand.

The second section further allows an officer to take and examine the license...
Interesting, however there is one big difference. One is a crime and one is not! It is a crime (misdemeanor) to refuse your DL. It is only a civil infraction if you do not have your CPL.

kwiebe

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
kwiebe wrote:

Quoted from my CPL:

"You must have your concealed pistol license in your immediate possession at all times that you are required by law to have a concealed pistol license, and you must display it upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Failure to do so is a class 1 civil infraction, and you will be punished accordingly under RCW 7.80"

Interesting observance, as if I handed it to the officer it would no longer be in my immediate possession. Therefore, if I hold it up and he can see my name and the expiration date, it is displayed.

"Sorry officer, I cannot hand it to you otherwise I am in violation"
You took it a step further---I like it.

This got me thinking what the law says about driver licenses. At first glance, it appears to also only specify "display". But this additional statute requires more, for a driver's license:

RCW 46.61.020

...refuse to permit such officer to take any such license, card, or certificate for the purpose of examination thereof...

There doesn't appear to be any equivalent statute for the CPL.

geojohn

imported post

FWIW, I seem to recall that the speeding ticket I received indicated somewhere on it that I had a CPL. This means that the LEO had a means to check, based on my drivers license. The point is, the officer can discover whether you've been issued a CPL, so there's probably not much point in supplying it if you're not asked to.

Tomas

imported post

geojohn wrote:
FWIW, I seem to recall that the speeding ticket I received indicated somewhere on it that I had a CPL. This means that the LEO had a means to check, based on my drivers license. The point is, the officer can discover whether you've been issued a CPL, so there's probably not much point in supplying it if you're not asked to.
Yes, if I am driving my car and s/he checks the plate, info on the registered owner having a CPL should come back.

Once I hand the LEO my driver's license, and they call it in or enter it on his/her computer, the fact that the holder of the license has a CPL should also come back.

HOWEVER if s/he didn't check the plate or license yet, there is that window where the only way they would know is if I told them or if they discover it by seeing or feeling it.

That window is when I personally feel more comfortable with them knowing before they find out on their own.

If they already know to expect a LEGAL weapon, I feel their reaction might be a lot calmer than if they doesn't expect it, and suddenly spot it.

That just my personal feeling, your mileage may vary...

tom_icon_flap.gif

Last edited:

geojohn

imported post

See I new there was going to be a debate.
Just a friendly conversation.

It doesn't bother me if someone wants to inform an officer that they are armed. But if you think that it is helpful to do so, it is probably more helpful to be more direct than simply presenting your CPL. If you feel the need to inform an officer that you are armed, just say so in a friendly and calm manner.