• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Customer Shoots, Kills Would-Be Armed Robber

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mtncrash1 wrote:
The city of Omaha requires a city open carry permit to carry openly only. They also allow the state CCW permit to carry openly. The person only had an open carry permit so they charged him with a misdemeaner for carrying concealed. He had the gun in his waistband.
Holy crap, that is f-ing retarded.

I just decided to never go to Nebraska based on the simple principle that I don't want to be in a place that is so ridiculously dumb.

Seriously! That's gotta be one of the most outlandishly retarded things I've ever heard. Someone made that law, on purpose! Not by accident! This is deliberate! That's even less forgivable than a negligent discharge. "Making laws while having IQ below 30" should be a crime.

mtncrash1

imported post

Well if you really think you dont want to visit then no big loss to us. You cant tell me that there arent dumb laws all over the place. This state is trying to change the dumb laws that are on the books. These changes started comming around when we passed the CCW laws and so far I think we are comming along(slowly but change takes time).As of this last session in Lincoln the city of Omaha can no longer make a CCW holder register their handguns and there are steps being taken to repeal the entire law.Oh and by the way this is the only city in the state that requires this.So you stay down there in your perfect worl and I will stay right here working to change things and feeling good about those changes. (I cant believe I just defended a state that I dont consider home I am from PA and came here with the USAF)

novasig226r

imported post

mtncrash1 wrote:
Ah the great Omaha gun registration.... In the city you need to register your hangun before you can pick it up from the FFL.They think it keeps illegal guns off the streets.Starting in mid June they can no longer require CCW holders to register their hanguns.The state stepped up and clarified the laws this year.Without ccw you will still be required to register.

So the perp just used a shotgun as his weapon of choice instead... I see the Brady logic. :banghead:

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

buster81 wrote:
http://www.action3news.com/Global/story.asp?S=12401080

Man with Empty Gun, Shot and Killed

Omaha, NE-There are new detailsinthe deadly robbery attempt of the Benson Walgreens. Prosecutors say the would-be robberwas shot at eight times, and hit four times by an armed customer, James McCullough.

The robbery attempt goes down Monday night atWalgreens at 61st and Northwest Radial in Benson justafter 9:00 p.m.18-year-old MarquailThomas, along withAngelo Douglas, goes into the business.Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine says Thomas was carrying an unloaded, short shotgun.

As Marquail aims the gun at customers,McCullough pulls out his own handgun and fires, hitting and killing Marquail.

Marquail is reportedly shotin the chest, lower back, arm and hand. One bullet, even ends up inside Marquail's shotgun. Today, Thomas's mother tries to come to grips with Monday night's events."I can't tell you to be honest why he did what he did, he was hurting, he was hurting," says Kim Thomas.

Thomas says her son was influenced by gangsand she wants no retaliation. As for the man who shot her son, she doesn't agree with him just getting a ticket and doesn't understand why he shot so many times."I've already forgiven him, I've forgiven him. At the end of the day my son is resting, he's peaceful, he's happy. The gentleman who did what he did, he can't sleep at night."

At the scene, amemorial is growing for Marquail. His family tells me he went to church every Sunday. They say it was just recentlyhe started hanging around this new crowd and they actually prepared themselves for his death.His funeral will be next week.

The two other teens charged in the case are both in jail. A judge set bond for 17-year-old Angelo Douglas at one-million dollars. 15-year-old Jauvier is being held on $750,000 bond; despite their ages, both are charged as adults.

1. You shoot to stop the perpetrator. If the perp is still standing or brandishing a shotgun, he's not been stopped.

2. I'd be willing to be he sleeps just fine. If I ever had to take someone's life in self defense, I'd be conflicted for years. It stays with you. But it's not worth loosing sleep over.

3. If they're preparing themselves for Thomas' death, it's clear he was doing some very questionable things.

I feel sorry for the mother's loss, but there's nothing to forgive. A man committed armed robbery, pulling a gun, a shotgun at that, on customers and store employees. What did expect? That someone would try to "talk him down?" If there were only one perp and I had him in my sights I might give an order to freeze, and if he did anything else, or refused a "put the gun down" command, I'd fire. But if there are two armed perps, I'd simply fire on both.

As for the concealed charge, I find that ridiculous, as many open carry holsters fit inside one's waistband. Does that mean we have a lot of folks illegally concealing their firearms out there? Heck no! Whether or not he had a holster, any and all charges against him should be dropped due to the felonious nature of the armed robbery he stopped.

As for the reporter/editor, what retards, slantingeverything towards the criminal, beginning with the severely biased title. How about: Robber Armed With A Shotgun, Shot and Killed.

eye95

imported post

The title of the article does highlight the stupidity of carrying an unloaded gun. Others will treat the gun as loaded, but you can't use it as loaded. We can learn good lessons, even from a bad guy.

Dreamer

imported post

The original article said the deceased perp was using a "short barrel shotgun". I wonder if had his proper NF stamp for that? Will the surviving perp be charged with being in possession of an unregistered NFA firearm?

And the parents of these "lower-case Gs" should be charged with NFA violations, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and child endangerment for the stellar job they did as parents...

James McCullough shouldn't be given a ticket. He should be given a medal.

Oh, and BTW, the NFOA has a place on their website for contributions. We should all send a few bucks to help out a "brother in need". From the reports, it sounds like the police ad the DA are really trying to give him the shaft, and he's going to need some legal help...

http://nebraskafirearms.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=19

simmonsjoe

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
The original article said the deceased perp was using a "short barrel shotgun". I wonder if had his proper NF stamp for that? Will the surviving perp be charged with being in possession of an unregistered NFA firearm?

And the parents of these "lower-case Gs" should be charged with NFA violations, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and child endangerment for the stellar job they did as parents...

James McCullough shouldn't be given a ticket. He should be given a medal.

Oh, and BTW, the NFOA has a place on their website for contributions. We should all send a few bucks to help out a "brother in need". From the reports, it sounds like the police ad the DA are really trying to give him the shaft, and he's going to need some legal help...

http://nebraskafirearms.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=19
In some states they are guilty of murder in the first degree. It doesn't matter if their guns were unloaded. The kids death was a direct cause of them robbing the store. The robbery was planned in advance. That is 1st degree murde in VAr. There was a bill in VA (don't know if it passed) that would have placed these 2 as eligible for the death penalty. As it is they are eligible for life sentences (in VA).

Don't know about Nebraska.

Haz.

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Gotcha. Why do they have to make being a law-abiding citizen so difficult?

Eye95, Mate, its the samein Australia. So as to give murdering, raping, home invading, child molestin, criminal scuma better thaneven chance!

Haz.

zack991

imported post

buster81 wrote:

Man with Empty Gun, Shot and Killed

Omaha, NE-There are new detailsinthe deadly robbery attempt of the Benson Walgreens. Prosecutors say the would-be robberwas shot at eight times, and hit four times by an armed customer, James McCullough.

The robbery attempt goes down Monday night atWalgreens at 61st and Northwest Radial in Benson justafter 9:00 p.m.18-year-old MarquailThomas, along withAngelo Douglas, goes into the business.Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine says Thomas was carrying an unloaded, short shotgun.

As Marquail aims the gun at customers,McCullough pulls out his own handgun and fires, hitting and killing Marquail.

Marquail is reportedly shotin the chest, lower back, arm and hand. One bullet, even ends up inside Marquail's shotgun. Today, Thomas's mother tries to come to grips with Monday night's events."I can't tell you to be honest why he did what he did, he was hurting, he was hurting," says Kim Thomas.

Thomas says her son was influenced by gangsand she wants no retaliation. (1) As for the man who shot her son, she doesn't agree with him just getting a ticket and(2) doesn't understand why he shot so many times."I've already forgiven him, I've forgiven him. At the end of the day my son is resting, he's peaceful, he's happy. (3) The gentleman who did what he did, he can't sleep at night."

(4)At the scene, amemorial is growing for Marquail. His family tells me he went to church every Sunday. They say it was just recentlyhe started hanging around this new crowd and(5) they actually prepared themselves for his death. (6) His funeral will be next week.

The two other teens charged in the case are both in jail. A judge set bond for 17-year-old Angelo Douglas at one-million dollars. 15-year-old Jauvier is being held on $750,000 bond; despite their ages, both are charged as adults.
1. Well mam I do not agree that he even got a ticket to begin with, i think we should give out cash prizes to people who shoot and stop thugs.

2. Well I would have unloaded my magazine on the wannabe thug to complete his fantasy of dieing a thugs life.

3.Well I would not have lost a single second of sleep because I took your worthless sons life, he made his choice and he got his award. I do have problems sleeping knowing that sorry excuse for a mother is trying to turn a hero into the devil because he did not allow your son to rob,rape and murder people.

(4.) Well just because you go to church does not make you magical saint. It just makes you a thug aware of there is a God out there who makes his presence known. It seems God was there helping making that heroes bullets hit true, killing that waste of life. Hope you have a good reason when you go up to heavens gates with 4 bullet holes in your "blank".

(5)It was their smartest thing they did out of this entire mess.

(6) I will call the police of possible illegal drugs and weapons present at thefuneral and fear for my life.

Sorry if i offended anyone, na not really. I feel no pitty for thugs or their family who make excuses for them. I feel terrible for the people who have been, rape, murdered, robbed by scum like him. I am still open for the cash/tax break for those who stop thugs like him.

Haz.

imported post

Hi zack991.

I agree totally with your post. I too am sick and tired of hearing the mothers of raping, murdering, robbing, home invading, scum cry: : My Luigie is a-da-good-a boy, he's a never hurt-a- no body. I'm a go to church. Its a pity these mothersnever taught their spawn how to work for a living like we were taught.

Haz.

frommycolddeadhands

imported post

buster81 wrote:

Today, Thomas's mother tries to come to grips with Monday night's events."I can't tell you to be honest why he did what he did, he was hurting, he was hurting," says Kim Thomas.
Fine, he was hurting. That's not an excuse.Don't expect any sympathy for your son. He died from his own stupid actions.

As for the man who shot her son, she doesn't agree with him just getting a ticket
In most people's opinion, he shouldn't have gotten a ticket at all. He did nothing wrong. His actions were heroic, the shooting was justified. I personally don't care if his gun was concealed or open. It was there when he needed it and he used it judiciously.
and doesn't understand why he shot so many times.
Because the scum bag with the shot gun didn't fall down after the first one. Would she have felt better if he'd simply shot him ONCE in the head?
"I've already forgiven him, I've forgiven him. At the end of the day my son is resting, he's peaceful, he's happy. The gentleman who did what he did, he can't sleep at night."
There is nothing to forgive. I hope the guy sleeps like a baby.
At the scene, amemorial is growing for Marquail. His family tells me he went to church every Sunday.
Oh, well if he went to CHURCH every SUNDAY then that changes EVERYTHING! Gimme a break. Sure, he went, but apparently none of it really sunk in. Maybe he should have consulted the good book before picking up that shotgun and walking into the store. Nimrod...
They say it was just recentlyhe started hanging around this new crowd and they actually prepared themselves for his death.His funeral will be next week.
Oh good, his new friends picked him out a coffin and had already made arrangements.....they seem like such nice boys....
Absolutely. Lock 'em up!

thetruthhurts

imported post

"McCullough bought a new handgun last month, days after Omaha police confiscated the one he used in the shooting.
A month later, the new handgun remains with the authorized dealer because the City of Omaha has denied McCullough's application to register the weapon."
Omaha World Herald

Published Wednesday May 26, 2010

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100526/NEWS97/705269927/0

Old Virginia Joe

So, he was a church goer, was he? Was it by chance a Rev. Jeremiah Wright-type church he attended, with all the hateful rhetoric like we heard during the 2008 campaign? Maybe that would explain his lack of Christian behaviour . . . . .

Russf

xenophon wrote: well
lets see here
they said he was carrying in his waistband
so therefore he did not have an OWB holster(or any holster for that purpose)
So by reading the thread I think the cops would notice he was not open carrying
unless he was holding it in his hand which would be brandishing

common sense will answer most questions

I think simply holding a firearm is not brandishing, he would have to be waving it around in order for it to be that.

XDUser

"McCullough bought a new handgun last month, days after Omaha police confiscated the one he used in the shooting.
A month later, the new handgun remains with the authorized dealer because the City of Omaha has denied McCullough's application to register the weapon."
Omaha World Herald

Published Wednesday May 26, 2010

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100526/NEWS97/705269927/0

That right there just screams lawsuit.
Denial of the fundamental right to self defense just because the individual once was in the wrong place at the wrong time and happened to be armed.

rotty

You need to have permission to buy a gun in Nebraska? That is an intolerable violation of the 2A.

In Minnesota you need a permit to purchase and a permit to carry .. Permit to purchase is by local PD and usually they make sure it takes 30 days to obtain. Sad but true.

edrolee

lesson...... if at all possible own at least 2 handguns

if he had owned 2 or more prior to saving lives he would still have one while waiting for the "evidence" to be returned

Lance0812

Missouri

Ah the great Omaha gun registration.... In the city you need to register your hangun before you can pick it up from the FFL.They think it keeps illegal guns off the streets.Starting in mid June they can no longer require CCW holders to register their hanguns.The state stepped up and clarified the laws this year.Without ccw you will still be required to register.

In Missouri - or at least in St. Louis County - the old procedure was this:
1. Go to a FFL, pick out the gun you want to buy, take down all info including mfr., caliber and serial number.
2. Go to Sheriff's office and apply for a permit to buy. If approved, the gun is now registered in your name.
3. Return to FFL and buy the gun.
4. No idea what hoops you might then have to jump through in order to get a permit to carry.

However, you could circumvent all but Number 4 by going down to the federal building, filling out a short form, paying $1.00 - and walking out with a FFL license which permitted you to buy, sell, trade and transport across state lines.