• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Henderson Police Encounters

greengum

imported post

So yesterday I was in a minor car accident on my way home from work. I was OCing as usual. When the police arrived they noticed I was oc'ing but didn't say anything at first. I filled out the accident report then had a few minutes to talk with them. One officer brought it up and asked if I was security somewhere or if I was part of the OC movement. I said that I was an open carrier. He then told me that he likes it when people open carry. I informed him that a lot of police I have encountered in Kalifornia really hate it. He said he could not understand why someone who took an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States would be against open carry. He also stated that the people in the other car were concerned over my weapon. They told him that I was carrying, he replied with "so".

Bottom line is this is like my 6th experience with either metro or Henderson police and all have been positive. I fukking love this State and most the people here. They even made fun of my Kalifornia drivers license saying I really should dump the communist papers and get a Nevada one! The reason we should keep up our meet ups and walks is to remind others of our Rights. Lets not let what happened in other states to happen here.

Sabotage70

imported post

greengum wrote:
So yesterday I was in a minor car accident on my way home from work. I was OCing as usual. When the police arrived they noticed I was oc'ing but didn't say anything at first. I filled out the accident report then had a few minutes to talk with them. One officer brought it up and asked if I was security somewhere or if I was part of the OC movement. I said that I was an open carrier.  He then told me that he likes it when people open carry. I informed him that a lot of police I have encountered in Kalifornia really hate it. He said he could not understand why someone who took an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States would be against open carry. He also stated that the people in the other car were concerned over my weapon. They told him that I was carrying, he replied with "so".

Bottom line is this is like my 6th experience with either metro or Henderson police and all have been positive. I fukking love this State and most the people here. They even made fun of my Kalifornia drivers license saying I really should dump the communist papers and get a Nevada one! The reason we should keep up our meet ups and walks is to remind others of our Rights. Lets not let what happened in other states to happen here.
Dude, you really need a shirt that says "trouble finds me". I've maybe had 10 encounters with the cops in the cops sense I've lived in Vegas. I avoid them like the plague. Probably because 5 of the 15 I didn't have a DL. :uhoh: For the longest time after I got my DL back I would get stressed out every time a cop would get behind me.

dchoepp

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That's great news about your experience. I wish more were like the LEO you ran into. Your right, if we keep up meetings and so on, this will be the norm.

Around here the police are a little militant. Not saying all are, but most in Douglas County, some in Carson but not so much the attitude.

Superlite27

imported post

Just a suggestion (IMHO)

Why not drop the chief a letter commending how well the responding officers treated you?

My mom always said, "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar".

What a better way to support OC than positive reinforcement?

All too often we are extremely vigilant and pay very close attention for opportunities to "SUE THE BASTARDS!"or "FILE A FORMAL COMPLAINT!" which has a tendency to escalate confrontational attitudes.

Yet, when a great opportunity arrives to make folks appreciate and feel good about treating OC'ers respectfully, we often just let it pass without taking advantage of it.

I wouldn't even go to great lengths. I'm sure a simple line saying, "I encountered several of your officers during a traffic accident while I was legally open carrying a firearm the other day. Your officers reacted by treating me no different than any other law abiding citizen so I'm writing a letter to let you know their professional andcourteous behavior was greatly appreciated."

IMHO, this would do more "for our cause" than any adverse action taken against those who fail at treating us as we should be treated will ever do.

Hendu024

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
Just a suggestion (IMHO)

Why not drop the chief a letter commending how well the responding officers treated you?

My mom always said, "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar".

What a better way to support OC than positive reinforcement?

All too often we are extremely vigilant and pay very close attention for opportunities to "SUE THE BASTARDS!"or "FILE A FORMAL COMPLAINT!" which has a tendency to escalate confrontational attitudes.

Yet, when a great opportunity arrives to make folks appreciate and feel good about treating OC'ers respectfully, we often just let it pass without taking advantage of it.

I wouldn't even go to great lengths. I'm sure a simple line saying, "I encountered several of your officers during a traffic accident while I was legally open carrying a firearm the other day. Your officers reacted by treating me no different than any other law abiding citizen so I'm writing a letter to let you know their professional andcourteous behavior was greatly appreciated."

IMHO, this would do more "for our cause" than any adverse action taken against those who fail at treating us as we should be treated will ever do.
+1. Always a really good idea.

greengum

imported post

I will do that once I get back to Nevada and out of the people republic of chekaslfornia. Seriously unloaded lo locked in a container?? WTF!!

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Kommifornia license is what stopped them, NV can't afford a LA boycot,
they need all the IOU's they can get from the coast. Now if you can just
get the tourist to walk halfway over the dam so AZ can arrest them.:cool:

Now that would be an audio recording....
"HE HAS A GUN!", so, "But i wet myself"

Send a nice letter, and quit running down the locals, you don't want to loose
him you want him fast tracked to the top of the food chain.:shock:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
Just a suggestion (IMHO)

Unfortunately, because this can backfire horribly.

I once complimented, in writing, and employee of a store for helping me with an item I bought that was not as described on the packaging. It was only half there when I opened the box.

It would have been easier to accuse me of theft of the missing parts and refuse to return the item.

I wrote the letter, and the employee got fired.

If the Officer's boss hates OCers.... It could go badly for him.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

You don't need to mention the OC part, just a letter praising his
professionalism, and help at the accident. You and the officer know the truth
he was 100% obeying the law, the anti up the food chain doesn't need the
particulars about how he was being professional by recognizing and respecting
your rights. Just that you wish to commend him for doing a 'Bang' up job.:lol:

If pressed you can mention how he helped you with a very hostile driver
who hit you.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:

who hit you.
I concur.

Say something like "On _______, I was involved in an accident to which Officers _________ and ________ [however many] responded. I would like a notice put in each of their personnel files that they impressed me with their professional demeanor, their pleasant attitudes as they dealt with an unpleasant situation, and the way they made me feel proud that such people choose to be Nevada peace officers.

"In light of the poor attitudes sometimes displayed by officers in other areas, and the war-weary attitudes seen so often by law enforcement generally, I would like them to know that I recognized and appreciated the contrast which they showed. They gave me reason to respect your department."

See? So generic that you can't get anyone in trouble, while at the same time giving them and their superiors the attaboy. The officers will know who you are and what you are really saying.

VegasGlocKid

imported post

DVC wrote:
SlackwareRobert wrote:

who hit you.
I concur.

Say something like "On _______, I was involved in an accident to which Officers _________ and ________ [however many] responded. I would like a notice put in each of their personnel files that they impressed me with their professional demeanor, their pleasant attitudes as they dealt with an unpleasant situation, and the way they made me feel proud that such people choose to be Nevada peace officers.

"In light of the poor attitudes sometimes displayed by officers in other areas, and the war-weary attitudes seen so often by law enforcement generally, I would like them to know that I recognized and appreciated the contrast which they showed. They gave me reason to respect your department."

See? So generic that you can't get anyone in trouble, while at the same time giving them and their superiors the attaboy. The officers will know who you are and what you are really saying.
which works wonders for next time he pulls you over for speeding.