• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Something Just Occurred To Me, Imagine This!

neuroblades

imported post

Something just occurred to me.

Is it legal to OC in places were you vote?

If so, imagine this happening!

The Kentuckians that are true 2A advocates, getting together as a group, voicing their distaste for the things that are wrong within our Commonwealth and being visible but peaceful law-abiding citizens.

OK, then imagine come election day in Kentucky, the media outlets will of course be reporting live from some venues where voting will be taking place and then we have those Pro 2A Kentucky citizens who have been speaking out against the wrong's, come out to vote while OC'ing!

Imagine the resounding message that this would send to the rest of therest of the nation!

WE are AMERICANS and while WE shall continue to be LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS, WE will STAND STRONG! WE will NOT allow OUR government to be highjacked by those that wish to weaken this GREAT NATION, to disarm her LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS, to subjugate AMERICANS to anything less than what OUR Founding Fathers had intended for US!

AMEN & GOD BLESS US ONE & ALL!!!

langzaiguy

imported post

My precinct is at the Old Courthouse in Scott Co and I plan on OCing when I vote. I think those whose precincts are in schools are just SOL.

neuroblades

imported post

Well, in places where the voting booths are in taboo areas, I can understand NOT doing it. It's not like we're looking to break the law or cause a problem, just show the world that we are no long a "silent minority", we are Americans and we will hold to our Rights. Like what happened a few weeks back in Frankfort with the 2A Rally.

v8shoguy

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
I think those whose precincts are in schools are just SOL.

You mean that the board of elections who places polls in schools doesn't want armed individuals to vote... right? :)

Anyone who lives in an area like this want to see if you can get an absentee ballot using this as the justification? I would try if my location was in a school.

neuroblades

imported post

This brings about 2 questions, one of them I have been pndering for about a month. If school is NOT in session (out for the summer, election day, after school hours when there are not schedule school activities, etc) does the "No FIREARMS in School Zone"still apply?

Additionally, if there is a restaurant next door to a school, we can't open carry or concealed carry in that restaurant, is this correct?

neuroblades

imported post

mellio wrote:
Why would you not be able to carry in a resaurant if it were next to a school?
Well, I initially posted this due to the "1000 foot School/Gun" law. According to what I've gathered, unless you hold a valid CCDW, you can not OC within 1000 feet of the school and this fast food restaurant is directly next door to a high school.

neuroblades

imported post

That's a tricky one I'd guess, maybe one of the guys that's following that close might be able to chime in and tell ya. LOL

mellio

imported post

gutshot wrote:
neuroblades wrote:
mellio wrote:
Why would you not be able to carry in a resaurant if it were next to a school?
Well, I initially posted this due to the "1000 foot School/Gun" law. According to what I've gathered, unless you hold a valid CCDW, you can not OC within 1000 feet of the school and this fast food restaurant is directly next door to a high school.
The 1000 ft. federal law does not apply on private property.
Does anyone have a link to the law on this ? I'd like to read it.

langzaiguy

imported post

From wikipedia:
In general
In general, the GFSZ Act of 1990 added two paragraphs in a new subsection (q) to Section 922 of Title 18 of the U.S. Code:
(1) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
Exception: This does not include possession of a firearm on private property that is not part of school grounds or possession of a loaded firearm by an individual who is licensed to do so by the State. (i.e. a concealed carry, weapon, or firearm permit).
(2) It shall be unlawful for any person, knowingly or with reckless disregard for the safety of another, to discharge or attempt to discharge a firearm.
[edit]Definitions
Definitions were amended to Section 921(a) of the title:
The term school zone means in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
The term school means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.
[edit]Penalty
A new paragraph was added to Section 924(a) establishing the penalty:
Whoever violates the Act shall be fined not more than $5,000, imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the term of imprisonment imposed under this paragraph shall not run concurrently with any other term of imprisonment imposed under any other provision of law.

mellio

imported post

Thanks for posting the text of the law. I think as long as your on private property your good. It is written weird though .

neuroblades

imported post

OK, so let me get this straight, hypothetically. If Ihave a CCDW and Igo to the school to pick up my child or to go to their game or even if I dont't have a child in the school and I go to a Friday night game of football and I've carrying concealed, then I'm legal? Is this correct?

langzaiguy

imported post

If you pick up your kid or park or anything like that, you're fine. I believe that schools must post at their ball fields in which case you can't carry on those premises. At least, that's the way I understand it.

mellio

imported post

neuroblades wrote:
OK, so let me get this straight, hypothetically. If Ihave a CCDW and Igo to the school to pick up my child or to go to their game or even if I dont't have a child in the school and I go to a Friday night game of football and I've carrying concealed, then I'm legal? Is this correct?
Maybe federally, MAYBE.......but......KRS is a definite NO NO. IMHO IANAL.
[align=left]

527.070 Unlawful possession of a weapon on school property -- Posting of sign -- Exemptions. [/align][font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"][font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]
(1) A person is guilty of unlawful possession of a weapon on school property when he knowingly deposits, possesses, or carries, whether openly or concealed, for purposes other than instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, or the purposes permitted in subsection (3) of this section, any firearm or other deadly weapon, destructive device, or booby trap device in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field, or any other property owned, used, or operated by any board of education, school, board of trustees, regents, or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. The provisions of this section shall not apply to institutions of postsecondary or higher education.

(2) Each chief administrator of a public or private school shall display about the school in prominent locations, including, but not limited to, sports arenas, gymnasiums, stadiums, and cafeterias, a sign at least six (6) inches high and fourteen (14) inches wide stating:

UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON SCHOOL

PROPERTY IN KENTUCKY IS A FELONY PUNISHABLE

BY A MAXIMUM OF FIVE (5) YEARS IN PRISON AND A

TEN THOUSAND DOLLAR ($10,000) FINE.

Failure to post the sign shall not relieve any person of liability under this section.

(3) The provisions of this section prohibiting the unlawful possession of a weapon on school property shall not apply to:

(a) An adult who possesses a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a vehicle operated by the adult and is not removed from the vehicle, except for a purpose permitted herein, or brandished by the adult, or by any other person acting with expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property;

(b) Any pupils who are members of the reserve officers training corps or pupils enrolled in a course of instruction or members of a school club or team, to the extent they are required to carry arms or weapons in the discharge of their official class or team duties;

(c) Any peace officer or police officer authorized to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to KRS 527.020;

(d) Persons employed by the Armed Forces of the United States or members of the National Guard or militia when required in the discharge of their official duties to carry arms or weapons;

(e) Civil officers of the United States in the discharge of their official duties. Nothing in
[/font]
[/font]

neuroblades

imported post

See! This is why this issue is such a pain in the rear!!!! One says one thing (federal), one says another (state). Just unify the stinking law!!!! LOL

langzaiguy

imported post

Like I said, you can still keep it in your vehicle.

(a) An adult who possesses a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a vehicle operated by the adult and is not removed from the vehicle, except for a purpose permitted herein, or brandished by the adult, or by any other person acting with expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property;