• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in police station?

gis

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
gis wrote:
Going into the cell blockof the county jail in Detroit is scarier than anything I have seen on the street.
This would just be the precinct holding cell in Virginia Beach. The drunk tank. You're comparing apples to oranges, my friend.:D

The city jail is controlled by the Sheriff's office. precinct holding cells are at the police stations and under the control of the city of Virginia Beach police.

To be sure, everyone who had on a blue shirt and a badge also had a gun.
Depends on the department, I guess. I've been to places that made me disarm before entering the holding area and places that didn't.

NovaCop

imported post

user wrote:
I reckon you get used to it. Though I still hate the smell of disinfectant. I've spent a lot of time in such places (interviewing prisoners prior to bond reduction hearings).
Haha, that disinfectant smell. I worked short time at a maximum security prison before getting my job as a police officer, and I will never forget that smell.

Back to the topic on hand, since there is need for a secure police department (weapons inside, confidential information, my paycheck, etc), I don't see how it would be unlawful to restrict anyone from coming inside. Citizens (armed or unarmed) aren't allowed to just walk into the building at any given time, is that unlawful? It would be absurd to think that you could just walk into a police station and go walking around the administrative building unsupervised. I believe we lease our substations from private companies, so therefore, I believe it is private property on top of it (although I don't think it would matter).

The no guns sign on the doors is for the interview rooms which are not located at the jail facility.

gis

imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
user wrote:
I reckon you get used to it. Though I still hate the smell of disinfectant. I've spent a lot of time in such places (interviewing prisoners prior to bond reduction hearings).
Haha, that disinfectant smell. I worked short time at a maximum security prison before getting my job as a police officer, and I will never forget that smell.

Back to the topic on hand, since there is need for a secure police department (weapons inside, confidential information, my paycheck, etc), I don't see how it would be unlawful to restrict anyone from coming inside. Citizens (armed or unarmed) aren't allowed to just walk into the building at any given time, is that unlawful? It would be absurd to think that you could just walk into a police station and go walking around the administrative building unsupervised. I believe we lease our substations from private companies, so therefore, I believe it is private property on top of it (although I don't think it would matter).

The no guns sign on the doors is for the interview rooms which are not located at the jail facility.

I would think that nobody here would disagree that restricting acces to many parts of a police station is necessary. However, if an officer chooses to admit a non-employee to such a restricted area who is there voluntarily, I would contend that whether the visitor is legally armed or not should not matter. While not a legal scholar, I feel that this would be consistent with Virginia law. The only exception I can see is when a suspect voluntarily comes in for an interview. I used to ask them (suspects, not witnesses) whether I could pat them down for my safety and never had a refusal. I did catch an outsider in a restricted area once who wondered in through the the open fire bay in search of a bathroom.

No guns signs on the doors of interview rooms make no sense to me. This is clearly not for officer protection in this day and age of overengineered retention holsters. I suspect that some overpaid city/county counsel came up with it as a liability reduction and political correctness measure. Heck, every 6 month or so we would all pick a day and bring in the guns we wanted to sell or trade and set them up in an interview room. Over the course of the day, cops, dispatchers, fire fighters, and other employees would come over and browse. :)

NovaCop

imported post

gis wrote:
NovaCop10 wrote:
user wrote:

I would think that nobody here would disagree that restricting acces to many parts of a police station is necessary. However, if an officer chooses to admit a non-employee to such a restricted area who is there voluntarily, I would contend that whether the visitor is legally armed or not should not matter. While not a legal scholar, I feel that this would be consistent with Virginia law. The only exception I can see is when a suspect voluntarily comes in for an interview. I used to ask them (suspects, not witnesses) whether I could pat them down for my safety and never had a refusal. I did catch an outsider in a restricted area once who wondered in through the the open fire bay in search of a bathroom.

No guns signs on the doors of interview rooms make no sense to me. This is clearly not for officer protection in this day and age of overengineered retention holsters. I suspect that some overpaid city/county counsel came up with it as a liability reduction and political correctness measure. Heck, every 6 month or so we would all pick a day and bring in the guns we wanted to sell or trade and set them up in an interview room. Over the course of the day, cops, dispatchers, fire fighters, and other employees would come over and browse. :)
Yeah I have brought people in many times to be questioned, whether they be witnesses or suspects. I usually ask for a quick consent pat down prior to letting them into my car and have yet to be turned down. I could see why you wouldn't want to allow a legally carried gun into an interview room if you have a suspect inside though. Interesting situation... you want a consensual encounter however they refuse to disarm when they come to meet for an interview. Obviously if they are a solid suspect and you force them into the room you can take their weapons (Terry).

gis

imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
I could see why you wouldn't want to allow a legally carried gun into an interview room if you have a suspect inside though. Interesting situation... you want a consensual encounter however they refuse to disarm when they come to meet for an interview. Obviously if they are a solid suspect and you force them into the room you can take their weapons (Terry).
Are your no guns signs intended for cops or visitors? Anyone under arrest or a suspect would be disarmed. As far as witnesses go, at my shopit was don't ask don't tell, but I sure would want to have my weapon if there is a chance they have theirs. We did not give rides, except to "customers" under arrest.

NovaCop

imported post

gis wrote:
NovaCop10 wrote:
I could see why you wouldn't want to allow a legally carried gun into an interview room if you have a suspect inside though. Interesting situation... you want a consensual encounter however they refuse to disarm when they come to meet for an interview. Obviously if they are a solid suspect and you force them into the room you can take their weapons (Terry).
Are your no guns signs intended for cops or visitors? Anyone under arrest or a suspect would be disarmed. As far as witnesses go, at my shopit was don't ask don't tell, but I sure would want to have my weapon if there is a chance they have theirs. We did not give rides, except to "customers" under arrest.
See the sign just states "no guns inside", however, it's my opinion that applies to everyone, police as well. That sign is on the interview room doors at the substations, but at the main station, there are metal detectors not allowing anyone with a weapon inside. I believe after the Esteban Carpio incident, some departments feel it would be safer to keep guns out of the interview room. I have yet to see an officer or detective disarm before using the room.

Esteban Carpio- http://media.fedstv.com.s3.amazonaws.com/f04a2b37d4104655bde1cdde89b2661c.jpg

All American Nightmare

imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
xdm guy wrote:
NovaCop10
Honestly, I don't know about the legality/rules of carrying a gun into the police station.

Its legal

I have seen signs on other department's stations.

Are they aware that there signs are unenforceable ?

What departments have those signs posted ?

The substations are locked and not accessible to the public

So because they are locked those buildings are no longer considered public ?

the main station also houses the jail.

So once inside the station your in the jail ?

There are metal detectors at the main facility prohibiting any sort of weapon carried inside by citizens.

Has this ever been challenged ?

However, there are interview rooms at the substations (where there are no detectors) and there are signs posted on the outside of the interview doors stating "no firearms inside"

How can they enforce those posted signs and still be within the law?

I have not read anything in my police procedures about this topic. I know after the Fairfax County shooting at their station in 2006, departments were pushing for stations to be gun free, but I never heard anything after. xdm guy wrote:
NovaCop10
Honestly, I don't know about the legality/rules of carrying a gun into the police station.

Its legal

There are metal detectors at the main facility prohibiting any sort of weapon carried inside by citizens.

However, there are interview rooms at the substations (where there are no detectors) and there are signs posted on the outside of the interview doors stating "no firearms inside"

I have not read anything in my police procedures about this topic. I know after the Fairfax County shooting at their station in 2006, departments were pushing for stations to be gun free, but I never heard anything after. http://www.bloggernews.net/12382 . I'll try to do more digging.

Not trying to start a argument. Just some of the info posted doesn't sound right to me.
I don't recall anyone challenging the policy but then again I don't work security at the doors. Everything I posted is accurate of how it is at those buildings. The main station is more like a compound, with administrative offices and a jail inside of the barbed wire. The detectors are at the entrance of the fence and everyone is required to pass through. If a citizen wants to come in to report something in person, they must go to the main station and thus pass through the detectors (although we are willing to meet a citizen anywhere in our jurisdiction of course). Many times citizens will come in to turn in guns or ammo that they no longer want, and are requested to stay in the lobby area before the detectors. You would be surprised what nice firearms and amount of ammo people give up which ends up being destroyed. Since the inside of the substations are secured areas, I doubt anyone carrying would be allowed inside, although not against the law.

Please answer the questions and back up your claims.

NovaCop

imported post

xdm guy wrote:
NovaCop10 wrote:
xdm guy wrote:
NovaCop10

Its legal

I have not read anything in my police procedures about this topic. I know after the Fairfax County shooting at their station in 2006, departments were pushing for stations to be gun free, but I never heard anything after. xdm guy wrote:
NovaCop10

Its legal

I have not read anything in my police procedures about this topic. I know after the Fairfax County shooting at their station in 2006, departments were pushing for stations to be gun free, but I never heard anything after. http://www.bloggernews.net/12382 . I'll try to do more digging.

Not trying to start a argument. Just some of the info posted doesn't sound right to me.
I don't recall anyone challenging the policy but then again I don't work security at the doors. Everything I posted is accurate of how it is at those buildings. The main station is more like a compound, with administrative offices and a jail inside of the barbed wire. The detectors are at the entrance of the fence and everyone is required to pass through. If a citizen wants to come in to report something in person, they must go to the main station and thus pass through the detectors (although we are willing to meet a citizen anywhere in our jurisdiction of course). Many times citizens will come in to turn in guns or ammo that they no longer want, and are requested to stay in the lobby area before the detectors. You would be surprised what nice firearms and amount of ammo people give up which ends up being destroyed. Since the inside of the substations are secured areas, I doubt anyone carrying would be allowed inside, although not against the law.

Please answer what questions? I thought my response did answer the questions, besides the question about what department I work for (I continue to refrain for obvious reasons). Besides that, I am only portraying what is going on and how things work. I do not need any cites because I made no reference to legal codes, just stating my opinion on the matter. I even said in my first post that I am unaware of the legality surrounding the situation.

What questions or claims would you like me to assist you with?

All American Nightmare

imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
xdm guy wrote:
NovaCop10 wrote:
xdm guy wrote:
NovaCop10

Its legal

NovaCop10

Its legal

Please answer what questions? I thought my response did answer the questions, besides the question about what department I work for (I continue to refrain for obvious reasons). Besides that, I am only portraying what is going on and how things work. I do not need any cites because I made no reference to legal codes, just stating my opinion on the matter. I even said in my first post that I am unaware of the legality surrounding the situation.

What questions or claims would you like me to assist you with?

I have remained nameless as well for the same reasons you have.

I am only portraying what is going on and how things work.

From what It sounds your department is not respecting the law or citizens rights. I might be wrong. We don't know what department you work for and that's fine. Perhaps you should check into the questions im asking and get black and white answers. You use the word citizen like you are a class above us.We are all citizens you included. I was forced to learn the laws because LEOS did not respect my rights as a citizen. I once had a cop tell me I could not carry a gun and told me he could arrest me,my response was lock me up then officer. Instead of asking how I was doing or good morning and then be came upset when I told him that and sped off. If your looking for approval then if your department is not respecting our rights then change from within is a good start. We have no way of knowing if changes actually happen if not up to par. Hopefully you have enough honor not to lie about it.

wylde007

imported post

xdm guy wrote:
From what It sounds your department is not respecting the law or citizens rights.
From what it sounds by the rest of the nonsense he's posted regarding RAS and Terry stops, I'm not the least surprised "his" department is upside down and inside out.

NovaCop

imported post

XDM,
Checked into it- our substations are privately leased, therefore it's not public property, so the department can make the rules regarding what comes in/out. The main station is combined with a jail that not only houses inmates, but allows them to work throughout the compound, thus the need to prohibit weapons.

The term "citizen" is a derogatory term? That's news to me. I always thought of it being somewhat respectful. I don't think I am better than anyone. I don't understand how you get that perception just because I disagree with some viewpoints.

I once had a cop that......blah blah...was mean to me... blah...wahh wahh. Not all cops are the same, not all Oc'ers are the same. Don't allow one or two bad experiences mold your opinion on everyone. Geez, if I did that, I would hate EVERYONE.

Wylde, what nonsense did I post on RAS or Terry? Please post what statements I made that were inaccurate and provide cites to prove my statements wrong. Please do. Show me that you can contribute somewhat to this forum, and don't try to a rebuttal with just calling me names again...that shows a lack of intelligence.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
XDM,
Checked into it- our substations are privately leased, therefore it's not public property, so the department can make the rules regarding what comes in/out. The main station is combined with a jail that not only houses inmates, but allows them to work throughout the compound, thus the need to prohibit weapons.
No cigar. BS. Flag!

Whether municipally owned or leased, all such property it is public property - state law prevails. Yes there are provisions for jails and secure areas but not carte blanch restrictions and most certainly not at your departments whims.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

Yata hey

wylde007

imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
Show me that you can contribute somewhat to this forum, and don't try to a rebuttal with just calling me names again...that shows a lack of intelligence.
Your lack of common understanding of the very laws you claim to be sworn to uphold shows a lack of intellect. Show me that you can contribute somewhat to this forum. I've been here for a couple of years. You just got here. I'd say you're not very well on your way to making many friends because you have the attitude of an "officer" who thinks the laws don't apply to him. I don't need to make cites to formulate an opinion that you talk out of both sides of your mouth.

Fortunately the other members of this board also are not so easily swayed by your questionable resources and frequently only peripherally-pertinent cites. And, we are quite well-prepared to defend our position against the likes of you.

Thank you, GS. Another LAW that NovaCop9½ didn't quite take into consideration.

tkd2006

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
NovaCop10 wrote:
Show me that you can contribute somewhat to this forum, and don't try to a rebuttal with just calling me names again...that shows a lack of intelligence.
Your lack of common understanding of the very laws you claim to be sworn to uphold shows a lack of intellect. Show me that you can contribute somewhat to this forum. I've been here for a couple of years. You just got here. I'd say you're not very well on your way to making many friends because you have the attitude of an "officer" who thinks the laws don't apply to him. I don't need to make cites to formulate an opinion that you talk out of both sides of your mouth.

Fortunately the other members of this board also are not so easily swayed by your questionable resources and frequently only peripherally-pertinent cites. And, we are quite well-prepared to defend our position against the likes of you.

Thank you, GS. Another LAW that NovaCop9½ didn't quite take into consideration.

Wylde i see you make the comment you have been here for years and hes new, i have been reading these boards for 3 years now and only registered about a few months ago but IMO you seem to go out of your way to bash Novacop10. The attitude you claim he has as an officer who thinks laws dont apply to him where do you come up with that. Do you think every Trooper/officer knows all the laws of Virginia and each county. My father woked with VSP for 43 years and never claimed to know all the laws only the ones he was faced with on a daily basis. Some people are considered a jack of all trades and king of none. Look at the laws regarding open carry and concealed carry you know what they are because they affect you and what you want to do. As a police officer he has many different codes and laws that he faces on a daily basis and open carry is probally low on the list but as far as you are concerned it should be number one. Have you even considered maybe hes here to learn more about open carry/concealed carry in a manner thats conducive to his work.

The final comment about defending against the like of you seem real confrontational to me. Its like an Us vs Them. Have the police done something to you in the past that makes you resent them so much. In the past 3 years you have lumped all police officers into a basket full of crap. If this is based on a few bad apples then you can understand why the police act they way they do when confronted by someone with a weapon. Heck maybe with all the legal talk that i see here people can help others learn more about the laws and they can pass it on and some here can see inside the otherside and understand why some things happen to them.

This is just my 2cents that and 3 dollas might get you a drink at Starbucks.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The problem as I see it is that NovaCop10 has frequently (always?) made statements alleging them to be fact, has seldom (never?) provided cites for same and has said in so many words "Take my word for it."

Sorry, ladies and gentlemen, it doesn't work that way. I have not seen anyone attack NovaCop10 on the basis of his being a LEO. What is pointed out is that if he is going to take a position on OC/CC/RKBA he as a LEO needs to be correct - not push unsubstantiated personal opinions.

Suspect that some here are growing quite weary of hearing the same old scratchy record.

Yata hey

simmonsjoe

imported post

The key is public access area. If it is an area that the general public is not allowed, then it is not public access. I think this might give the LEO the opinion he has discretion as he has to escort you in those areas. I'm not sure if it does. If he lets you in, I think legally he lets your gun in too.(unless it is the 'jail' section)

gis

imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
The key is public access area. If it is an area that the general public is not allowed, then it is not public access. I think this might give the LEO the opinion he has discretion as he has to escort you in those areas. I'm not sure if it does. If he lets you in, I think legally he lets your gun in too.(unless it is the 'jail' section)
I would generally agree with your statement. If you are there for a police station tour with your kid's 3rd grade class, I do not believe that anyone has a right to disarm you. However, if you are a suspect in a crime and you voluntarily came in to talk to me because I asked you to, I feel justified patting you down and disarming you for my safety.

NovaCop

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
The problem as I see it is that NovaCop10 has frequently (always?) made statements alleging them to be fact, has seldom (never?) provided cites for same and has said in so many words "Take my word for it."

Sorry, ladies and gentlemen, it doesn't work that way. I have not seen anyone attack NovaCop10 on the basis of his being a LEO. What is pointed out is that if he is going to take a position on OC/CC/RKBA he as a LEO needs to be correct - not push unsubstantiated personal opinions.

Suspect that some here are growing quite weary of hearing the same old scratchy record.

Yata hey
I am not sure how my statements were taken as fact during this discussion regarding carrying into stations? The very first sentence of my very first post stated that I am not sure about the legality of the situation (you should've checked what I said before). All my posts since have only portrayed what I have seen posted/not posted at my own department. I asked around and posted the answers to a few questions, which someone asked me to do. If I do state something I believe is fact, I will support my answer with case law or code. I have yet to see any rebuttal with the same criteria. Just because I am a LEO, doesn't mean I can't portray my own opinion on this site. I am not enforcing any laws on this site and don't see the need to be unbiased. That's a good thing about the 1A, right?

I don't know who you are referring to about the same old scratchy record? Do I repeat myself?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:
I am not sure how my statements were taken as fact during this discussion regarding carrying into stations? The very first sentence of my very first post stated that I am not sure about the legality of the situation (you should've checked what I said before). All my posts since have only portrayed what I have seen posted/not posted at my own department. I asked around and posted the answers to a few questions, which someone asked me to do. If I do state something I believe is fact, I will support my answer with case law or code. I have yet to see any rebuttal with the same criteria. Just because I am a LEO, doesn't mean I can't portray my own opinion on this site.

When verbs are used that are defined as "state of being," the condition described is given as fact and not as opinion. That is why most of us utilize the "IMO" or otherwise disclaim finite knowledge when we are passing on hearsay.

You stated "therefore it's (is) not public property." You, not the reader, made this a statement of fact.

[/u]Therefore, please supply cite where leased municipal property is not subject to public access on the basis of its being leased to a municipal department/agency.

Yata hey
[/u]

All American Nightmare

imported post

NovaCop10 wrote:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

You should know these laws. I was hoping you were going to post these yourself. That is the law on were us common folk can carry. You should read it sometime.

The term "citizen" is a derogatory term? That's news to me. I always thought of it being somewhat respectful. I don't think I am better than anyone. I don't understand how you get that perception just because I disagree with some viewpoints.

You forget that you to are a citizen.
I once had a cop that......blah blah...was mean to me... blah...wahh wahh. Not all cops are the same, not all Oc'ers are the same. Don't allow one or two bad experiences mold your opinion on everyone. Geez, if I did that, I would hate EVERYONE.

What I posted was an example of the way I have been treated by your fellow LEOS. So don't give me that blah blah wahh wahhbullshitHow many time has arrest been threatened on forexercising your rights.If the answer is none shut you mouth and go eat a doughnut pig. Its been more than a couple time its been almost every time. I show LEOS the utmost respect until they pull some bullshit with me. If LEOS treated as you call us" citizens" the way they would like to be treated there would be a lot less problems.

I asked around and posted the answers to a few questions, which someone asked me to do. If I do state something I believe is fact, I will support my answer with case law or code.

So you post something that you don't know if its true ?