Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Open Carry in the Woods

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Unger, WV, ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    The WV DNR Hunting Regulations state:


    "It is illegal to carry an uncased or loaded firearm in the woods, except

    during open firearms hunting seasons."

    We have a continuous open firearms season for coyotes during the day and more than half the year at night. Doesn't that mean that you can carry a loaded uncased firearm in the woods year round during the day?





  2. #2
    Regular Member Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    926

    Post imported post

    "in the woods" seems like too far broad of a term.

    What the hell would they consider "woods" 2 or more trees?

    Why would you be allowed to OC in an urban area, but not up in the mountains?

    Can you post a link to the site where you read this?

    Thanks.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Unger, WV, ,
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/Regs0910/General_regs.pdf

    It's the 4th item on the 1st page.

    I agree that it's a very ambiguously worded law. The state is something like 70-80% forested, so why even allow open carry if you can only do it in 20% of the state. I guess you do need a gun a lot more in Huntington, Martinsburg, or Charleston than in the woods.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    926

    Post imported post

    mountaineer79 wrote:
    http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/Regs0910/General_regs.pdf

    It's the 4th item on the 1st page.

    I agree that it's a very ambiguously worded law. The state is something like 70-80% forested, so why even allow open carry if you can only do it in 20% of the state. I guess you do need a gun a lot more in Huntington, Martinsburg, or Charleston than in the woods.
    Your 100% correct, It does indeed say that.

    Im dumbfounded. I cant imagine what legal basis they have for such a "regulation".

    Hopefully the WVCDL gets on this.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

  5. #5
    Regular Member Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    926

    Post imported post

    Anyone have any more info abotu this issue?

    I am going camping in the mountains of WV in a few weeks, and Im NOT going unless OC is legal in the woods.

    Not being able to OC "in the woods" is F'ing ridiculous and Im appalled that WV has such a stupid rule.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

  6. #6
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358

    Post imported post

    This statute is part of WVs incredibly convoluted and nonsensical Hunting Laws, and has nothing to do whatsoever with safety, protection of natural resources or logic.

    WVCDL has been working to get this wording changed for years, but the WV DNR, State Police, and anti groups always seem to succeed in getting their proposed bills stalled in committee...

    But they're still working on it...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  7. #7
    Regular Member Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    926

    Post imported post

    Dreamer wrote:
    This statute is part of WVs incredibly convoluted and nonsensical Hunting Laws, and has nothing to do whatsoever with safety, protection of natural resources or logic.

    WVCDL has been working to get this wording changed for years, but the WV DNR, State Police, and anti groups always seem to succeed in getting their proposed bills stalled in committee...

    But they're still working on it...
    Thanks. I have a lot of faith in the WVCDL, they do good work.
    Hopefully that rule will get the axe soon.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    ripley wv
    Posts
    144
    If you look up our game laws on line you will see that most of our year round hunting must be done in a field during closed season of other game, kinda of catch 22, if you carry in the woods during closed season on certain game you must CC, or they will hit you with hunting out of season.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by eamelhorn View Post
    If you look up our game laws on line you will see that most of our year round hunting must be done in a field during closed season of other game, kinda of catch 22, if you carry in the woods during closed season on certain game you must CC, or they will hit you with hunting out of season.
    Thats ridiculous.
    All of WV OC laws need to be clarified. It seems like too much of a hassle to even OC in WV anymore. WTF is happening to that state?
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    ripley wv
    Posts
    144
    i agree the laws need to be clarified, open carry in the field i.e outdoor world, hunting fishing hikeing ect here in WV is a gray area, you must be up on OC CC and GAME laws to carry in our state, CC is the safest way during closed hunting seasons to stay on the good side of the WILDLIFE POLICE as they are now known here.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    ripley wv
    Posts
    144
    Just a note a wildlife police said in a local sporting goods store that he can arrest ANY OC at almost anytime in our state. But luckly regular LEO's cannot write game violations.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by eamelhorn View Post
    Just a note a wildlife police said in a local sporting goods store that he can arrest ANY OC at almost anytime in our state. But luckly regular LEO's cannot write game violations.
    That LEO is a moron.
    I hope you corrected him that he is NOT allowed to arrest a person for OC almost anywhere in the state.

    Here in PA, every year ALL LEO's get an update on different laws and other things. And every year it is stated that OC is legal and it also clarifies all other gun carry laws.
    Why cant WV do that?
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    ripley wv
    Posts
    144
    My son just bought a new 1911 45 today, he got hic CC Saturday, when he was at the sporting goods store they were talking OC and CC there are 2 LEO's who work there, he came home and told me about the conversation. They also told once he goes CC he gives up his right to OC, I went off. I said come here now sit down and pulled up this site and gave him an education. I had been telling him we can OC, the ex- LEO's got him as we say in WV skeert!!!,Were goingup there tomarrow OC, they dont have sign's, my son has bought 4 guns there since Oct

  14. #14
    Regular Member Sig229's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    926
    Quote Originally Posted by eamelhorn View Post
    My son just bought a new 1911 45 today, he got hic CC Saturday, when he was at the sporting goods store they were talking OC and CC there are 2 LEO's who work there, he came home and told me about the conversation. They also told once he goes CC he gives up his right to OC, I went off. I said come here now sit down and pulled up this site and gave him an education. I had been telling him we can OC, the ex- LEO's got him as we say in WV skeert!!!,Were goingup there tomarrow OC, they dont have sign's, my son has bought 4 guns there since Oct
    Thats good to hear you "re-educated" the LEO's.
    It shouldn't be the job of citizens to do that.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    ripley wv
    Posts
    144
    A friend of mine is running for shrief here, i used to be his pastor at one time, my son asked him a question on CC, his replied, you dont need a CC permit OC is legal, that was refreshing. Most Leo's are either ignorant, or dont want us to know the laws, this 1 man has been a cop for 30 plus years so his answer to my son was refreshing to say the least.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •