• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in the Woods

mountaineer79

imported post

The WV DNR Hunting Regulations state:

[align=left]"It is illegal to carry an uncased or loaded firearm in the woods, except[/align]
during open firearms hunting seasons."

We have a continuous open firearms season for coyotes during the day and more than half the year at night. Doesn't that mean that you can carry a loaded uncased firearm in the woods year round during the day?

Sig229

imported post

"in the woods" seems like too far broad of a term.

What the hell would they consider "woods" 2 or more trees?

Why would you be allowed to OC in an urban area, but not up in the mountains?

Can you post a link to the site where you read this?

Thanks.

Sig229

imported post

mountaineer79 wrote:
http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/Regs0910/General_regs.pdf

It's the 4th item on the 1st page.

I agree that it's a very ambiguously worded law. The state is something like 70-80% forested, so why even allow open carry if you can only do it in 20% of the state. I guess you do need a gun a lot more in Huntington, Martinsburg, or Charleston than in the woods.

Your 100% correct, It does indeed say that.

Im dumbfounded. I cant imagine what legal basis they have for such a "regulation".

Hopefully the WVCDL gets on this.

Sig229

imported post

Anyone have any more info abotu this issue?

I am going camping in the mountains of WV in a few weeks, and Im NOT going unless OC is legal in the woods.

Not being able to OC "in the woods" is F'ing ridiculous and Im appalled that WV has such a stupid rule.

Dreamer

imported post

This statute is part of WVs incredibly convoluted and nonsensical Hunting Laws, and has nothing to do whatsoever with safety, protection of natural resources or logic.

WVCDL has been working to get this wording changed for years, but the WV DNR, State Police, and anti groups always seem to succeed in getting their proposed bills stalled in committee...

But they're still working on it...

Sig229

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
This statute is part of WVs incredibly convoluted and nonsensical Hunting Laws, and has nothing to do whatsoever with safety, protection of natural resources or logic.

WVCDL has been working to get this wording changed for years, but the WV DNR, State Police, and anti groups always seem to succeed in getting their proposed bills stalled in committee...

But they're still working on it...
Thanks. I have a lot of faith in the WVCDL, they do good work.
Hopefully that rule will get the axe soon.

eamelhorn

If you look up our game laws on line you will see that most of our year round hunting must be done in a field during closed season of other game, kinda of catch 22, if you carry in the woods during closed season on certain game you must CC, or they will hit you with hunting out of season.

Sig229

If you look up our game laws on line you will see that most of our year round hunting must be done in a field during closed season of other game, kinda of catch 22, if you carry in the woods during closed season on certain game you must CC, or they will hit you with hunting out of season.

Thats ridiculous.
All of WV OC laws need to be clarified. It seems like too much of a hassle to even OC in WV anymore. WTF is happening to that state?

eamelhorn

i agree the laws need to be clarified, open carry in the field i.e outdoor world, hunting fishing hikeing ect here in WV is a gray area, you must be up on OC CC and GAME laws to carry in our state, CC is the safest way during closed hunting seasons to stay on the good side of the WILDLIFE POLICE as they are now known here.

eamelhorn

Just a note a wildlife police said in a local sporting goods store that he can arrest ANY OC at almost anytime in our state. But luckly regular LEO's cannot write game violations.

Sig229

Just a note a wildlife police said in a local sporting goods store that he can arrest ANY OC at almost anytime in our state. But luckly regular LEO's cannot write game violations.

That LEO is a moron.
I hope you corrected him that he is NOT allowed to arrest a person for OC almost anywhere in the state.

Here in PA, every year ALL LEO's get an update on different laws and other things. And every year it is stated that OC is legal and it also clarifies all other gun carry laws.
Why cant WV do that?

eamelhorn

My son just bought a new 1911 45 today, he got hic CC Saturday, when he was at the sporting goods store they were talking OC and CC there are 2 LEO's who work there, he came home and told me about the conversation. They also told once he goes CC he gives up his right to OC, I went off. I said come here now sit down and pulled up this site and gave him an education. I had been telling him we can OC, the ex- LEO's got him as we say in WV skeert!!!,Were goingup there tomarrow OC, they dont have sign's, my son has bought 4 guns there since Oct

Sig229

My son just bought a new 1911 45 today, he got hic CC Saturday, when he was at the sporting goods store they were talking OC and CC there are 2 LEO's who work there, he came home and told me about the conversation. They also told once he goes CC he gives up his right to OC, I went off. I said come here now sit down and pulled up this site and gave him an education. I had been telling him we can OC, the ex- LEO's got him as we say in WV skeert!!!,Were goingup there tomarrow OC, they dont have sign's, my son has bought 4 guns there since Oct

Thats good to hear you "re-educated" the LEO's.
It shouldn't be the job of citizens to do that.

eamelhorn

A friend of mine is running for shrief here, i used to be his pastor at one time, my son asked him a question on CC, his replied, you dont need a CC permit OC is legal, that was refreshing. Most Leo's are either ignorant, or dont want us to know the laws, this 1 man has been a cop for 30 plus years so his answer to my son was refreshing to say the least.