• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Semi Auto or Revolver for OC .

Which do you prefer ? Revolver or Semi Auto

• Semi Auto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Revolver

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cbnlnk121

imported post

I currrently use a semi-auto CZ75 holds 14+1 but have been looking into the Derringgers(2 shot) so what cat.does that fall into?

hp-hobo

imported post

I didn't vote because I do both.

Revolvers are for at work because they're easier to operate with greasy hands or while working my land because they're more tolerant of dirt and easier to operate with sweaty hands. This is my opinion and experience, not a fact.

Then, generally speaking, semi-autos the rest of the time for their increased capacity and slimness.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I used to be fine with carrying a revolver, but in the last few years I came to the realization that capacity is more important to me than caliber.

Do I want to be stuck with only 6 shots before trying to reload a revolver in a very stressful situation, or do I want 17 shots at my disposal before needing to simply slide in a full magazine to have another 16 rounds available to me in less than 2 seconds time.

My revolver is a .357, my pistol is a .40S&W

25sierraman

imported post

I also carry both. I guess it just depends on my mood most of the time. The revolver is the only thing i carry when im hiking though. I guess i fall into the same train of thought as hp-hobo and i feel as if the revolver will be a bit more resistant to all the dirt and grit that gets into it when im in the middle of the woods. The semi is a bit more comfortable to carry IWB and conceal when im walking around town and what not.

younggun20

imported post

I have carried both, the reason I chose semi more than not is round count and weight. My Glock 22 doesn't seem to pull my pants down like the 686+ does

Via Glock.com

Glock22
WEIGHT
650 g / 22.92 oz.
LOADED (~)
975 g / 34.38 oz.

Via-http://www.proguns.com/smithwesson-686-6inch.asp

686+
• Weight Empty: 44 oz.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

once WI gets CC I am going to pick up a Ruger SP-101 > .357 /38 Special , it's alot more Concealable than my Glock 34...so the glock for winter Jackets & the Ruger for Summer shirts. If I need more than 6 shots I am in trouble regardless.

<<<<< 1900 posts woohoooo:cool:

CarryOpen

imported post

Hopefully you only need five then. That's how the SP is more concealable ;)

B

Bikenut

imported post

The word "you" in the following is used in the generic sense... not directed at anyone personally...

I keep hearing folks say that the "average" gun fight lasts 3 seconds, is at 3 feet, and takes 3 rounds. Or that if they need more than 5 shots they are really in trouble anyway.

Well... what is to say the encounter that you encounter will be "average"? Betting on that is just not logical. What is logical is to do a risk assessment on what kind of encounter you personally might reasonably expect to ... encounter... and plan accordingly.

Do you live in, or pass through, areas that are high crime or known to have gang activity? Can you count on facing only one assailant... or will there be multiple assailants? Bring more ammo capacity.

Are you a reasonably accurate shot in a self defense scenario where you are moving and shooting rapid fire? Remember, only hits count and if you can't make COM hits while moving and firing quickly... you will need more ammo capacity. You also desperately need more practice!!!!! Like it or not... real life isn't like the movies where the good guy shoots and the bad guy sprouts a hole right between the eyes..... and sometimes the hits that are made are not to COM but to arms/legs/hands and don't do much to slow the bad guy down.

To say that if you need more than 5 shots you are in deep trouble... and neglected to bring more than 5 shots... then you have decided to give up and let the bad guy(s) win after expending what you brought. Not very wise planning... to plan to fail because of lack of ammo.

So... what to do when you really prefer low ammo capacity revolvers (the reasons why don't matter) over semi autos?

Bring more than one revolver. Bring speed loaders.

Now.. please consider this... police carry a semi auto duty sidearm with ammo capacity of 15 to 17 rounds in the magazine... and 2 extra magazines... that makes an ammo capacity of 45 to 51 rounds.. and that doesn't count the officer's BUG and the rounds contained therein.

Officers carry that much because their job puts them in situations that might require that many rounds.... so... what factors are operative in your life that could lead to what kind of situations you could encounter... and how many rounds will you need to address the worst possible situation you can think of. Carry that amount of ammo capacity whether it be inside a couple of semi autos... one semi auto and extra magazines... two or more revolvers... one revolver and extra speed loaders.

What you choose for you is... for you and how your life is lived. What I choose for me is... for me and how my life is lived. Both are valid choices.

But, after a gun fight, to my knowledge no one has ever complained about having too much ammo....

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bikenut wrote:
The word "you" in the following is used in the generic sense... not directed at anyone personally...

I keep hearing folks say that the "average" gun fight lasts 3 seconds, is at 3 feet, and takes 3 rounds. Or that if they need more than 5 shots they are really in trouble anyway.

Well... what is to say the encounter that you encounter will be "average"? Betting on that is just not logical. What is logical is to do a risk assessment on what kind of encounter you personally might reasonably expect to ... encounter... and plan accordingly.

Do you live in, or pass through, areas that are high crime or known to have gang activity? Can you count on facing only one assailant... or will there be multiple assailants? Bring more ammo capacity.

Are you a reasonably accurate shot in a self defense scenario where you are moving and shooting rapid fire? Remember, only hits count and if you can't make COM hits while moving and firing quickly... you will need more ammo capacity. You also desperately need more practice!!!!! Like it or not... real life isn't like the movies where the good guy shoots and the bad guy sprouts a hole right between the eyes..... and sometimes the hits that are made are not to COM but to arms/legs/hands and don't do much to slow the bad guy down.

To say that if you need more than 5 shots you are in deep trouble... and neglected to bring more than 5 shots... then you have decided to give up and let the bad guy(s) win after expending what you brought. Not very wise planning... to plan to fail because of lack of ammo.

So... what to do when you really prefer low ammo capacity revolvers (the reasons why don't matter) over semi autos?

Bring more than one revolver. Bring speed loaders.

Now.. please consider this... police carry a semi auto duty sidearm with ammo capacity of 15 to 17 rounds in the magazine... and 2 extra magazines... that makes an ammo capacity of 45 to 51 rounds.. and that doesn't count the officer's BUG and the rounds contained therein.

Officers carry that much because their job puts them in situations that might require that many rounds.... so... what factors are operative in your life that could lead to what kind of situations you could encounter... and how many rounds will you need to address the worst possible situation you can think of. Carry that amount of ammo capacity whether it be inside a couple of semi autos... one semi auto and extra magazines... two or more revolvers... one revolver and extra speed loaders.

What you choose for you is... for you and how your life is lived. What I choose for me is... for me and how my life is lived. Both are valid choices.

But, after a gun fight, to my knowledge no one has ever complained about having too much ammo....
YOU forgot to add WE are responsible for the Bullet WE fire down range. in an urban setting a running gun fight means each miss is a potential innocent that just got hit. I don't care if your life is in peril, you better be able to account for your rounds & WHERE they went.

you got the bad guy but 2 of your rounds killed innocent bystanders , let me know what prison is like, ok.

elixin77

imported post

I carry a semi. It's more or less a personal choice for me.

Don't get me wrong - I still greatly respect a revolver. I just find they aren't me.

I have a friend who has a wheel gun, he loves that thing. He hates semi's. I love semi's. Not a big fan of revolvers. Personal taste.

I carry 25 rounds (3 magazines +1 in the pipe) - if I were to carry that with speed loaders, I would have a rather bulgy pocket if I may say so...

Either way, semi or wheelie, its the operator's choice, bottom line. People can go back and forth on everything, but it all boils down to personal taste, training, and experience with whatever they decide to defend themselves with.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

elixin77 wrote:
I carry a semi. It's more or less a personal choice for me.

Don't get me wrong - I still greatly respect a revolver. I just find they aren't me.

I have a friend who has a wheel gun, he loves that thing. He hates semi's. I love semi's. Not a big fan of revolvers. Personal taste.

I carry 25 rounds (3 magazines +1 in the pipe) - if I were to carry that with speed loaders, I would have a rather bulgy pocket if I may say so...

Either way, semi or wheelie, its the operator's choice, bottom line. People can go back and forth on everything, but it all boils down to personal taste, training, and experience with whatever they decide to defend themselves with.
Currently, I carry 1 spare mag, for a Grand total of 34 rounds.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Bikenut wrote:
YOU forgot to add WE are responsible for the Bullet WE fire down range. in an urban setting a running gun fight means each miss is a potential innocent that just got hit. I don't care if your life is in peril, you better be able to account for your rounds & WHERE they went.

you got the bad guy but 2 of your rounds killed innocent bystanders , let me know what prison is like, ok.
Ummmm... where did I say anything about missing? I pointed out that peripheral hits don't do much to stop the bad guy. I didn't say bring more ammo just in case you miss.

But your point is genuine... WE are responsible for each and every bullet that comes out of our gun no matter where it goes...

Hence the bit in my post about:

"You also desperately need more practice!!!!!"

Scrub

imported post

I voted revolver because I shoot my revolver so much better than my semi-auto, so that is what I carry. As my shooting improves, or I try another model or caliber of semi, then it may change. But for now, I go with the wheelgun.

CarryOpen

imported post

I think that it should be noted that the average number of rounds fired by officers in the line of duty tends to trend upward after they get semi-auto pistols. There seems to be a tendency to fire more rounds more rapidly with self loading pistols.

I'm not saying you need more or less than five rounds, I never carry without a reload. But just because the current trend is to carry 50 rounds doesn't mean that it's what you or I need.

Old Grump

imported post

25% hits by an average law enforcement officer under stressful conditions and a not so good regimen of regular marksmanship practice comes out to an average of 4.75 hits out of 19 rounds fired. (numbers are arbitrary, if you don't like them make up your own numbers)

A revolver man who practices regularly and who has been to the party so his reactions are tempered by experience makes 75% hits out of 6 shots. This comes out to 4.5 hits. Anybody see a pattern here between a shooter and a spray and pray man.

Beware the man with one gun, it might be all he has and he knows how to shoot it...well beware the man with only 6 bullets, he's probably pretty confident in his ability to make those shots count.

Okay nit pickers jump in and flame away.