• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Editorial in The Columbian (Vancouver) against open carry

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

No need to brandish guns in public

By Tom Koenninger

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 Let’s start with a basic premise: Unless you are in police work, security or the military, there is no reason to openly display a handgun in a public place. It’s called “open carry,” and debate on the subject — which hangs on the second amendment right of the U.S. Constitution to keep and bear arms — is raging hot and heavy <more>

ISRAEL

imported post

:cuss:And becouse he is an editor "emeritus", he knows everything, now all O.Ciers in Wash. drop your guns, and live free and happy. ha ha ha, Wash is going to be a Nirvana. no more guns on ly the chasen ones, wow.:banghead::banghead:

Greetings from Idaho.

69Charger

imported post

I will continue doing what I do. Being a US citizen expressing my constitutional right. As he has the right to express his.
Dave

Glock17

imported post

"Intimidation, whether admitted or not, is the motivation for packing a pistol or, more formally, wearing a sidearm. The sidearms are also useful for nourishing a superiority complex."

Well this would be the answer to the biggest problem we have with LEO crowd out there who think they should be the only ones with guns. But thats it. Most law enforcement don't feel that way. Fact is some law enforcement are telling folks to arm up because of the budget cuts hitting home. I understand this guys mind frame because alot of people justify security or law enforcement having guns. The problem is by the time they get to where you are with that gun your already dead. Or robbed or whatever is the intent of the criminal. This gentleman doesn't have any american values that I can see. He duck hunts. Grats on that sir. Your a real patriot.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Well, he has the right to be an idiot, just as I have the right to carry. I'll continue exercising my right to carry, as he seems to want to continue to exercise his right to be an idiot.

PoppaGary

imported post

I too hate to read these things....especially the "brandishing" part.:cuss:

I have been trying to work on a great rebuttal, maybe even get more than a letter to the editor; the Columbian sometimes offers "guest editorials" and I think on this subject (with as much Internet traffic as it has been generating for them) they wouldn't have a problem.

Need something more than a few words to help get the message out there.

I just hope Kirby goes with a judge and not a jury...based on the comments from the general population, they will tar and feather and then hang him!

Gary