• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Is that thing real, or is it a BB gun?"

OCinColorado

imported post

Today I was at a convenience store when a man in his mid to late 20's asked me..."Is that thing real, or is it a BB gun?" :what:

It was everything I could do NOT to burst into laughter right there on the spot.:lol:

My response was simple, "Why would I want to carry a BB gun?" to this he said nothing.:uhoh:

There was an LEO standing off to the side about 7-8 feet away and I heard him giggle at the whole exchange.
:celebrate

The LEO did no other action toward me. It is nice to know that at least this particular LEO has respect for open carry.

Plankton

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
Today I was at a convenience store when a man in his mid to late 20's asked me..."Is that thing real, or is it a BB gun?" :what:

It was everything I could do NOT to burst into laughter right there on the spot.:lol:

My response was simple, "Why would I want to carry a BB gun?" to this he said nothing.:uhoh:

There was an LEO standing off to the side about 7-8 feet away and I heard him giggle at the whole exchange.

The LEO did no other action toward me. It is nice to know that at least this particular LEO has respect for open carry.
I would have responded: "Why yes, it is. It shoots 45 caliberBB's.":)

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Plankton wrote:
OCinColorado wrote:

I would have responded: "Why yes, it is. It shoots 45 caliberBB's.":)
In that case, BB = Big Bullets :lol:

simmonsjoe

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
Perfect... Another opportunity to educate lost because it's better to act smart than be smart.

Good job.
This from a guy with a Hi-Point for his avatar. I can see it if you were the one this guy asked a question.

"Is that thing real, or is it a RAY GUN?"

just pokin' fun.:celebrate

Nikki_Black

Saint Francisville, Louisiana, United States
imported post

simmonsjoe wrote:
hp-hobo wrote:
Perfect...  Another opportunity to educate lost because it's better to act smart than be smart.

Good job.
This from a guy with a Hi-Point for his avatar.  I can see it if you were the one this guy asked a question.

"Is that thing real, or is it a RAY GUN?"

just pokin' fun.:celebrate
I wish my HP was a ray gun!
Haha.

OCinColorado

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
Perfect... Another opportunity to educate lost because it's better to act smart than be smart.

Good job.
Hey holier than thou hobo,
Time constraints did not allow me to go into an education moment or any long dissertation as to the legalities and virtues of open carry. And getting an appreciative giggle from an LEO was well worth it!

OCinColorado

imported post

Yah, some folks in here seem to take everything a little too seriously and think that all moments need to be on a "higher plain". A good remark does not, IMO, always put us all in a bad light! Who know if the young man thought about my response and realized how inept his question was, and maybe even thought of looking into the legalities for himself, especially since there was an LEO right there who chuckled at my response.

eye95

imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
Yah, some folks in here seem to take everything a little too seriously and think that all moments need to be on a "higher plain". A good remark does not, IMO, always put us all in a bad light! Who know if the young man thought about my response and realized how inept his question was, and maybe even thought of looking into the legalities for himself, especially since there was an LEO right there who chuckled at my response.
Well, you were in the situation, and I wasn't. So, short of you pulling your gun, and demonstrating, via the size of the hole you put in the guy, that it wasn't a BB gun, I won't fault you for how you chose to handle it.

OCinColorado

imported post

eye95, I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to hobo as being too serious!

Actually I liked your response!
"It's real, and it's legal to carry it this way."

Four seconds. I timed it.