• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Impatiently awaiting my CCW

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Here in Guilford county, the CCW permit is to be issued within 90 days. I applied on February 1st, so today is day 87. I have no criminal record, and I've never been institutionalized, so I have the utmost confidence that my application will not be denied, but this is has got to be the LONGEST 90 days ever! I'm going to VA (by way of TN, where there is no carry w/o a permit, even in a vehicle) on Saturday, and I was really hoping to have the permit before the trip.

What havebeen the experiences of other Guilford County folks?

Dreamer

imported post

Can't speak for your county, but here in Beaufort Co. I got mine in just under 3 weeks...

Have you called the Sheriff's office to see if they have it ready yet? They WILL NOT mail you the card--you have to pick it up in person. Maybe they called you, but you missed the call. My Sheriff's message sat on my answering machine for 2 days before I realized they'd called...

jp49911

imported post

Ruger wrote:
Here in Guilford county, the CCW permit is to be issued within 90 days. I applied on February 1st, so today is day 87. I have no criminal record, and I've never been institutionalized, so I have the utmost confidence that my application will not be denied, but this is has got to be the LONGEST 90 days ever! I'm going to VA (by way of TN, where there is no carry w/o a permit, even in a vehicle) on Saturday, and I was really hoping to have the permit before the trip.

What havebeen the experiences of other Guilford County folks?
It's nothing out of the norm. In Guilford County it can take up to five months. They have to issue or decline within 90 days but they only take applications by appointment.

Last year when I signed up for an appointment to apply, my appointment was set for two months out.

So that's 60 days for an appointment to apply and then they take every bit of the 90 days they have, before they issue the permit. Pretty ridiculous IMO.

grimstar

imported post

Wow, I'm glad I don't live in Guilford. Back in October, I applied for my renewal here in Yadkin, and I had the new permit in hand in one week!

Somehow, they actually gave me the new permit before I had even sent the check in for the mental health records check. That is a complete rip-off, by the way, 20 bucks just so someone can print "We have no records for anyone by this name." on a piece of paper and mail it.

Oh yes...and no social security number on this permit...I didn't give it, and it certainly didn't seem to delay things.

Grimstar

TheFreeman

imported post

The whole process really sucks. I got my permit in Cabarrus, and it took roughly 60 days if I remember correctly. That was after $95 of "finger prints" and the "non refundable fee".

I would call them and ask if it has come in yet. They might have tried to call you, but got the wrong number or something.

Good luck.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Well, today is day 89. I called a little while ago, and was told that apparently they "ordered" the permit last week, and that it should be in any day now. So I guess technically it was approved in less than 90 days, but I'm just probably not going to receive the permit within 90 (barring a phone call this afternoon). The lady sounded annoyed that I called her too.

TheFreeman

imported post

I hate that you're still having to wait. That really sucks.

Most government workers usually sound annoyed no matter when you call or for what reason. :p

I went poking around on the County's websites. Cabarrus and Guilford both say this:

"The Sheriff has 90 days from the time all of the application materials are received to either issue or deny a permit."

http://www.cabarruslaw.us/firearms_0.asp

http://www.guilfordsheriff.com/content/view/73/244/

It doesn't really say that the Sheriff has 90 days to 'approve', it is 90 days to 'issue'. Otherwise, I would imagine that lots of people would have 'approved' permits, but not receive them in hand... in the event a county is 'less than gun friendly'.