• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ot lawyer question

Recoil88

imported post

I am mostly looking to get some clarification on laws for cc. Do you have a number or address for his office or can i just google him up?

kyleplusitunes

imported post

I wouldn't ask a lawyer those questions, more often than not they answer wrong. your best bet is to call the state police in Lansing or ask here on the board.

most of us have been ccing and ocing for a long time, and we as citizens have to know the law better than people who enforce them

FatboyCykes

imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
I wouldn't ask a lawyer those questions, more often than not they answer wrong. your best bet is to call the state police in Lansing or ask here on the board.

most of us have been ccing and ocing for a long time, and we as citizens have to know the law better than people who enforce them

While the second part maybe true, lawyers have to actually see these things played out in court and have a bit of experience usually in these situations. So, while we may be able to define and concentrate the law(s) into a fairly simple answer, I wouldn't go so far as to say that seeking council isn't a smart thing to do.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Attorneys that will take on cases regarding firearm laws.

Steven Dulan Attorney, site:
http://www.stevenwdulan.com/

Jim Simmons: Law Offices of James T. Simmons, P.C. 45700 Village Boulevard Shelby Township, Michigan 48315-6093 (586) 566-1900 (586) 532-4110 fax jtsimmons@jtsimmons.com

David Bieganowski[/b]. 400 E 8th St., Traverse City, phone (231) 947-6073.

Melissa M. Pearce: 2276 Wixom Rd. Commerce Twp., MI 48382 (248) 467-1930 FAX (248) 684-0029 mpearce@melissapearcelaw.com and the website is http://www.melissapearcelaw.com.

John Freeman, Criminal Defense Attorney
Liberty Center Suite 200--100 W. Big Beaver Road Troy, MI 48084
866-720-3708 or 248-918-0790 Emergency 24/7: 313-330-2653 Troy, MI
Pro-gun and NRA member. Free initialconsultation with the Law Office of John Freeman, call 866-720-3708 toll free, or send us an e-mail.

Matthew G. Davis, 119 E. Kalamazoo St. Lansing, MI 48933 (517) 913-5107 Cell (517) 281-9374Foster5701@hotmail.com

Keith S Watson,1017 East Kalamazoo Street Lansing, MI 48912
(517)372-7000

Dean Greenblat,PLC. Phone # 248 644 7520 Fax # 248 644 8760
4190 Telegraph Road, Suite 3500
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302

Matthew C. Connolly: 409 E. 8th St. Traverse City, MI 49686 231-499-4339 connolly_law@hotmail.com

PT111

imported post

I find that for the most part asking on boards such as this and especially this board is usually you best bet for getting answers to you hypothetical gun law questions. LEO will tell you what they think is the law and are not always accurate. We expect them to know every law on the books but that is actually impossible especially the difference in intepretations of laws in different jusrisdictions. But for hypothetical questions they are usually a very good source.

As for asking lawyers unless you have an actual case they seldom will give the answeres you are looking for. They do see how laws are played out in court and see how two cases that are "almost" identical will have two entirely different outcomes based on something as trivial as what the defendant is wearing that day. Thye can tell you generally but don't expect specifics. I watched a jury trial one time (had to while waiting on a different trial) where one person was on trial for a traffic violation. He was one of seven people stopped and charged for disregarding a traffic officer or something after a ball game. All seven were tried separately for the exact same thing an all seven had jury trials. Three were found guilty and four not-guilty. This was the last one. I overheard the two parties talking afterwards about why the different verdicts. There wasn't a lot they could actually point to so unless you have a specific case a lawyer can't/won't give a lot of actual legal advice and even with all the specifics it is still only an educated guess a lot of the time.

Recoil88

imported post

Thanks for the feedback guys i appreciate it. One thing i was wondering about was carrying a round in the chamber. I always carry one in the chamber i figure it would be ok seeing as if i carried a revolver there is always one ready to go. There was something i read in a gun magazine about the safety on a gun and that having something to do with cicil liability if you were to shoot someone in self defense. I was wondering if that would have an impact on a shooting in this state or not.

lil_freak_66

imported post

Recoil88 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys i appreciate it. One thing i was wondering about was carrying a round in the chamber. I always carry one in the chamber i figure it would be ok seeing as if i carried a revolver there is always one ready to go. There was something i read in a gun magazine about the safety on a gun and that having something to do with civil liability if you were to shoot someone in self defense. I was wondering if that would have an impact on a shooting in this state or not.

iirc,

we are protected from civil suits regarding self defense situations in this state,as long as we are justified in the shooting.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
Recoil88 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys i appreciate it. One thing i was wondering about was carrying a round in the chamber. I always carry one in the chamber i figure it would be ok seeing as if i carried a revolver there is always one ready to go. There was something i read in a gun magazine about the safety on a gun and that having something to do with civil liability if you were to shoot someone in self defense. I was wondering if that would have an impact on a shooting in this state or not.

iirc,

we are protected from civil suits regarding self defense situations in this state,as long as we are justified in the shooting.

[align=center]SELF-DEFENSE ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 309 of 2006[/align]

780.972 Use of deadly force by individual not engaged in commission of crime; conditions.

Sec. 2.

(1) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses deadly force may use deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if either of the following applies:

(a) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent death of or imminent great bodily harm to himself or herself or to another individual.

(b) The individual honestly and reasonably believes that the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent the imminent sexual assault of himself or herself or of another individual.

(2) An individual who has not or is not engaged in the commission of a crime at the time he or she uses force other than deadly force may use force other than deadly force against another individual anywhere he or she has the legal right to be with no duty to retreat if he or she honestly and reasonably believes that the use of that force is necessary to defend himself or herself or another individual from the imminent unlawful use of force by another individual.

History: 2006, Act 309, Eff. Oct. 1, 2006