• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO encounter

jonnymcsavage

imported post

Had a LEO encounter last week while OC'ing in Northville Twp. I went into Noodles & Company on 6 Mile and Haggerty to place a carry out order. I was OCing my Taurus 1911 and none of the employees seem to notice or care. Paid for my food and went back to my truck to have a smoke while waiting.

I saw a friend of mine who works at the GameStop and I was chatting with him and another guy who noticed my side arm. He was friendly and asked me a ton of questions about OC which I happily answered.

I finished my smoke and started walking towards Noodles when I hear "Sir, can I talk to you for a minute?" It was a Twp. LEO so I went over to have a word with him.

He asked if I had a CPL and I immediately replied that I do not need a CPL to OC, nor do I have to show it to him. As soon as I told him that he said

" I am not challenging you, We got a MWAG call and I was sent to check it out. I know OC is legal but I have to do my job. Northville Twp. is well aware of the law due to recent legal action being filed all over the state"

He was nothing but polite and professional. We talked for a few minutes and he mentioned the Lansing Ponderosa incident.

He asked very nicely to see my ID and CPL and I cooperated because he was not trying to be a jerk about the situation, and looked like he was irritated that someone called in an MWAG for nothing.

We shook hands after my ID came back clean and he left. I was pretty pleased with the level of professionalism and courtesy that was shown and I am very happy to hear that Northville Twp. is aware of OC.

scot623

imported post

This is good to hear. I like how you handled yourself. Showing the LEO you know the laws, then offering your ID/CPL anyways. As long as the LEO's are respectful of us, there is know reason not to show it back to them. Nicely done.

malignity

imported post

Good deal.

Personally, I know some will not agree with me here, but if an officer comes up and isn't being a douchelord, I have no problems giving them my ID and CPL if they ask for it. I have nothing to hide, and my record will gladly show it. Treat people how you want to be treated. Act like a tool, and I'm not going to comply unless you force me, and if you do, well, expect to hear from my lawyer. :)

FatboyCykes

imported post

malignity wrote:
Good deal.

Personally, I know some will not agree with me here, but if an officer comes up and isn't being a douchelord, I have no problems giving them my ID and CPL if they ask for it. I have nothing to hide, and my record will gladly show it. Treat people how you want to be treated. Act like a tool, and I'm not going to comply unless you force me, and if you do, well, expect to hear from my lawyer. :)

Not exactly disagreeing with you or Scott and Lord knows Scott's had some very impressive progress with LEO, but it still gives me a....knot in my stomach just thinking about it.

I'm not 100% sure what I'd do in that particular situation, I'd like to think that, as politely as I could muster(obviously LEO demeanor would have a lot to do with it), reject the request and ask to leave, with all due respect. However, I might, in such a situation be so tense that I'd do whatever to try to make it as smooth as possible and get out of there w/o a ticket or some shiny bracelets.

I dunno....

1245A Defender

imported post

sasha601 wrote:
No matter how polite the officer is, I would refuse to show my ID. I would tell him that I would like to remain anonymous and would ask him to respect my privacy.
If you want to help him do his job, of checking you out...
i suggest showing your DL, and then your CPL,, while your thumb is over your personnal info!

that way he knows youve got ID, onlookers will see him do his job, you maintain your
annonimity

jonnymcsavage

imported post

He knew that I did not have to show him my ID or my CPL. I also take the stance that I have nothing to hide and if he treats me with respect then I will do the same. There is no sense in being a dickhead unless you have to IMO.

office888

imported post

jonnymcsavage wrote:
We shook hands after my ID came back clean

This is a sign of trust.

Police officers generally do not shake hands, due to risks involved with it.

Sounds like you handled the encounter okay to me.

-Richard-

manicdevery

imported post

my turn my turn. i think this was handled great and love hearing police professionalism. I used to prefer to remain anonymous when being confronted, but in this case where they are just doing their job and treat me with respect i will comply. After all, it is always easy to get their name/info :D

+1

Devery

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

jonnymcsavage wrote:
He asked very nicely to see my ID and CPL and I cooperated because he was not trying to be a jerk about the situation, and looked like he was irritated that someone called in an MWAG for nothing.

God I hate it when people give in and show ID. Oh, he was all, likeSO nice and everything so I showed him my ID.

And it's BS when a LEO says I have to do my job. F*#@ that. The NAZI said the same thing. Guess what it didn't work for them and it won't work for LEOs.

It's simple LEOs take an oath to uphold the Constitution and PROTECT INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS not violate them. If LEO's simply upheld their oath this country would be much better off. LEOs can refuse to uphold immoral laws and policies. Most choose to violate our rights on a daily basis.

In the example above the LEO could have said "I have to check out this call and I see your are just OCing, have a nice day." But he violated you by asking for ID and you let him.

jeremy05

imported post

yeah, actually a handshake is a pretty big thing. Thats a plus. Personally I never shake hands, don't get many opportunitys, but tactically speaking it ties up a hand and opens you up for many negative situations to unfold. lol nor do I get close enough :lol:

jonnymcsavage

imported post

Jesus Christ Venator, tell me how you really feel. I did not break down and do anything. Like I said before, why would I go out of my way to be an asshole to this cop?

It would cause me more problems to go out of my way and be a dick. I do not feel that my rights were in jeopardy, despite what you think. He did not attempt to disarm me, call for backup, or any other thing that cops do to be assholes.

Posts like these almost make me not want to post here. I try to tell you guys about it and I get the whole doom and gloom spiel, which is bullshit. Venator, you seriously need to lighten up a bit. Life is too short my friend.

jonnymcsavage

imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
yeah, actually a handshake is a pretty big thing. Thats a plus. Personally I never shake hands, don't get many opportunitys, but tactically speaking it ties up a hand and opens you up for many negative situations to unfold. lol nor do I get close enough :lol:
He shook my left hand and I am a righty. I am not too worried about things going south in Northville or with their PD.

FatboyCykes

imported post

jonnymcsavage wrote:
Jesus Christ Venator, tell me how you really feel. I did not break down and do anything. Like I said before, why would I go out of my way to be an @#$% to this cop?

It would cause me more problems to go out of my way and be a dick. I do not feel that my rights were in jeopardy, despite what you think. He did not attempt to disarm me, call for backup, or any other thing that cops do to be @#$%s.

Posts like these almost make me not want to post here. I try to tell you guys about it and I get the whole doom and gloom spiel, which is bull@#$%. Venator, you seriously need to lighten up a bit. Life is too short my friend.
For what it's worth, your in a room full of adults, adults with very passionate feelings and opinions on personal freedoms and liberties. Might Ven have got a little riled up? Maybe, but how is your post any different from his? We're all, for the most part, on the same side here. Just people sharing their opinions, you post something like this, and guess what, you're going to get opinions, some you'll like others you won't. Someone once told me something; Opinions are like....something....everyone has one and they...something...something.

Take your own advice, lighten up, it's the intrawebz!

p.s. Ven, CHILL OUT!

WARCHILD

imported post

To be sociably polite: "Opinions are like armpits, there are always more than one; and some stink more than others".

Don't take it too hard Johnny; Venator and I have always disagreed on this point.
He is very passionate in his beliefs and I respect him for that and the respect and ability for him and I to disagree on this point.

I feel the more pleasant an encounter a "polite" officer has, the better opinion he may have on his next encounter keeping in mind the other OC'er wasn't such a bad guy. As opposed to leaving him with a negative encounter in his mind thinking we are all looking to make his job harder.

On the other hand, a "hard a**" cop only deserves the same in response in which he sets the tone for the encounter. I have done it both ways and must be decided by each individual upon THEIR interactions with any LEO.

JMO

scot623

imported post

Every encounter is a unique situation. When you take the field with one play in your play book....you'll probably lose the game. I like being open to different situations and having different responses ready. I've not shown ID in one instance and shown it in another. Both times handshakes were exchanged at the end of the encounter. Some people don't what care LEO's think about them, even if it may paint all us OCers with the same brush.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

WARCHILD wrote:
On the other hand, a "hard a**" cop only deserves the same in response in which he sets the tone for the encounter. I have done it both ways and must be decided by each individual upon THEIR interactions with any LEO.

JMO

Yes, that ^.

One of the most productive, ( and politically vital ) responsibilities we have as OCers, is to build a bridge with the LEOs. We show them we are responsible professional, non excentric like some "militia" hotdog, and they can see us for what we are. Normal people who value our freedoms, and know what is needed to protect ourselves.

Saying we know we dont have to show ID, and then doing it anyhow, opens that door.

Wglide90

imported post

Great job in stating your knowlwedge of the law and then making the situation as pleasent for you and the LEO as possible. I know what Venetor is saying and agree, but on grounds that it gives the LEO the pweor they desire. On the other hand, it shows the LEO that you are law abiding citizen and polite,and he went away knowing you're OK. It's a win for you and you understood that it wasn't apower trip for him.

OK encounter.