• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Car vs Open Carrier

M

McX

imported post

saw it in the news; criminal jacks a police truck, and tries to run down the cops- smart one. 2 of them get him. makes a feller wonder, what are our options if someone tries to flatten us while out and about, and OC-ing?
(not just a near miss, a genuine they try to kill you)

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

Questions like this give antis the ammo to demand training classes. You'd shoot if this happened to you. If you had no way to escape and you felt your life was in danger, you'd shoot.

M

McX

imported post

tell ya the truth; i'd be thinking of what the D.A. would do to me, more than the car. that's why i ask.
please note; die obeying the law sucks as an option to me.

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

so a car is currently headed your way at a high speed, you have no where to hide, gun in hand, and the only thing your thinking is about the DA? I guess I'm crazy, because I'd be thinking about stopping the guy to save my life.

M

McX

imported post

something tells me, i have would have to prove intent- theirs. and then the retreat, retreat, retreat rule comes in. which makes me wonder how many bushes does he get to mow down, while i run, before i turn and stand? i'd be looking for something in the vertical variety to hide behind until i could flash a statute in my mind, that would justify my actions.

Cobra469

imported post

I would at least try to make an effort to move out of the way. If the vehicle corrects itself and is still bearing down on me then I made an attempt to retreat. If the vehicle does not change its course then I call the cops and report the reckless behavior.

Now what about if the cehicle misses me? Then it would be past me and could be argued as attempting to flee. A cop in this situation could still open fire on the vehicle but we can't do anything unless they stop and what go into reverse or turn around for a second run?

Which brings up another question. The vehicle just missed you and stops abruptly. You see from your position after diving out of the way that the reverse lights come on. Is this enough of a indication that the vehicle is going to try to run you down in reverse to warrant opening fire? Or do you have to wait for the vehicle to actually start to move towards you?

As for the story posted I think the criminal got what he deserved.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

And what is going to make that vehicle stop once you shoot the driver? Even if the driver takes one right between the eyes, that vehicle is still coming right at you at the same speed it was traveling in the first place.

I would run at right angles to the vehicle to try and avoid being mowed down.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
And what is going to make that vehicle stop once you shoot the driver? Even if the driver takes one right between the eyes, that vehicle is still coming right at you at the same speed it was traveling in the first place.

+1

Saving your life comes first before taking anothers. Bt shooting the driver he could also veer off to the side and hit an innocent bystander. Then what? Seems to me that you then have caused the possible death of someone else.

Cobra469

imported post

Nutczak wrote:

No life=no ability to stear=easier to run out of the way.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Dustiniac wrote:
But you will still be alive.
Yes but what if some little kid gets killed because you shot the driver and caused him to swerve off the road and into someones yard or up onto the side walk?

I would rather take the chances of surviving it myself. Just because I carry a gun doesn't give me the right to put my life before some innocent bystanders.

It also doesn't mean that my gun is the answer to every problem or situation I find myself in. You could actually jump up onto the car and you would more than likely not be killed. If you are in a dead end like you discribed earlier that would probably be the best answer. As Nutz said earlier shooting the driver doesn't mean you will stop the car.

Your better off letting the driver smash the car and not be able to leave the scene.

Besides, how do you know there isn't a small child in the back seat of the car that could be killed by your shot?

I think it was BNH who said, your firearm should always be your absolute last resort and only then in the defense of your life or the life of another. That pretty mush sums it up.

Now if you are in some dead end alley that is lined with brick walls and there is barely enough room for a car to get through and it is coming at you full speed,

maybe try jumping up on the car and let him hit the wall if that doesn't stop them you can always re-evaluate and decide if shooting down through the windshield would do the trick. At that point I would think you would have all the evdience you need to prove that the driver was trying to kill you. Otherwise, how do you know he just didn't fall asleep or have a heart attack or what ever else could possibly be the answer? How would you feel about shooting the driver then? What if the driver was a kid that somehow got the car started and had know clue how to drive?

M

McX

imported post

i'm thinking of some matrix type stuff, but mostly i'd run and dodge my butt off.