• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is that thing real?

OCinColorado

imported post

Today I was at a convenience store when a man in his mid to late 20's asked me..."Is that thing real, or is it a BB gun?" :what:

It was everything I could do NOT to burst into laughter right there on the spot.:lol:

My response was simple, "Why would I want to carry a BB gun?" to this he said nothing.:uhoh:

There was an LEO standing off to the side about 7-8 feet away and I heard him giggle at the whole exchange.
:celebrate

The LEO did no other action toward me. It is nice to know that at least this particular LEO has respect for open carry.

ZackL

imported post

OC,

In a situation like this, and this isn't to say you handled it poorly just how I would have handled it, I think it would have been good to educate the person who was questioning. Education is the key to making open carry more accepted by people. When he asked if it was real or a bb gun I (after a light chuckle) would have said that it was a firearm. That would have likely led to the other citizen, hopefully, asking more questions.

On a whole you did well and I'm glad that you had such a good experience. Also glad that the LEO was accepting of the situation and didn't try some crap like "oh, look, you alarmed a citizen; come with me please." Most don't seem to care, but it's not impossible for something like that to happen.

groats

imported post

What were you carrying? Maybe it did look like a bb gun. :)

bomber

imported post

i think your answer did educate him. it educated him to take you seriously.

good response

mahkagari

imported post

Nice! Agreed. I think the question, if not asked confrontationally, is very educational. It makes the person actually think about their statement and then actually think about carrying in general. I make my 5yo think about the answer to her questions before I give it to her. Someone of higher congitive function should be able to do so more easily.

cscitney87

imported post

No but those fully automatic BB Guns that run on CO2.. Those are sweeeeet. You can pickup a fully auto BB Gun/Pellet Gun for under 100 dollars. Handguns full auto too for around 80 dollars. Come on now who wouldn't want to mess around in the woods with a full auto bb gun? put some pellets in and full auto some small game?

mahkagari

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Come on now who wouldn't want to mess around in the woods with a full auto bb gun? put some pellets in and full auto some small game?
*raises hand* I have no desire to spend more time picking BBs out of meat than I would eating it.

cscitney87

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
Come on now who wouldn't want to mess around in the woods with a full auto bb gun? put some pellets in and full auto some small game?
*raises hand* I have no desire to spend more time picking BBs out of meat than I would eating it.
LMAO who ever said anything about eating it? I might run over to it and poke with a stick thought!

Kingfish

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
mahkagari wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
LMAO who ever said anything about eating it? I might run over to it and poke with a stick thought!
Let's say varmints instead of "small game"...I am thinking shooting rats at the dump.

mahkagari

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
I don't believe poaching falls under 2nd ammendment rights. Nor do I have a desire to spend money on a small game license to pretend I'm 8 years old.

mahkagari

imported post

kingfish wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
Let's say varmints instead of "small game"...I am thinking shooting rats at the dump.
Blech. I've got better ways to spend my days, but to each his own. Varmints are surprisingly hardy, though.They're likely to come runnin' for a CO2 BB gunlike it's a shiatsu. We used to use .22 shotshells for 'emat my Dad's salvage yard.

cscitney87

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
kingfish wrote:
cscitney87 wrote:
Blech. I've got better ways to spend my days, but to each his own. Varmints are surprisingly hardy, though.They're likely to come runnin' for a CO2 BB gunlike it's a shiatsu. We used to use .22 shotshells for 'emat my Dad's salvage yard.
lol you guys are funny.

repojoker

imported post

LMAO, that is hilarious. I got asked the same thing last Sunday. My dad is the DJ for a popular night club up north and we own bullet proof vests due to being bail recovery agents and repo men sowe usually wear emjust in case. Well the owner wanted me to go back and measure him for one since I did for my brother in-law. Well I had my .45XD with stainlessslide anda manI recognizedfrom doing pat downs (he's usuallytoo trashed to recognize me) came up to the bar ordered a drink and looks down andasked "are you carrying a BB gun?" I wasresponded by saying "no, it's it .45" Hethen asked "how can I carry one?"Asked him what was on his record he said he had a felony so I said jokingly well sorry bro you're outta luck which he responded he figured just thought he'd ask.

ZackL

imported post

repojoker wrote:
Hethen asked "how can I carry one?"Asked him what was on his record he said he had a felony so I said jokingly well sorry bro you're outta luck which he responded he figured just thought he'd ask.
Here's some information that I found about felons and firearms... http://www.topix.com/forum/us/federal-court-10th/T8N6U8KK6P0G4EJCK

I'm not 100% on the accuracy of the information, but it appears to be backed up by solid evidence.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
My response was simple, "Why would I want to carry a BB gun?" to this he said nothing.:uhoh:

There was an LEO standing off to the side about 7-8 feet away and I heard him giggle at the whole exchange.
:celebrate

The LEO did no other action toward me. It is nice to know that at least this particular LEO has respect for open carry.

It may be because shooting a BB gun is illegal anywhere in the city limits of Colorado Springs, lol...

Rather, as I suspect, he was probably thinking "nice comment."

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
Today I was at a convenience store when a man in his mid to late 20's asked me..."Is that thing real, or is it a BB gun?" :what:

It was everything I could do NOT to burst into laughter right there on the spot.:lol:

You could have said, "Yes."

That would have been a more direct answer to his question.

Doesn't sound like he was too experienced with guns. Probably why he asked.