• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for gunrange to train

nofoa

imported post

My friend calls me up this morning asking if i know of any places that will let you draw from concealment and rapid fire groups. He had caught a conversation between two people talking about it.

I told him that his best bet was to find a gravel pit, or drive 4 hours into the county. He wanted to practice at a laned gunrange. To which i replied all the places i know about you can't do that stuff even if your paying out your nose for a membership.

He and I have been out shooting to different places and we almost always "Get the talk"

I have tried google, and searching several gun forums to no avail. I figured i'd turn it over to you folks.

We are looking for.

Indoor gunrange where you can practice drawing from holster and rapid fire without paying for a membership.

Glock17

imported post

Sounds like you need an outdoor range with some free range areas. Might try finding some shooting spots in the middle of no mans land. Then also make sure your legal. Thats my two cents.

oldkim

imported post

No range in Washington will allow you to draw and rapid fire in their range (not without a membership).

Even with a membership you will have to go through a safety check by their range staff.

The ranges that will allow you to this with their memberships are: Wade's, West Coast Armory, The Marksman, and Shooting Sports NW.

Memberships range from about $250-$350 a year and you still have to go through their safety check to make sure you are safe.

killchain

imported post

nofoa wrote:
I pretty much told my friend exactly what you guys have said. Maybe i'll convince him to take a trip into the woods.
For the price of a range fee, he can buy a really really nice waterproof jacket and a brick of ammo. :)

nofoa

imported post

I've spoken with my buddy and told him the bad news. Our best bet was to drive out somewhere and set up a few targets. He was under the impression that you can't shoot anywhere in the county. I am not sure he is wrong, but i can't recall anything in code that says you can't. Were in Snohomish county. The only place i know about to shoot is "The Pit"

So maybe i'll make it my mission this year to find a place to shoot up north here.

If anyone knows of a gravel pit or shooting spot please PM.

:Begs:

sudden valley gunner

imported post

nofoa wrote:
I've spoken with my buddy and told him the bad news. Our best bet was to drive out somewhere and set up a few targets. He was under the impression that you can't shoot anywhere in the county. I am not sure he is wrong, but i can't recall anything in code that says you can't. Were in Snohomish county. The only place i know about to shoot is "The Pit"

So maybe i'll make it my mission this year to find a place to shoot up north here.

If anyone knows of a gravel pit or shooting spot please PM.

:Begs:

Shooting on public lands (not federal) seems to be preempted by the state. As long as you are meeting all the requirements.

http://www.atg.wa.gov/AGOOpinions/Opinion.aspx?section=archive&id=21188

Might want to talk to your local Sheriff first though, mine in Whatcom said as long as I am outside city limits they don't care. Even if I was inadvertantly "breaking the law" they would just ask me to move further along.

oldkim

imported post

Now if you and your buddy have the time and patience....

It's a bit more structured but you can always go shoot at "Fun Steel" or IDPA practice shoot.

They are offered at many of the ranges.

The Marksman, Champion Arms, Wade's, Norpoint to name a few of the top of my head. Do call as they vary. Some have them on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday evenings. Cost is typically very minimal - $10-$15

Most will allow rapid fire, some will have you shoot from a holstered position. Depending on the venue you are either shooting at steel and/or paper. For the IDPA practice you'll practice the scenario's the safety officer's have set up. Some are very flexible but all are self defense orientated - shooting using cover, strong/weak hand, etc.

Typically there is no "membership" to buy - just show up pay the range fee for the shoot. Again do call and find out the particulars for that range/event from them before you go.

I would recommend you check them out first and get to know the range officers running it - find out what equipment you'll need and what they will have planned.

Benefits is that there are some really good shooters out there and at these shoots they are more than willing to share their secrets of how they became so good (FREE Lessons).

But again if your buddy is set on "doing his own thing" there is no range without a membership and even with that it can be limited on what you can really do.

Metalhead47

imported post

PM tat2ed_guy . He knows a spot on the way out to Darrington where he shoots. Like others have said, as long as it's public, non-federal land, you're not near any buildings, and being responsible (know your backstop, not making a mess, not being stupid, etc etc.) you should be good to go. National forests are great shootin' spots too, if you can find a good clearing that the treehuggers havn't closed.

jbone

imported post

I’ll bet “C Post” needs a good cleaning.

Take 530 out of Arlington (crossing Stillaguamish river the 1st time) towards Darrington:

· Pass Trafton Elementary School Jim ( passing Jim Creek RD)

· Pass Ramstad Rd on the left (maybe half way point).

· Continue past Oso (maybe ¾ mark?).

· Continue past Oso towards Darrington, watch for Whitman Rd then Steelhead Dr on the left.

· Once you pass Steelhead Dr. be on the lookout for C Post Rd coming up shortly on the left.

· Reminder! Once you have crossed the Stillaguamish the 3rd time you are getting close to Whitman Rd.

Once on C post you will cross the river again (4th time), drive to the “T” in the Rd and hang a left, continue moving on the main logging road upward. There are several off shoots; I’ve never been on them. You won’t miss the bit pit on the right as you get up a ways.

This should give some basics for a map search.

nofoa

imported post

I'll have to ask my buddy to go exploring that road soon. I have a small sized truck so we could take some trash bags along to do some clean up. Thanks for your help.

Metalhead47

imported post

jbone wrote:
I’ll bet “C Post” needs a good cleaning.

Take 530 out of Arlington (crossing Stillaguamish river the 1st time) towards Darrington:

· Pass Trafton Elementary School Jim ( passing Jim Creek RD)

· Pass Ramstad Rd on the left (maybe half way point).

· Continue past Oso (maybe ¾ mark?).

· Continue past Oso towards Darrington, watch for Whitman Rd then Steelhead Dr on the left.

· Once you pass Steelhead Dr. be on the lookout for C Post Rd coming up shortly on the left.

· Reminder! Once you have crossed the Stillaguamish the 3rd time you are getting close to Whitman Rd.

Once on C post you will cross the river again (4th time), drive to the “T” in the Rd and hang a left, continue moving on the main logging road upward. There are several off shoots; I’ve never been on them. You won’t miss the bit pit on the right as you get up a ways.

This should give some basics for a map search.
Cool, now I know where that is. I've driven that bus enough times I thought I knew the roads better. Quick search on mapquest shows lots of good trails to explore & potential shootin' spots. Anyone up for a group shoot/cleanup?

killchain

imported post

Yeah, in Benton County if you're on public land, the Sheriffs don't seem to mind as long as you're being responsible. They will talk to you if you're on private land,, however. (Oopsie way back in the day, was an accident.)

Same with the State Patrol (at least in my experience.)

Matt85

imported post

i shoot at a spot just outside of darrington. im not sure if the above mentioned spot is the same but its onley about 10minutes outside of town.

when going threw darrington via the 530 from arlington you hang a left in front of the shell station. then take the first available right after you cross the metal grated bridge.

if your looking for a shooting partner send me a PM, i love going up there. :)

-matt