• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A BIT OFF TOPIC...

mdevar

imported post

I know this is a bit off topic, but I am hoping somone on this site is familiar with video surveillance laws as they pertain to Indiana.

We have had several problems with a neighbor that recently moved onto our street. The issues we've had with these people is what prompted me to obtain a LTCH. They've made a few threats to me and my wife, and even our dog. I'd never had problems with anyone in the neighborhood until they moved in. Even with firearms in the house (and the appropriate training for my wife and I) my wife still felt uneasy being home alone while I was at work. SO... I bought and installed several motion detectors and cameras - infrared video and amazing audio. I've had a couple of different people tell me I better be careful, because they could sue me if I had video recordings of their children in my home. Two of the cameras ONLY see what's on my property, but the 3rd one does infact see and hear their home and front yard. Can anybody tell me whether I'm breaking any laws? I'm not publishing any of the video or audio content, but I CAN tap into the cameras via an internet connection. I just don't want to give these people any ammo to launch a frivilous lawsuit against me. I did put up "No Tresspassing" "24 hour videosurveillance" and "I exercise my 2nd ammendment rights - nothing in this home is worth risking your life over!!" signs if that makes any difference. I'll appreciate any help given... thanks!

Prometheus

imported post

Provided you aren't purposefully aiming your cameras into their home or enclosed backyard you are fine.

As to the camera that goes into their front yard, you really should have it as the secondary or "over spill" and have the camera focused on more of your property. Thats just down right rude the way you describe it.

Also, I OC quite a bit. Neighbors, even rude ones and I had them in Hammond, don't respect people, but they do respect the gun. Sad but it's the truth.

Problem here is, since you probably haven't been OC'ing from the start, it's going to have the same effects as if it was from the first day they saw you.

I digress, keep you cameras focuses on your house and adjoining common areas and you'll have no worries.

mdevar

imported post

Maybe something came across differently than I had intended.... The 3rd camera I have only sees/hears what's in their front yard because it's on the 2nd floor of my home. The intent was to cover the entrance to my driveway, and the front of my front yard. Seeing into their front yard and being able to hear them was a 'side effect' of the placement - not the intent. If I could "zoom in" on my yard to cut their's out of the picture I would. Since I got my LTCH I've OC on a very regular basis. One of the regular visitors across the street made a colorful remark when he saw myPT145 - something to the effect of "Oh yea? I have a .40 with a laser sight on it ****" .... I couldn't envisage wasting my breath with a response.

Anyway - hopefully someone can help find some case law or IN statute regarding home video/audio surveillance as it pertains to my particular situation. If not, I'll take this whole thread down in a few days - as I know it's kind of "off topic."