• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter to the Editor of the Hartford Courant

Edward Peruta

imported post

After reading the news blurb on the shooting in East Hartford, I couldn't resist sending this letter.

Similar letters should be sent every time the news media reports a shooting incident.

To the Editor:

The Hartford Courant and all other news outlets would do everyone in Connecticut a great service by referring to victims of violent crimes in Connecticut as either "ARMED or UNARMED" when reporting incidents of shootings,robberies, assualts and home invasions.

Since the article where the 67 year old man in New Haven shot the person attempting to rob him at knife point in broad daylight, it now becomes newsworthy for everyone to know when victims are UNARMED and UNABLE to exercise their right of self defense through the use of firearms. An example would be “UNARMED citizen shot by ARMED criminal” or “UNARMED business owner/employee robbed by ARMED Robber”.

I for one would have preferred seeing this heading “DR. WILLIAM PETIT JR A LOCAL ARMED PHYSICIAN CONFRONTED TWO CRIMINALS AND SAVED HIS WIFE AND CHILDREN PRIOR TO THE ARRIVAL OF CHESHIRE POLICE OFFICERS”.

The list of law abiding Connecticut citizens being confronted, wounded or killed by CRIMINALS ARMED WITH FIREARMS clearly demonstrates that the playing field is currently not level.