• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tulsa World - California anti-gun group opposes legalization of open carry in Oklahoma

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100429_11_A1_RonBoe413399

In broad daylight
The next step for the gun measure is the House

By SHANNON MUCHMORE World Staff Writer
Published: 4/29/2010 2:25 AM
Last Modified: 4/29/2010 5:06 AM

Oklahomans licensed to carry a gun would be able to display them openly in most public places if a proposed bill makes it through the Legislature and is signed into law.

Supporters of the legislation say it simply extends already guaranteed Second Amendment rights, while opponents say open carry intimidates other citizens and wastes law enforcement resources.

The state already allows people who complete a background check and receive training to carry a handgun as long as it is concealed from plain view. The proposed law would not relax permit requirements and guns would still be banned from bars, government buildings and schools.

The measure passed the Senate last week by a 33-15 vote and now awaits action in the House.

State gun control laws vary widely, but more than 40 allow open carry for citizens in at least some situations. Some states don't require a permit, but others do. Four states ban open carry outright.

As of this week, 96,767 people have a concealed-carry license in Oklahoma, said a spokeswoman with the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation.

Detractors of the practice say nobody can tell whether a person carrying a gun openly is law abiding, and allowing the practice leads to more illegal and unintentional firing of guns.

An author for the bill, Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs, called those sentiments the concerns of "gun-grabbers."

. . .

Legal Community Against Violence, an advocacy group that seeks to end gun violence, argues that allowing open-carry laws can create difficulty for law enforcement.

Police are often called to a scene because someone has a weapon, and responders can't quickly determine whether the gun is owned legally, said Lindsay Nicholls, staff attorney for the California-based group.

"There's no way for officers to know that people are just exercising their rights," she said.

A spokesman for the Tulsa County Sheriff's Office says the office supports the intent of the Legislature with the open-carry bill, as long as proper background checks and current regulations continue to apply.

Interim Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan said the department does not have a stance on the bill, but has had no trouble with the concealed-carry law.

"We'll just have to wait and see, but I've been impressed with concealed carry," Jordan said.

Duncan said he is confident his bill will become law.

"It's going to pass overwhelmingly, and I fully believe the governor will sign it," he said.

eye95

imported post

There is a way for LEOs to "quickly determine whether the gun is owned legally." If the gun is properly holstered and not being handled, the LEO has no reason to believe that anything illegal is going on.

Bad guys almost exclusively use two states: concealing or brandishing. How many BGs have you seen or heard about OCing in a holster? They just don't do it.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Oklahomans generally hate people from outside of their state lecturing them on what to do, especially on firearms law. The OK House may just pass the bill out of spite to LCAV.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Mike wrote:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100429_11_A1_RonBoe413399

Detractors of the practice say nobody can tell whether a person carrying a gun openly is law abiding, and allowing the practice leads to more illegal and unintentional firing of guns.

What poppycock.. I could say the same about any person at any time. How do we know anyone is legal. Driving a car, illegal immigrant, pedophile, etc... This is logic?
And what data do they have that allowing OC leads to unintentional firings??
Legal Community Against Violence, an advocacy group that seeks to end gun violence, argues that allowing open-carry laws can create difficulty for law enforcement. That onus is on the department. If they screen MWGCs and respond like they should it won't over-burden any department. Especially since the majority of the people will know it's legal.

Police are often called to a scene because someone has a weapon, and responders can't quickly determine whether the gun is owned legally, said Lindsay Nicholls, staff attorney for the California-based group.

"There's no way for officers to know that people are just exercising their rights," she said. WTF? I like how they have that tone. JUST exercising their rights.
My comments in red.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Gray Peterson wrote:
Oklahomans generally hate people from outside of their state lecturing them on what to do, especially on firearms law. The OK House may just pass the bill out of spite to LCAV.
We Californians hate the LCAV too.

Sorry Oklahoma! :( :(

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have to wonder. Does LCAV not realize that gun carriers are against violence as well? Why the hell do they think we carry guns, anyway?

Oklahoma should send this message to LCAV. "KISS OUR GRITS!!!"

OK_Wildlife_Control

imported post

They can make the "derail" attempt all they want to ... after all, they have proven to be SOOOOOO effective in handling the shooting situations in California. All of my representatives, are like myself ... Licensed Concealed Carry Weapon holders, and all are in favor of this bill being passed.

Good for those who pass this ... Kudos to them ...

And for those who won't pass it ... I promise NOT to use my firearms in defense of your life, property or possessions. Because I respect your feelings.

KansasMustang

imported post

Being a close neighbor to Oklahoma and I go there very frequently on business I am watching this closely and of course in full support. WTF does anyone from Cali have to do with OK opencarry? and the stupidist statements I have ever heard:

"There's no way for officers to know that people are just exercising their rights," she said.

Mother of Pearl does she think a BG is going to draw attention to him/her self by OCing?
Of course, whoever said that Anti's ever think logically? I mean come on, if they believe carbon dioxide is a pollutant....

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Since when do the cops have any need, reason, or even far-fetched, convoluted invention of a purpose to know I'm a good guy?

No Police Officer, anywhere, EVER has any position or authority to make me prove I'm innocent. Not only are they not Judges and lack any such authority, they have to have a reason to believe I'm a BAD GUY to so much as touch me.

But if the media and anti-gunners can present the idea of all gun owners being guilty until proven innocent, even before they enter a court to have false charges dropped, I guess that lets them side-step the entire justice system and impose their hate-speech directly, eh?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Give a California Liberal the idea that there is someone, somewhere on this planet not under their control and being utterly subjugated by them, and they'll wake the hell up real fast and get out there and do their damnedest to rivet some chains upon them....

[That was one hell of a run-on sentence, I win!]

Sooner

imported post

The state legislature has passed the bill and sent it to the Governor for signature. If he does not sign it there appears to be enough votes to override his veto. We will see.

okboomer

imported post

ClevelandCarry wrote:
What's say the Highway Patrol just ask officers in 43 other states how they handle it.

I have a friend who is retired OHP and he tells the story of when he began to support Concealed Carry ...

It was a dark and stormy night. He had been in pursuit of a BAD GUY, lights and sirens, and the BG wrecked, but got out of his car and started shooting at the OHP. My friend says he then heard screeching tires and looking over his shoulder, thought he was going to get wiped out by an 18-wheeler that seemed to be out of control. With no more time to think about that, he turned back to the BG who had evidently run out of bullets or jammed his gun and decided he was going to run. About that time, my friend says he heard someone running up, the truck driver slammed into the HP unit, and drew down on the fleeing BG with a big ol' chromed 44mag revolver and asked, "Should I drop him for you? Just say the word, officer."

LOL, my OHP friend said that in all his years of service, the good guys far outweigh the bad guys and not only should CC be encouraged, but OC should be the law of the land. He also said, even before CCL, he would ask if folks were carrying, and if there were no outstanding warrants, would not make an issue of it. He said the majority of OHP he served with were of the same opinion ... an armed citizenry was a good thing.