• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is CC in vehicle on rental property legal?

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I live in a trailer, I own it, and rent the lot from tha trailer park. The driveway is part of the lot. I have no CPL, and so I need to know if I can enter my car with my gun?

I live next door to a drug dealer, and dont want anyone thinking I am unarmed, so I dont exactly want them to see me securing a weapon outside the car.

I beleive that I can get into my car because I do live there.

What about apartments?

What about a rented campground?

fozzy71

imported post

popcorn.gif

SpringerXDacp

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
I live in a trailer, I own it, and rent the lot from tha trailer park. The driveway is part of the lot. I have no CPL, and so I need to know if I can enter my car with my gun?

I live next door to a drug dealer, and dont want anyone thinking I am unarmed, so I dont exactly want them to see me securing a weapon outside the car.

I beleive that I can get into my car because I do live there.

What about apartments?

What about a rented campground?

According to 750.227, Subsection (2):

You can OC or CC on your property, business or other property you lease/rent or are in possession of.

B

Bikenut

imported post

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28ivyih455ivuuci45esru04a1%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-227

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.

Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00.

---------

All fine and good but if you leave the property YOU rent, ie.. the lot your trailer sits on... and you do not have the gun set up for transportation (see below) required for those without a CPL... then you are in violation because you rent the lot... not the trailer park and it's streets. Not to mention being in violation once you leave the park and hit the city streets.

---------

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28sado5bnpght1ties3fl5x33h%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-231a

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2); definitions.

Sec. 231a.

(1) Subsection (2) of section 227 does not apply to any of the following:

(a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.

(b) To the regular and ordinary transportation of pistols as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms.

(c) To a person carrying an antique firearm as defined in subsection (2), completely unloaded in a closed case or container designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of a vehicle.

(d) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle.

(e) To a person while transporting a pistol for a lawful purpose that is licensed by the owner or occupant of the motor vehicle in compliance with section 2 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.422, and the pistol is unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

(2) As used in this section:

(a) "Antique firearm" means either of the following:

(i) A firearm not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898, including a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica of such a firearm, whether actually manufactured before or after 1898.

(ii) A firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

(b) "Lawful purpose" includes the following:

(i) While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.

(ii) While transporting a pistol en route to or from his or her home or place of business and place of repair.

(iii) While moving goods from 1 place of abode or business to another place of abode or business.

(iv) While transporting a licensed pistol en route to or from a law enforcement agency or for the purpose of having a law enforcement official take possession of the weapon.

(v) While en route to or from his or her abode or place of business and a gun show or places of purchase or sale.

(vi) While en route to or from his or her abode to a public shooting facility or public land where discharge of firearms is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

(vii) While en route to or from his or her abode to a private property location where the pistol is to be used as is permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

--------

OCing without a CPL is such a pain.....

fozzy71

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
OCing without a CPL is such a pain.....

QFT

I am afraid of exactly what happened to stainless at arbys. I was going to OC the other day at DSW shoes as my first OC into a business. I pulled in an empty parking space and someone pulled in directly behind me and sat there chatting on the phone. I figure if I open the trunk and load out my holster/weapon, she would probably hang up on her current convo and make another call. :uhoh:

kyleplusitunes

imported post

why would you tell someone qft for a statement of fact?

why do you live next to a drug dealer stainless? you'll call the police to snitch out a kid with a car stereo but not call the police on someone who lives directly next door to you that is, in my opinion, someone who is not only a possible threat to you, but an absolute danger to your child?

maybe cps needs to be involved over at that park!

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

@ bikenut. Thanks. That is the way I read it too, but two heads are better than one.

@ fozzy. I completely understand where you are coming from fozzy. It turnedwas a positive experience for all involved, and thanks to some of our members, its now part of the movement via youtube and this site.

PLEASE do not refrain from OC because of someone elses irrational fears. OC depends on OCing. Without this issue, ponderosa, SIGfreids thing, and countless others, OC would be nowhere. The more people who deal with LEO, the public, and the news, the less problems we will have exercising our rights. I have OCed at the mall in Auburn Hills alot since my suspension, and have thus, been seen by hundreds, and have spoken to dozens of people about OC. I have spoken with Auburn Hills PD a couple times while there, and when I walk around and see mall security, its always, "Hi Neil, how is it going today?"

There is no one who was at Arbys that day who will ever make the 911 MWAG call again. This how this OC thing has to work.

Basically, the more OC happens, the less often we will be stopped for OC.

Be careful about 750.231a, Know how to handle RAS, and PC, do not consent to searches, and If you have to take the 5th, by all means, do so. WRR if needed.

If you want to get usewd to OC in public, by all means, start a thread, and ask someone near you to go with you. Ive already gone out OCing with Beerme, and would again.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
why do you live next to a drug dealer stainless? you'll call the police to snitch out a kid with a car stereo but not call the police on someone who lives directly next door to you that is, in my opinion, someone who is not only a possible threat to you, but an absolute danger to your child?

maybe cps needs to be involved over at that park!

I live next to a dealer because I was here first. It is a trailer park.

The dealer is the guy with the radio.

Thankfully, my daughter doesnt live with me in the park.

I dont see what Child Protective Dis Services has to do with this.

Leader

imported post

Yes you can get into your car in your driveway with your gun.

No, you can't go from your driveway to the street in front of your trailer with your gun in the passenger compartment with you.

I agree with the others, call the police and report the drug dealer. Use your voice recorder to get proof and maybe catch him doing deals on tape. The camera in your cell phone is your friend.

Good luck.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

thanks. Forunately for me, I have a vehicle with no trunk, so I can secure it in privacy, ( but only in my driveway ). Im still exposed while out and about.

As soon as I can find something on this dealer, beleive it, I will be talking to the authorities.