• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cover the boobs; leave the guns at home

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Cover the boobs; leave the guns at home

Diverse City By SHAY STEWART-BOULEY | April 28, 2010

Spring has barely started, and I was expecting a few of the usual seasonal assaults to the eyeballs: crusty, dirty-nailed toes in open-toe sandals; lumpy bodies stuffed into spandex; out-of-towners making the lines longer at my favorite ice-cream joints and fish shacks. But before April was done, we had two surprises in Portland: topless women marching from Longfellow Square to the Old Port, and a bunch of open-carry gun lovers having an armed barbecue near Back Cove.
At the risk of offending either group, one of which could smother me and the other of which could ventilate me, both events were assaults to the eyeballs, and general sensibilities. Breasts are natural and wonderful and great for feeding babies as well as serving some pleasurable needs. Guns have their uses and their places. But these events were very much in the faces of the wider public, and unnecessarily so. (And then the people at each event professed surprise about why others might stare, protest, or complain.)
Both events put me in mind of a recent column by Tim Wise, a white guy who speaks very eloquently on race issues, who challenged readers to imagine how Americans would have reacted to the open-carry demonstrators recently in Washington DC, had they been mostly black folks armed to the teeth and talking about revolution.
I don’t want to copy Wise, although I have to observe that many pro-Second Amendment Mainers would have freaked if a bunch of young Somali men had been sporting firearms in Back Cove.
Instead of simply reversing the skin colors, I want to alter the scripts.
Let’s take some of those gun-rights advocates, many of whom weren’t from Portland, and place them in their communities where it’s not a big deal to walk around with a gun. Now let’s have liberal activists who want to encourage sexual empowerment stage an event there openly displaying sex toys at a park. Sex toys aren’t illegal. No one is having sex. Would conservative gun owners be comfortable with that? I have yet to hear of anyone escalating an argument with a sex toy, or having a vibrator accidentally put a hole through a child’s head, or an angry spouse murdering his or her partner with a dildo.
And what about if some people angry at Vatican policies against birth control and abortion set up outside a big Catholic church on Sunday with a table full of condoms, Planned Parenthood brochures, and the like. Or maybe they get a little more radical and dress up like doctors, holding the tools needed to perform an abortion, and loudly proclaim the right of all women to terminate their pregnancies. Would anyone be surprised if those people were derided and accused of being aggressive?
Or maybe some people who are against drug laws could smoke a bunch of joints and bongs in Monument Square or the Old Port on a busy summer day when families are out enjoying the sun. Even if it was tobacco being used and not pot, wouldn’t people be justifiably angered at creation of an awkward and uncomfortable scene?
Yes, baring one’s breasts in Maine is not against the law. Nor is openly carrying a firearm. But the fact that it’s legal doesn’t make it appropriate to flaunt your goods among people who consider breasts private parts, or to have loaded guns and boast that you have 12 rounds in the clip and one in the chamber, while telling people they shouldn’t be afraid of you. Context is important. And so is common sense.

Shay Stewart-Bouley can be reached at diversecity_phoenix@yahoo.com.
http://thephoenix.com/Portland/news/101456-cover-the-boobs-leave-the-guns-at-home/

Bobarino

imported post

meh. none of the stuff he listed would bother me. breasts, sex toys, abortion or smoking weed don't really concern me. i'd walk on by with perhaps a curious glance just as i would an Oc'er to see what he/she is carrying and go about my business. not everyone is as uptight about other peoples' choices as this author is.

Norman

imported post

Personally don't have much of a problem with any of those. I will admit that if you are walking around naked, I will stare at your chest. I apologize ahead of time, but really I'm certain that you expected it.

As for staring at my sidearm....go ahead if you want. Is that really any different than staring at a funky hat, or a mohawk, or a woman that has enough metal on her face to callforth lightning from the heavens?

Glock17

imported post

Well I am going to be starting school for Journalism and honestly only see an entertainment factor to this story. Some scripting and acting involved. All in all its just a hit piece againts public nudity and open carry. Which the writer openly conveys are legal. Why waste the publics time on your opinion when it obviously doesn't represent the law in any way. And doesn't harm anyone in any way? Another hit piece to be stored on a server somewhere in cyberville. This story belongs in a liberal forum not a newspaper. Cheers

amzbrady

imported post

I just wish if their gonna whip em out in public, they wouldnt cover em up with a bulbulus headed baby, and dont get mad at me for staring (I'm just a guy), and dont ask for privacyin public.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Funny how the article tries to equate sex toys with guns, and tries to imply that gun owners and/or open carry advocates would freak out at the sight of some sort of LBGT event, or at the sight of non-white people open carrying. What a heap of doo-doo.

I, personally, wouldn't blink twice at such an event in my area. Even though I may personally disagree with the concept, it's their right to express their viewpoint, and I support that right. Heck, wasn't it a gay liberal that sparked the open carry movement in the Seattle area? Correct me if I'm wrong about the previous sentence.

Matt85

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
Funny how the article tries to equate sex toys with guns, and tries to imply that gun owners and/or open carry advocates would freak out at the sight of some sort of LBGT event, or at the sight of non-white people open carrying. What a heap of doo-doo.

I, personally, wouldn't blink twice at such an event in my area. Even though I may personally disagree with the concept, it's their right to express their viewpoint, and I support that right. Heck, wasn't it a gay liberal that sparked the open carry movement in the Seattle area? Correct me if I'm wrong about the previous sentence.

it wouldnt surprise me if it was true. people today seem to have the mistaken idea that all people who love firearms and support the second amendment are crazy religious rednecks. i would love to introduce the people who think this way to my friend Shanna, she is a transvesdite who is also a firearms enthusiast. i sincerly doubt Shanna (or myself for that matter) would mind if women walked around nude and people smoked pot in the streets.

-matt

sudden valley gunner

imported post

None of that stuff bothers me either.

I think when you get rid of the few pet peeve issues folks have most of us are fairly libertarian in our viewpoints.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What you will find is most gun owners are pro individual liberty and want to be left alone.

What you will find is that most in the gay community are pro individual liberty and want to be left alone.

Seen on a bumper sticker:

"Against gay marriage? Don't get one!"

Seen coming out of my mouth:

"Against guns? Don't get one!"

killchain

imported post

Yeah, no crap.

Do whatever you want, as long as you don't hurt anyone in the process.

Leave me alone and let me play with my guns.

Jeez. How hard is that? Only thing that gets hurt by my gun nut attitude is my checking account. :p

PT111

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
What you will find is most gun owners are pro individual liberty and want to be left alone.

What you will find is that most in the gay community are pro individual liberty and want to be left alone.

Seen on a bumper sticker:

"Against gay marriage? Don't get one!"

Seen coming out of my mouth:

"Against guns? Don't get one!"

I am glad you included the word most because I think you are correct that most do want to be left alone but just like gun owners and about any other group there are some that do not want to be left alone but want attention and will go to any lengths to get it. If you ignore them one time they will just change their actions until they finally find someone that will react. Maybe you see two guys walking down the street and don't pay them any attention so they hold hands. Still being ignored they start being more affectionate until you finally have to react. Some gun owners are not satisfied with being ignored so they get a bigger gun and some even go to the point of painting it orange.

Gold teeth, rainbow flags, orange guns, and loud music are all just a way og getting attnetion and making people react. If you say none of this stuff bothers me then don't worry someone will find a way to do something that will bother you. The article was aboutexactly that, how far doesa group push the limits of the law to be declared indecent. You may not consider it indecent but someone does and if you don't then give them time to change tactits.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Truthfullythere are things that bother me that other people do. The bottom line is though even if I don't like it, and it is causing me or my loved ones no harm, I do nothing about it. It simply is not my place, I am absolutely positive there are things about me that bother others andI don't want them bothering me if I am not causing them no harm.

OC-Glock19

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mmmm...Boobs and guns. Two of my favorite things.

The writer of the article must be female. What kind of name is Shay, anyway? Like the name "Pat" it leaves you clueless as to the gender.

amzbrady

imported post

OC-Glock19 wrote:
Mmmm...Boobs and guns. Two of my favorite things.

The writer of the article must be female. What kind of name is Shay, anyway? Like the name "Pat" it leaves you clueless as to the gender.

I Love to fondle both, too.

So does pat