• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cover the boobs, leave the guns at home

Hendu024

imported post

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet...

http://thephoenix.com/Portland/news/101456-cover-the-boobs-leave-the-guns-at-home/

Spring has barely started, and I was expecting a few of the usual seasonal assaults to the eyeballs: crusty, dirty-nailed toes in open-toe sandals; lumpy bodies stuffed into spandex; out-of-towners making the lines longer at my favorite ice-cream joints and fish shacks. But before April was done, we had two surprises in Portland: topless women marching from Longfellow Square to the Old Port, and a bunch of open-carry gun lovers having an armed barbecue near Back Cove.
At the risk of offending either group, one of which could smother me and the other of which could ventilate me, both events were assaults to the eyeballs, and general sensibilities. Breasts are natural and wonderful and great for feeding babies as well as serving some pleasurable needs. Guns have their uses and their places. But these events were very much in the faces of the wider public, and unnecessarily so. (And then the people at each event professed surprise about why others might stare, protest, or complain.)
Both events put me in mind of a recent column by Tim Wise, a white guy who speaks very eloquently on race issues, who challenged readers to imagine how Americans would have reacted to the open-carry demonstrators recently in Washington DC, had they been mostly black folks armed to the teeth and talking about revolution.
I don’t want to copy Wise, although I have to observe that many pro-Second Amendment Mainers would have freaked if a bunch of young Somali men had been sporting firearms in Back Cove.

Instead of simply reversing the skin colors, I want to alter the scripts.
Let’s take some of those gun-rights advocates, many of whom weren’t from Portland, and place them in their communities where it’s not a big deal to walk around with a gun. Now let’s have liberal activists who want to encourage sexual empowerment stage an event there openly displaying sex toys at a park. Sex toys aren’t illegal. No one is having sex. Would conservative gun owners be comfortable with that? I have yet to hear of anyone escalating an argument with a sex toy, or having a vibrator accidentally put a hole through a child’s head, or an angry spouse murdering his or her partner with a dildo.

And what about if some people angry at Vatican policies against birth control and abortion set up outside a big Catholic church on Sunday with a table full of condoms, Planned Parenthood brochures, and the like. Or maybe they get a little more radical and dress up like doctors, holding the tools needed to perform an abortion, and loudly proclaim the right of all women to terminate their pregnancies. Would anyone be surprised if those people were derided and accused of being aggressive?

Or maybe some people who are against drug laws could smoke a bunch of joints and bongs in Monument Square or the Old Port on a busy summer day when families are out enjoying the sun. Even if it was tobacco being used and not pot, wouldn’t people be justifiably angered at creation of an awkward and uncomfortable scene?
Yes, baring one’s breasts in Maine is not against the law. Nor is openly carrying a firearm. But the fact that it’s legal doesn’t make it appropriate to flaunt your goods among people who consider breasts private parts, or to have loaded guns and boast that you have 12 rounds in the clip and one in the chamber, while telling people they shouldn’t be afraid of you. Context is important. And so is common sense.

smokeshow515

imported post

Hendu024 wrote:
Yes, baring one’s breasts in Maine is not against the law. Nor is openly carrying a firearm. But the fact that it’s legal doesn’t make it appropriate to flaunt your goods among people who consider breasts private parts, or to have loaded guns and boast that you have 12 rounds in the clip and one in the chamber, while telling people they shouldn’t be afraid of you. Context is important. And so is common sense.

Sex, drugs and guns. Sweet article. In all actuality, I've seen drugs done and sold in Tommy's park, bare breasted women sunning themselves in various locations, public fornication, open carry, religious recruitment and many other forms of both legal and illegal actions and behaviors in Portland.

People are taking issue with the fact not that these things exist (or maybe they are), but greater issue with the fact that they are happening en masse and for some sociopolitical agenda, at least in the case of exposed breasts and open carry. Negative reaction in some capacity is to be expected. Derf.

For me, the larger question is whether exhibitions such as this and more frequent individual carry will aid in resocializing Portlanders re: negative reactions to open carry and otherwise lawfully held firearms. Are things moving to quickly and meeting too much resistance? We shall see...

SmithD

imported post

Maybe we should ask the topless ladies if they would like to join us open carry folks for a stroll through the oaks?

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

SmithD wrote:
Maybe we should ask the topless ladies if they would like to join us open carry folks for a stroll through the oaks?
I'm hoping that thats a joke, I've been trying to distance us from them since the beginning. Their agenda is purely political and to force people to view them. We're just trying to slip into everyday life. They aren't ever going to walk around topless on their day to day activities (how many stores say "no shirt, no shoes, no service)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
SmithD wrote:
I'm hoping that thats a joke, I've been trying to distance us from them since the beginning. Their agenda is purely political and to force people to view them. We're just trying to slip into everyday life. They aren't ever going to walk around topless on their day to day activities (how many stores say "no shirt, no shoes, no service)
How exactly is a topless woman going to defend herself from attack? Give the bg what he wants, hope for the best and call 911 if she is still able?

A well care for handgun on the other hand...........well I am preaching to the choir aren't I?

Me thinks the writer doth compare opposites - being naked is NOT the same as being well dressed. :D

Yata hey

MK

imported post

There are alot of things I don't like and that may offend my own opinions and sensibilities, however, it is not my right to dictate to these people what they should and shouldn't be able to do in regards to their legal practicing of their beliefs.

The same to the authorof the text inthe original post.They have the right to whine about what others do andthey have a right to expresstheir opinion to them or any other random people ifthey feel like it and choose the legal means available to do so. Maybe one day they will understand that "families" aren't the only ones who count in our society.

SmithD

imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
SmithD wrote:
Yes that was a joke!!

SmithD

imported post

shanebelanger wrote:
SmithD wrote:
many more than say no weapons