• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iowa CC Renewal

gyrocfi

imported post

Culver signed the bill :lol:. My renewal date is in March of 2011. As I read the bill: I'll have to renew 30 days prior to expiration; It will cost me $25; I will have to do what, for renewal :question: Show that I'm a Honorably Discharged soldier? Take another class? Go to the range? Help me out on understanding this portion of the law. Thanks in advance.

amaixner

imported post

If I recall the legislation correctly: You will have to fulfill the training requirements within a 1 year period prior to the application for renewal. I don't have a copy of the training options handy, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. Get a document stating that you fulfilled one of the training options within a year before the renewal time, and you should be good to go.

The Department of Public Safety should have it all clarified and explained in plain English well before the end of this year.

gyrocfi

imported post

amaixner wrote:
Get a document stating that you fulfilled one of the training options within a year before the renewal time, and you should be good to go.
So I can use the training I received for issue as my renewal training (Since I received it less than a year prior to renewal). Thanks, I'll keep an eye on documents coming out of the Dept of Public Safety.

mrjam2jab

imported post

Not sure how the "within 12 months of renewal" works for DD-214. :?

But you could still go to the range to requalify if you desire.

Code:
724.9 Firearm training program. 

1. An applicant shall demonstrate knowledge of firearm  safety by any of the following means:  

a. Completion of any national rifle association handgun  safety training course.

b. Completion of any handgun safety training course  available to the general public offered by a law enforcement  agency, community college, college, private or public  institution or organization, or firearms training school,  utilizing instructors certified by the national rifle  association or the department of public safety or another  state's department of public safety, state police department,  or similar certifying body.  

c. Completion of any handgun safety training course offered  for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any  division or subdivision of a law enforcement or security  enforcement agency approved by the department of public safety.  

d. Completion of small arms training while serving with the  armed forces of the United States as evidenced by any of the  following: 

(1) For personnel released or retired from active duty,  possession of an honorable discharge or general discharge under  honorable conditions.  

(2) For personnel on active duty or serving in one of the  national guard or reserve components of the armed forces of the  United States, possession of a certificate of completion of  basic training with a service record of successful completion  of small arms training and qualification.  

e. Completion of a law enforcement agency firearms training  course that qualifies a peace officer to carry a firearm in the  normal course of the peace officer's duties.  

2. Evidence of qualification under this section may be  documented by any of the following:  
 a. A photocopy of a certificate of completion or any  similar document indicating completion of any course or class  identified in subsection 1. 

b. An affidavit from the instructor, school, organization,  or group that conducted or taught a course or class identified  in subsection 1 attesting to the completion of the course or  class by the applicant.  

c. A copy of any document indicating participation in any  firearms shooting competition.  

3. An issuing officer shall not condition the issuance of a  permit on training requirements that are not specified in or  that exceed the requirements of this section.[/quote]