• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Denny's Greets us with OPEN ARMS.

69Charger

imported post

Thank you G22. You have explained your position with out the "YOUR WRONG" attitude that I was getting used to.
See ya there. :)
Dave

I was just trying to do the right thing. :) In "MY" eyes. What has been done before or in the future depends on what "YOU" see as your right thing. No foul, no harm :)

69Charger

imported post

We may also have a few good folks from the 1911forum and Northwest firearms and other forums come join us. We have gotten together for a few range times and it was fun. There are a lot of gun owners out there wanting to show there support for our 2nd amendment rights and this is a good easy way to do it. Just show up and have a cup of Joe and thats it. The cup of Joe just helps keep the Restaurant happy with us. If you are there then It is asumed that you are there to support the 2nd amendment. :)
Dave

kparker

imported post

Thank you G22. You have explained your position with out the "YOUR WRONG" attitude that I was getting used to.

Great, we're most of the way there. Perhaps you might also acknowledge that your saying "I was just trying to do the right thing" does hold an implication that others might be doing it wrong.

69Charger

imported post

Thanks KP. I didnt realize that what I had said may be seen as other have been doing it wrong. I added a little comment on a previous post to help explain my position. :)
Dave

Tomas

imported post

(1) I'm a n00b on this forum (but not new to carrying - since 1970 when I got back from 'Nam, and not new to 'teh intarwebz - put my first internet server on-line in 1984)

(2) I'm not new to legal public gatherings.

(3) I've just been sitting back watching this discussion go back and forth.

I belong to a marque specific car group, and we have informal monthly Meet & Greets all over the Pacific Northwest. In Tacoma we've been meeting in the same parking lot for the past three years, second Friday every month, rain or shine.

We have worked with the managers of the strip mall and the stores ans restaurants in it to make sure they know that WE have rules of behavior even tighter than theirs, and I have personally worked with the local TPD shift commander that covers that area so that his officers know why there are a bunch of people standing around chatting in the parking lot second Friday every month (I even have a letter from him in my glove box), and know that we have worked with the mall managers on this.

Parking 15 to 40 cars in a clump, out of everyone's way, in the late evening, and gathering rain or shine to talk about cars and then heading to one of many restaurants to wind things up is absolutely legal, but trust me, it has worked better for us after letting everyone know who we are and why we are there.

What we do is innocuous and perfectly legal, we get in no one's way, and we actually often end up at one of the restaurants on the strip.

BEFORE we talked with everyone, it was quite common to have not only the mall security, but TPD hassling us every time we showed up, even though we were doing nothing unlawful and bothering no one.

So, c'mon, guys, give Dave a break here. He was simply being polite and letting folks know that a group of people would be gathering on a regular basis. Doesn't matter it it is a car club, a knitting club, or a bunch of guys with guns, it's just polite.

(Now I'll crawl back into the woodwork and drop back into lurk mode.)

sudden valley gunner

imported post

...but would you call if if there were 4-7 people stopping by to get a bite to eat and converse, like groups of this size do everyday for a variety of reasons?

Dave did nothing wrong, this idea for a gathering is a great idea and to be applauded, That Denny's is aboard is to be applauded. No harm has come out of it, but what would he have done if the police said we rather you not?

I feel differently about "warning" people that you are about to engage in a perfectly legal and harmless activity, and that it doesn't further the nomalization of openly carrying firearms. I too had once had this thinking though and have been corrected by members here and see the wisdom behind not encouraging this.

69Charger

imported post

I need no CORRECTING. :)
Thank you for the offer though. LOL

69Charger

imported post

By the way.
Is what I have done changed the minds of anyone, concerning if they will show up or not?
Dave

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Tomas wrote:
(1) I'm a n00b on this forum (but not new to carrying - since 1970 when I got back from 'Nam, and not new to 'teh intarwebz - put my first internet server on-line in 1984)

(2) I'm not new to legal public gatherings.

(3) I've just been sitting back watching this discussion go back and forth.

I belong to a marque specific car group, and we have informal monthly Meet & Greets all over the Pacific Northwest. In Tacoma we've been meeting in the same parking lot for the past three years, second Friday every month, rain or shine.

We have worked with the managers of the strip mall and the stores ans restaurants in it to make sure they know that WE have rules of behavior even tighter than theirs, and I have personally worked with the local TPD shift commander that covers that area so that his officers know why there are a bunch of people standing around chatting in the parking lot second Friday every month (I even have a letter from him in my glove box), and know that we have worked with the mall managers on this.

Parking 15 to 40 cars in a clump, out of everyone's way, in the late evening, and gathering rain or shine to talk about cars and then heading to one of many restaurants to wind things up is absolutely legal, but trust me, it has worked better for us after letting everyone know who we are and why we are there.

What we do is innocuous and perfectly legal, we get in no one's way, and we actually often end up at one of the restaurants on the strip.

BEFORE we talked with everyone, it was quite common to have not only the mall security, but TPD hassling us every time we showed up, even though we were doing nothing unlawful and bothering no one.

So, c'mon, guys, give Dave a break here. He was simply being polite and letting folks know that a group of people would be gathering on a regular basis. Doesn't matter it it is a car club, a knitting club, or a bunch of guys with guns, it's just polite.

(Now I'll crawl back into the woodwork and drop back into lurk mode.)

This is not the same.

There are many things here that are very different. Loitering andparking on private property are concerns for managers and they do need permission. I used to manage G.I. Joe's and I have hosted many of these types of events with permission. I have had the police disperse other car groups that did not have permission. Why? Because of a couple of reasons; Another type of event was planned and would overlap, they did not ask and usually I offered a type of coupon for them to hand out in exchange for the permission, and security concerns.

I have also had a spontaneous group of bikers show up to shop. This is also very differnt as they would enter the store, shop, spend money and leave just like any other customer during business hours. I had no problems with these types of groups either. And hey did not call ahead to shop.

What we are talking about is simply a group of aquaintences going to have a bite to eat. There is no permission needed fordinner, their parking lot is provided for patrons of the establishment. Our primary goal is to eat, NOT to use their parking lot to meet.

Apples/Oranges

sudden valley gunner

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Dave I have a question. What would you have done if the police said they dont want an open carry meet in their jurisdiction?

That's what I was asking. It then puts someone who is trying to respect the leo in the awkward posistion of either having his rights denied out of respect, or disrespecting the leo's wishes.

Dave my wording might have been poor but I don't think I stated I was correcting your thinking, only that I felt my thinking were corrected I feel differently about many a few things since joining here. I apologize if I offended you in anyway.

69Charger

imported post

As I "know" what we were going to do was legal this was never a Question in my mind. I did not ask permission to do this, I only made them aware that this was going to be a once a month gathering. If they had said that they did not want this to be in there area, I would of challenged them to prove to me that this was an illegal gathering or act, that we, I, wanted to do.
Remember that I did not ASK for permission, but told them, that this was going to go on. My little public relations kind of thing. Yes I KNOW all this is unnecessary but this is what I and I say "I" again, felt comfortable with doing.
I still have not heard any one say to me that this was WRONG. Only that this was unnecessary. I can live with that. :) See ya there, if you DARE. HA HA HA. LOL:what:
(just a little humor )
Dave

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Nope nothing wrong Dave just different opinions. If I was down south I'd be there and give you a hearty thanks for arranging the gathering.

If nothing else you sparked a great discussion. Where nobody called into character anybody's intelligence or resorted to ad hominem attacks.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

It has been a few years since I was at this Denny's but if you want to test your theories as to open carry stopping crime, show up late night Friday to Sunday when they have paid LE at the doors do to the criminal activity there.

Sharpen up on your skills:lol:

69Charger

imported post

I have also heard that there may have been issues there. Maybe if they get wind of a group of legally armed 2nd amendment supporting good folks showing up to there haunt, they might just want to stay away. It would be a good thing. :)
Dave

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

69Charger wrote:
I have also heard that there may have been issues there. Maybe if they get wind of a group of legally armed 2nd amendment supporting good folks showing up to there haunt, they might just want to stay away. It would be a good thing. :)
Dave
Could be but as most of us have learned, careful what you asked for as you may get it but not the way you want.