• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to this

birdog23

imported post

my brother and i have been around guns since as long as i can remember and hunt every opportunity we get. we stumbled upon this site a while ago and since have read almost every post and have decided to start OCing. i was wondering if there was a get together or anything coming up. i would really like to see how to handle people's reactions in store's,police,or just the big mouth lady im sure everybody has come across. thanks in advance for any advise.

NightOwl

imported post

birdog23 wrote:
my brother and i have been around guns since as long as i can remember and hunt every opportunity we get. we stumbled upon this site a while ago and since have read almost every post and have decided to start OCing. i was wondering if there was a get together or anything coming up. i would really like to see how to handle people's reactions in store's,police,or just the big mouth lady im sure everybody has come across. thanks in advance for any advise.

I'm not sure where you're from (I'm assuming Idaho, but what part of the state might affect the reactions you'd get), so this is based off of my experience of OC in the Nampa/Caldwell area. YMMV.

I OC'd everywhere I went, with the exception of occasional trips to the post office (prohibited by federal law). 99% of the time either nobody noticed or nobody commented. I'm sure you'd find this to be the case as well. On the 1% when people comment, just be courteous and honest.

I've spoken to the police about it once when I was OC on my porch talking to a neighbor during an incident, and he was embarrassed to ask me to take it inside (a fireman at a neighboring apartment got scared) or he'd have to have someone stand by with me. However, my impression was that he himself had no problem with it, as I'd spoken to him regarding the incident a few minutes prior and it wasn't an issue. Other than that, I've seen police around town while I was walking, or in line at a store, or whatever...not a comment at all, it's just normal everyday business as usual. Just as it should be.

I've spoken to a manager at a gas station/store, who was fine with it. Occasional people in passing at various locations, no big deal. A little courtesy goes a long way. I never encountered a rabid anti-gun person while in Idaho, but I'd already planned on how I'd handle it. Polite, express that it is a right protected by state and federal consitutions, it's for self defense (because you never know when a crime against yourself would occur), and that I feel by having it openly carried it deters crime in my viscinity. If they continue to rant, I'd simply excuse myself from the conversation. Further ranting/following/harrassment would result in me making a call to the police to remove the person from my presence.

It's not hard to deal with people regarding OC. Be polite, friendly, open and honest, yet firm. Don't be afraid to take your business elsewhere if need be, there's few businesses these days who willingly throw money away, and when they do there's always competition who would welcome it. I recall a thread about a jewelry store who wouldn't let people OC. A number of folks on the forum emailed/contacted them, to get form letter type responses. Yet...surprise surprise, on the forum a gentleman who owns a competing jewelry store and supports the 2A joined and gave us his support, advising people to come to his establishment. As I recall, a number of people gave him business from that.

I'd recommend a retention holster of some sort as a precautionary measure, though situational awareness is even more important. Also, to get used to it, just OC a bit around your home and to places you're comfortable and visit on a regular basis. I'm sure you'll find that, while some people may express interest of one sort or another, once you're comfortable it's just another tool for the belt and not a big deal at all.

Welcome to the forum, Birdog23, hope you enjoy your stay. Idaho is a great place to live, and I can't wait till I'm able to move back there.

birdog23

imported post

thank you for the reply. i actually live in Garden Valley but work in boise. i would like to attend the picinic but am going jet boating. ill keep an eye out for the next one and be sure to attend. i guess im probably making more out of it in my head than i should and tomorrow while doing some shopping ill give it a try. im sure it's like you said it will become natural. thanks again for the response.

ecocks

imported post

Happy you dropped by the thread and welcome!

Drop in on the party, we'll scrape up a tamale or two and chat.

Bring something if you decide to drop by on Sunday.

Justlook at the list of what folks are bringing on the Picnic thread and find something we'll need, please!