Thread: NEWPORT loaded carry ban ordinance

Post imported post

The City of Newport has a loaded carry ban ordinance and we need to get it added to the stickied list of cities with firearms ordinances.

I posted the info in the stickied thread but wanted to make sure it hit the top of the "active" threads for all to be informed. Here's the info:

Official city web page: http://www.thecityofnewport.net/

Page from official site that links to the municipal code (from main page under the DEPARTMENTS tab click on ADMINISTRATION then in the left side bar click on FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS – The link to the muni code is in the first paragraph):

http://www.thecityofnewport.net/dept/adm/frequentlyaskedquestions.asp

This is the direct link to the PDF of the muni code:

http://www.thecityofnewport.net/dept/adm/documents/NewportMunicipalCode.pdf

The WEAPONS section is 8.20.005

BEGIN QUOTE FROM MUNI CODE

[size=8.20.005 Weapons ]

[size=A. Loaded firearms and other weapons prohibited. No person may carry a loaded firearm, spring or air-actuated gun or rifle, or any other weapon that propels a projective by use of gunpowder or other explosive, jet, or rocket propulsion in any place open to the public, except for: ]

[size=1. Law enforcement officers. ]

[size=2. Members of the military in performance of official duties. ]

[size=3. A][size= person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.]

[size=]

END QUOTE FROM MUNI CODE

[size=]

[size=NOTE: the code continues with other exceptions such as for game control but nothing that would apply to the purposes of self defense carry. It then ends with the “origination” info below:]

[size=]

[size=(Section 8.20.005 was amended by Ordinance No. 1960, adopted on August 4, 2008; effective September 3, 2008.)]

EDIT ADD: Not sure why the text gotchangedin the format.

"The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Good to know. Thanks,

Post imported post

yet another law that i am exempted from.... NICE!
    *Disclaimer~ I am not an attorney, i do not give legal advice. Any opinion stated here is in no way meant to insinuate, imply, compel or encourage that you should do anything that is illegal either knowingly or otherwise. My answers however valid may not be complete or applicable to your individual situation. I strongly recommend that you do your own research, make your own decisions and hire an attorney for legal advice ~

Post imported post

I am exempt as well but we should fight these ridiculous laws just as much as we should fight for any gun restrictions that we hold dear.

@ We The People
    Dude I love you, and not in a dude on dude way. Good job keeping us informed!

Post imported post

No problem HOSS. If you're ever down this way bring some extra ammo and we can do some target practice on my 50 yard range. If it's warm out bring beach attire as there's nothing better AFTER busting some caps than kicking back in the hot tub then hitting the beach for a few brewski's or vino's while discussing the finer points of ballistics, projectile construction, heck even the law.

I keep hoping that one of these days the BATF will show up after I've been bump firing, searching for the machine gun, only to find the "suspect(s)" soaking in the tub with not a chance in hell of finding any GSR.
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Post imported post

I might take you up on that. I'm going to a fireman's benefit golf tourny in Coos Bay this weekend and Down that way for the Shakespeare Fest at the end of the month. I'll bring my Ruger SR556 and my Yugo underfoler and of course my trusty glock.

Post imported post

Sounds like a plan!

Semper Fi
    Beretta92FSLady

Post imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
    I am exempt as well but we should fight these ridiculous laws just as much as we should fight for any gun restrictions that we hold dear.

hoss, please do not take my comments to imply complacency, i accept NO laws that infringe on ANY of my rights or yours.... my only purpose for my comment was levity and to point out the idiocy of our "leaders"
    *Disclaimer~ I am not an attorney, i do not give legal advice. Any opinion stated here is in no way meant to insinuate, imply, compel or encourage that you should do anything that is illegal either knowingly or otherwise. My answers however valid may not be complete or applicable to your individual situation. I strongly recommend that you do your own research, make your own decisions and hire an attorney for legal advice ~

Post imported post

Amen to that brother!

Post imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
    Amen to that brother!
    Semper Fly (former USAF here)

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Post imported post

I added to the "Ban List". Thank you for letting us know.