• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NEWPORT loaded carry ban ordinance

We-the-People

imported post

The City of Newport has a loaded carry ban ordinance and we need to get it added to the stickied list of cities with firearms ordinances.

I posted the info in the stickied thread but wanted to make sure it hit the top of the "active" threads for all to be informed. Here's the info:

Official city web page: http://www.thecityofnewport.net/

Page from official site that links to the municipal code (from main page under the DEPARTMENTS tab click on ADMINISTRATION then in the left side bar click on FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS – The link to the muni code is in the first paragraph):

http://www.thecityofnewport.net/dept/adm/frequentlyaskedquestions.asp

This is the direct link to the PDF of the muni code:

http://www.thecityofnewport.net/dept/adm/documents/NewportMunicipalCode.pdf

The WEAPONS section is 8.20.005

BEGIN QUOTE FROM MUNI CODE

[size=[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]8.20.005 Weapons [/font]]

[size=[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]A. Loaded firearms and other weapons prohibited. No person may carry a loaded firearm, spring or air-actuated gun or rifle, or any other weapon that propels a projective by use of gunpowder or other explosive, jet, or rocket propulsion in any place open to the public, except for: [/font]]

[size=[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]1. Law enforcement officers. [/font]]

[size=[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]2. Members of the military in performance of official duties. [/font]]

[size=3. A][size= person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.]

[size=[font="Times New Roman"][/font]]

END QUOTE FROM MUNI CODE

[size=[font="Times New Roman"]NOTE: the code continues with other exceptions such as for game control but nothing that would apply to the purposes of self defense carry. It then ends with the “origination” info below:[/font]]

[size=[font="Times New Roman"](Section 8.20.005 was amended by Ordinance No. 1960, adopted on August 4, 2008; effective September 3, 2008.)[/font]]

EDIT ADD: Not sure why the text gotchangedin the format.

TheHossUSMC

imported post

I am exempt as well but we should fight these ridiculous laws just as much as we should fight for any gun restrictions that we hold dear.

@ We The People
Dude I love you, and not in a dude on dude way. Good job keeping us informed!

We-the-People

imported post

No problem HOSS. If you're ever down this way bring some extra ammo and we can do some target practice on my 50 yard range. If it's warm out bring beach attire as there's nothing better AFTER busting some caps than kicking back in the hot tub then hitting the beach for a few brewski's or vino's while discussing the finer points of ballistics, projectile construction, heck even the law.

I keep hoping that one of these days the BATF will show up after I've been bump firing, searching for the machine gun, only to find the "suspect(s)" soaking in the tub with not a chance in hell of finding any GSR.

TheHossUSMC

imported post

I might take you up on that. I'm going to a fireman's benefit golf tourny in Coos Bay this weekend and Down that way for the Shakespeare Fest at the end of the month. I'll bring my Ruger SR556 and my Yugo underfoler and of course my trusty glock.

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

TheHossUSMC wrote:
I am exempt as well but we should fight these ridiculous laws just as much as we should fight for any gun restrictions that we hold dear.

hoss, please do not take my comments to imply complacency, i accept NO laws that infringe on ANY of my rights or yours.... my only purpose for my comment was levity and to point out the idiocy of our "leaders"