• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calgary CTV - Police chief says Candian long gun registry is "not helping"

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100426/CGY_gun_registry_100426/20100426/?hub=CalgaryHome- with video report

SNIP

But in Calgary, officers use the registry as an investigative tool and say it doesn't work when dealing with gangs and drug dealers.

Chief Hanson says the gun registry does nothing to reduce the level of violent crime and the use of guns by criminals on the street. He says it's not about politics, it's about safety.

"It's not helping. The guns these people have, they don't register, they don't care, they're probably stolen, they're probably obtained illegally, in many cases they're prohibited," commented Chief Hanson.

Chief Hanson wants tougher sentences when someone is convicted of using a weapon to commit a crime.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Obviously, Canada has the same disciplinary problem with it's criminal community as we do here in the US. Or is it a communications breakdown; the criminals just not getting the memos?

LCD

imported post

The problem up here is that criminals are not to be touched. Thanks to our empty heads, that we have warming their seats in Ottawa and thanks to most of the Chiefs of Police, the law abiding citizen should be sacrificed before defending him / herself.

Sure the registry doesn’t work!!! Keeping records of the law abiding citizens isn’t going to stall any crime. If a gun registered to some one gets stolen and used in more crime what does it matter if it is registered or not? There is no need for the registry!!!!!

The real aim of the registry is to have control over the legit gun owners and confiscate their guns.

ISRAEL

imported post

My home country is El Salvador, and the new goberment is trying to outlaw everything can be use as a weapon, guns, machetes ,long knives, etc like U.K. but the mara salvatrucha are well arm, some how they can get granades,few weeks ago the mara salvatrucha held a "parade" in San Salvador and the police was there to protec them, it is unbeliabable, what is goin on there, but now a chief of police is against the ban and we are hopping that the law never happen, this was an idea of somebody who came from England, I don't think that everybody is going to surrender their guns, we,ll see what happens there, I hope you can be as free as your national song says.

your vaquero friend Israel.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

Lo siento, mi amigo. It's not surprising that the government would protect MS, considering the amount of money they move through the underground economy. It's also no surprise that they would want to disarm the people. The best way to trample the rights of the people is to make sure you are better armed than they are. :X

Yo espero que estas a salvo, vaquero.

LCD

imported post

The politicians are insecure. But with that comes our lack of safety because citizens don’t usually have body guards or cops in the immediate vicinity. The current tactic in Canada is “divide and coroner”. We had two or 3 types of guns, that thanks to the registry the cops ordered the owners of those three types of guns to take them in for destruction. This is after they had been lawfully registered. Those mounted to a few hundered guns. It’s a shame that the law abiding individual gets the shaft.

ISRAEL

imported post

Muchas gracias Sr. McDonaldk, we are very safe here in Boise,Idaho, but my family lives there, and my nephews are always afraid to go anywere, my wife and I are thinking in moving back there after retirement,14 more months, .I can still buy a gun there but a lot of red tape, dr, will have to give you a note that you are not crazy, then if you want to keep the gun in your house you need a licence, if you want to keep inyour car another lic, and if you want to keep it with you another lic, 3 licences expensive!!!!!!. we are hopping that this goberment will be the last,, ( this is the idea of Sr Funes, the president, to keep the population safe,can you believe it, the m.s. are well arm)every body is not happy whith theleftist president, 3 more years to go, and can not be re-ellected.

El Salvador is a beautiful small country and the wheather is very nice, the beaches the best on the Pacific side, 2500 rivers , vocanoes, lakes and very friendly people and the citizens are asking for help, and is not comming unless the people start defending themselves. Gracias porcontestarme, su amigo vaquero Israel.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Living close to the border I had an interesting run in with a Canadian Police officer.

He couldn't believe I could carry like I do with out getting took down at gun point.

He was a nice guy though and seemed supportive of gun rights and seemed happy about the relaxation of this very topic on Canadian long gun regulation. I told him I hope it leads to more relaxation and gun rights for our northern neighbors and he didn't seem turned off by the idea.

I gave him our pamphlet for our state, and mentioned it might be good to petition Mike and John for a Canadian room. ;)Since we have a UK room it might be nice for Canadians to have a place to chat about trying to regain rights too. I talk to a lot of Canadians who wish they could have the same abilities we do here.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
I gave him our pamphlet for our state, and mentioned it might be good to petition Mike and John for a Canadian room. ;)
That's on John's list to do - I want to learn more about open carry rights in canada - my understanding is it may be legal in some provinces:cool:

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Mike wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
I gave him our pamphlet for our state, and mentioned it might be good to petition Mike and John for a Canadian room. ;)
That's on John's list to do - I want to learn more about open carry rights in canada - my understanding is it may be legal in some provinces:cool:

I haven't seen any Canadian law on it that would be great if it were, but the folks I talked with were under the impression that it is pretty much across the board, for the provinces. But of course most everyone I deal with are from B.C. so I just don't know.

One lady I did work for here, said her store was robbed and house broken into, and the laws about how the gun has to be locked up make it pretty much useless. Her words when robbed by armed thugs "what am I supposed to do hit 'em with my hockey stick?"