• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo is at the leesburg wallmart

W.E.G.

imported post

Why is it that folks here post about finding ammo at this place, or that, but they don't post the price they paid?

9mm ammo is all over the place, and I can buy it online for just a 1% premium over what I have to pay in sales tax if I could buy it at a retail store just in front of my house.

Regular_Joe

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
Why is it that folks here post about finding ammo at this place, or that, but they don't post the price they paid?

9mm ammo is all over the place, and I can buy it online for just a 1% premium over what I have to pay in sales tax if I could buy it at a retail store just in front of my house.
Walmart in Culpeper frequently offers Winchester 100rd 'White box' 9mm for $23. There is still the 5 box cap, but I'll buy 5 and then my wife will buy 5. We were able to collect nearly 2000rds shopping at Walmart over a couple of months as we prepped to attend a 2-day defensive handgun course. I found the same brand in bulk online for a few dollars cheaper, but once I added in the shipping cost, the price per round was more expensive than simply picking up a few boxes from Walmart on our regular visits.

Not sure about the price, but there appears to be several brands of .40 and .45. as well.

TFred

imported post

I assume that everyone knows about what the prices are at Walmart. For range-type ammo, I've never seen anyone even close, with the rare exceptions of Dicks buy-one-get-one-at-half-price coupons. I haven't seen any of those since before the last election.

TFred

Regular_Joe

imported post

TFred wrote:
I assume that everyone knows about what the prices are at Walmart. For range-type ammo, I've never seen anyone even close, with the rare exceptions of Dicks buy-one-get-one-at-half-price coupons. I haven't seen any of those since before the last election.

TFred
Be careful assuming! Being new to the gun community, I found out the hard way that my local range shops weren't the best place to shop for ammo. Also, the ammo stock has been so low over the last year that many of us new folks are still trying to figure out the best place to shop and best approach for trying out different ammo varieties.

Now I know to watch for target ammo at Walmart, but I still haven't found a good place to buy Speer Gold Dot.

With this community growing, helpful advice from our more experience brothers & sisters would be helpful.

Cheers!

W.E.G.

imported post

If I'm "new" to the gun community, this is the first I've heard of it.

Wal-Mart gives me the creeps, and I generally avoid even driving into the parking lot.
Maybe that makes me a snob. I didn't get the memo.

So no, I have no good idea what the prices are at Wal-Mart.

Last time I was there, they were peddling RWS brand at something like $16 a box.
Didn't inspire me to go back to check on it.

Online prices TODAY are at about 19.2 cents per round, delivered.

Are Wal-Mart prices better?

TFred

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
If I'm "new" to the gun community, this is the first I've heard of it.

Wal-Mart gives me the creeps, and I generally avoid even driving into the parking lot.
Maybe that makes me a snob. I didn't get the memo.

So no, I have no good idea what the prices are at Wal-Mart.

Last time I was there, they were peddling RWS brand at something like $16 a box.
Didn't inspire me to go back to check on it.

Depends on what caliber you're talking about! ;)

For any brand and caliber that I've seen at Walmart, I've never seen it anywhere else at a better price. Now I don't spend my life in search of ammo prices, but I'm just saying...

All I have been interested in thus far have been .38 Special, .38 Special +P, .357 Mag, .40, and .380, but I have not yet seen any .380 in any Walmart since before the election.

Because of another thread here, I did happen to note the price on a 250 count box of .45 Auto Remington UMC, which was about $85.

I don't buy 9mm, so even though my local Walmart has had that fairly well stocked lately, the price doesn't stick in my head.

TFred

25sierraman

imported post

I just picked up a bunch of that winchester white box 100 rd 9mm stuff. It works awesome. ive put probably about 2000 rds of it through my sig. Be careful though because they started stocking this steel core round that my local range wont allow. Its in the orange and black boxes. I'm on shift right now otherwise id post the exact brand. My buddy purchased like 300 rounds of this stuff only to find out he could not use it. Also if any of you guys are military Fort belvoir started selling firearms and ammunition in the home and garden building. They're usually close to or better than the walmart prices.

Regular_Joe

imported post

25sierraman wrote:
I just picked up a bunch of that winchester white box 100 rd 9mm stuff. It works awesome. ive put probably about 2000 rds of it through my sig. Be careful though because they started stocking this steel core round that my local range wont allow. Its in the orange and black boxes. I'm on shift right now otherwise id post the exact brand. My buddy purchased like 300 rounds of this stuff only to find out he could not use it. Also if any of you guys are military Fort belvoir started selling firearms and ammunition in the home and garden building. They're usually close to or better than the walmart prices.
SAT/COM, right? Figures that AAFES would start selling guns and ammo *after* my wife and I both exit the Army! I'll have to let my oldest son know, though, that he has to take us on a trip to Belvoir...

We just went through almost 2000 rds of the white box at a course - worked flawlessly. How do we tell if it the box contains steel? Or is it packaged differently in orange and black boxes? (Although, if so, that throws that whole "white box" nickname out the window!)

ETA: sorry - AAFES is Army & Air Force Exchange Service http://www.aafes.com

AbNo

imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
Walmart in Culpeper frequently offers Winchester 100rd 'White box' 9mm for $23. There is still the 5 box cap, but I'll buy 5 and then my wife will buy 5. We were able to collect nearly 2000rds shopping at Walmart over a couple of months as we prepped to attend a 2-day defensive handgun course. I found the same brand in bulk online for a few dollars cheaper, but once I added in the shipping cost, the price per round was more expensive than simply picking up a few boxes from Walmart on our regular visits.

Not sure about the price, but there appears to be several brands of .40 and .45. as well.
Just across the hill in Harrisonburg I've found plenty of ammo at both Wal-marts and the Rockingham Co-Op.

I haven't had any problems finding ammo for months. Is this still a problem for some?

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
Last time I was there, they were peddling RWS brand at something like $16 a box. Didn't inspire me to go back to check on it.

My local Wal-Mart has been stocking Federal 9 mm at $9.47 per 50, or 18.9 cents per round (before tax).

The coset I've seen to that online (reloadable brass case) is Speer at $11.19 per box (before shipping). http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=AMM-4361

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

25sierraman wrote:
Be careful though because they started stocking this steel core round that my local range wont allow. Its in the orange and black boxes.

My local Wal-Mart sells RWS 9mm FMJ at $16.97 per 50.

It comes in an orange & black box, and magnet will certainly pick up a round by the nose.

25sierraman

imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
25sierraman wrote:
SAT/COM, right? Figures that AAFES would start selling guns and ammo *after* my wife and I both exit the Army! I'll have to let my oldest son know, though, that he has to take us on a trip to Belvoir...

We just went through almost 2000 rds of the white box at a course - worked flawlessly. How do we tell if it the box contains steel? Or is it packaged differently in orange and black boxes? (Although, if so, that throws that whole "white box" nickname out the window!)

ETA: sorry - AAFES is Army & Air Force Exchange Service http://www.aafes.com
Yup SATCOM hooah. It's pretty boring.