• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Feds take the rights to bear arms away from my uncle!

hydrochloride

imported post

So my uncle in Utah goes in to a pawn shop and pawns a rifle for some cash. He ends up paying the rifle off and goes to pick it up and is told that he has to contact the ATF and is not allowed to pick up his rifle. He goes the the ATF and is told that he is unable to have weapons because he has a mental illness.
He has a liver problem and not a mental illness.
The part that kills me is that the ATF told him that he has no recourse and that there is nothing he can do to even try to contest their position.

Has anyone heard of this happening before...Are there any federal laws that can be cited?
I told him to go onto Utah OpenCarry and seek help or advice.

Just putting some feelers out there, thanks

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Wow, see if a Utah newspaper will do a story on it. Maybe that will straighten BATF out. (Don't forget the B)

Or call Dave Workman from SAF. He can do an article or might refer you guys to the proper channels.

Otherwise it's finding a pro-2A lawyer which I wouldn't think would be very hard in Utah.

Machoduck

imported post

The BATF didn't take his rights away, they threw a governmental impediment in his path. They made a mistake somewhere and are too cowardly to own up to it. If it were me, I would just buy a similar piece from a private seller and claim I had it for years, if they ever find out.

I always put the B in BATF because in was there when they shot Kenyon Ballew. I consider them a criminal organization. There was an attempt to disband them, years ago, according to Michael Reagan. Because they're government employees they couldn't just furloughed, but had to be absorbed into other agencies. None would take them.

MD

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Machoduck wrote:
The BATF didn't take his rights away, they threw a governmental impediment in his path. They made a mistake somewhere and are too cowardly to own up to it. If it were me, I would just buy a similar piece from a private seller and claim I had it for years, if they ever find out.

I always put the B in BATF because in was there when they shot Kenyon Ballew. I consider them a criminal organization. There was an attempt to disband them, years ago, according to Michael Reagan. Because they're government employees they couldn't just furloughed, but had to be absorbed into other agencies. None would take them.

MD
And why we need to de-unionize the government. Why can't we just fire them, lay them off? Frustrating.

Thundar

imported post

Machoduck wrote:

MD

When I call them I always ask for the Bay-Tiffie agent. Long y in there, you know Bayyyy-Tiffie

They no likee. Thats OK. Me no likee them anyways.

Thundar

imported post

hydrochloride wrote:
...He goes the the ATF and is told that he is unable to have weapons because he has a mental illness.
He has a liver problem and not a mental illness.
The part that kills me is that the ATF told him that he has no recourse and that there is nothing he can do to even try to contest their position...
So what does your Uncle think aboutObamaCare now?

Lammo

imported post

One of the best shirts I've ever seen reads: Alcohol Tobacco Firearms ... should be a convenience store not a government agency.

samaloney2006

imported post

:celebrateI realize that this is a little off topic from Open Carry but I could not help but pass it along. Chuckle for the day. A few years ago my wife and I were traveling through Colorado towards Boulder where my brother and his family live. We stopped for a rest in a town calledBailey. As we drove around a little in Bailey I saw this small clapboard store and when I saw the sign I pointed it out ot my wifr and said "OMG"I have found home. Even she laughed.

The sign sat above the dilapidated roof that was above the dilapidated porch and steps. A real red neck place.

Bailey Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives. You gotta love those red necks!!

samaloney2006

imported post

Great picture. That's the store. I remember it as fairly run down. Maybe it was remodeled or is it just me. But the sign I remember had the name Bailey on it. Love it.

jbone

imported post

Did he make Holders List?

"Attorney General Holder revealed his support for a national gun owner registration scheme and authorizing the government to ban firearm possession for any person by merely adding that person's name to the terror watch list.

Drawing reasonable conclusions from what Holder publicly said, we now know:

• Holder wants a national, permanent gun registration system administered by law enforcement. A registration of honest citizens that have cleared the federal background check for gun purchases with those records permanently retained by and shared among law enforcement.
• Holder wants new federal authority to prohibit any person on the federal watch list (reported to be 400,000 names) from buying guns and supports confiscating guns from those on the list who possess them."

killchain

imported post

jbone wrote:
Did he make Holders List?

"Attorney General Holder revealed his support for a national gun owner registration scheme and authorizing the government to ban firearm possession for any person by merely adding that person's name to the terror watch list.

Drawing reasonable conclusions from what Holder publicly said, we now know:

• Holder wants a national, permanent gun registration system administered by law enforcement. A registration of honest citizens that have cleared the federal background check for gun purchases with those records permanently retained by and shared among law enforcement.
• Holder wants new federal authority to prohibit any person on the federal watch list (reported to be 400,000 names) from buying guns and supports confiscating guns from those on the list who possess them."

Interesting fact: Hitler pulled the firearms registrations from Polish authorities to target Jews that had firearms first.

GODWIN GO

Glock17

imported post

No legal advice to give! Just my thoughts and beliefs. 2A IS NOT A PRIVILEGE! Just my opinion on the issue. Cheers