• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rock Island 1911 opinions?

mrsjero1987

imported post

I have been looking at getting a bigger gun (rather than my .380) and I recently shot a friend's 1911 and LOVED it. Seriously who needs a smaller gun?! Anyways I was googling and found Rock Island 1911's that are really economical, and everything that I've read about them had favorable reviews. I wanted to know if anyone here had used them/ had any advice about them.

cscitney87

imported post

Never touched or shot one. Just was at my local gun shop and out of all the 1911s carried; the Rock Island was the cheapest. In the 500 dollar range. Personally I thought it looked nice. Maybe not as shiny of a finish as the rest; could have just been the specific piece I was viewing.

groovedrummer

imported post

mrsjero1987 wrote:
I have been looking at getting a bigger gun (rather than my .380) and I recently shot a friend's 1911 and LOVED it. Seriously who needs a smaller gun?! Anyways I was googling and found Rock Island 1911's that are really economical, and everything that I've read about them had favorable reviews. I wanted to know if anyone here had used them/ had any advice about them.
I got one!!!

colt5.jpg

its just a great option.

I have a more GI style one cause thats just what im into, but if you like all the more modern bells and whistles on 1911s they also have some great really high value options for you.

the steel is pretty good.

It made in the Philippines...but honestly, that doesn't really matter (and dont tell anyone I said that) lol

the fit is good enough.

the out of box trigger is ok.

its surprisingly accurate.

its chock full of MIM parts but ive never had a problem with MIM so its not really an issue for me.

(after saying that I must add that after a lot of research about MIM, im to the point that ive personally never had a problem with em but to be safe my carry gun is a colt with NO mim parts)

if MIM is an issue for you... its not a big deal and still pretty affordable to buy some Wilson value line forged parts and have them installed by a good gun smith.

Ive never had a problems with it...ever... not one..

if your really into 1911s and on a budget, its the best option out there.

you'll like it alot.

vegasche1023

imported post

I had the base model(paid $400), put 500 rounds through it no problem. THe only down side(might be just base model), was that parts weren't very interchangeable. If you google it you'll see very positive reviews on almost every website. just remember you get what you paid for!!

groovedrummer

imported post

vegasche1023 wrote:
I had the base model(paid $400), put 500 rounds through it no problem. THe only down side(might be just base model), was that parts weren't very interchangeable. If you google it you'll see very positive reviews on almost every website. just remember you get what you paid for!!
what do you mean by "parts weren't very interchangeable."???

Rock island 1911s will accept all standard 1911 pattern parts with the proper gunsmithing.

because of the tolerances in 1911s there is pretty much no such thing as "drop in parts" no matter the manufacturer.

company's that make aftermarket parts for 1911 purposefully make them with extra material on almost all contacted points so that a gun smith has enough material to work with for a well fit part.

This is not a rock island flaw.

groovedrummer

imported post

vegasche1023 wrote:
My apologies, this was my first 1911 and didnt know that the parts needed to be installed by gunsmith on all 1911s.
sorry dude,

I was ABSOLUTELY NOT trying to attack you, its not really ultra common knowledge.

I do not doubt that you had problems dropping in parts..now you know why. :)

I was just letting the OP know that the rock island 1911 is in fact a gold ol 1911 and parts can be changed if he would like to go to forged parts.

CarryOpen

imported post

I think the RIAs are very nice guns. You can get the tactical version with upgraded sights for around $400. The next "budget" 1911 I'd consider would be a Springer.

groovedrummer

imported post

CarryOpen wrote:
I think the RIAs are very nice guns. You can get the tactical version with upgraded sights for around $400. The next "budget" 1911 I'd consider would be a Springer.

AGREED!!!! The Springfield GI and mil-spec are also GREAT 1911 options...with the springer GI, milspec and the rock island armory models you get A LOT more gun than the price tag would lead you to believe.

groovedrummer

imported post

mrsjero1987 wrote:
Actually...I think where starting off on the wrong foot here...what do you like on 1911s?

what style of....

hammer

grip safety

sights

ejection port style

trigger

mainspring housing

guide rod

thumb safety

firing pin safety or no

slide serrations

magwell

ext ext ext

do you prefer

the 1911 of today is SOOOO customizable

tell me what features you like...

ask some questions...

give me a price range and well find you the PERFECT first 1911 for ya

mrsjero1987

imported post

haha honestly, the main draw was that his (taurus I think) was easy to hold accurately and aim well :0). I'm still new to shooting, only been shooting the past couple of years. So I just want something bigger than the .380 we're looking into an Ruger LCR for everyday carry. So this would probably just be to shoot, or to open carry when I feel like making a statement. I also want the .45 1911 because they are classic and we don't have anything in that caliber yet.

Specifically the favorite RIA that I've found so far is the two tone tactical 5". It is pretty...I'm glad I can pick one just because it is pretty. Ummm particularly I'm not looking for anything in specific. If the grips look as uncomfortable I'm sure I'll replace them. I really just want a gun that I can have fun practicing shooting. (Even though I realize .45 isn't the cheapest ammo). I can deal with it being plain, its high time one of my guns had pink accents.

What is really terrible is that a few months ago I had no idea what a 1911 was or why they were so special...went to a range nearby that also sells guns and they were selling a S&W 1911 for 680..I had NO idea the value at the time so I had to play the wife card because we were saving up for the AR upper...now that I want a 1911 the husband and his friends think its ironic.

groovedrummer

imported post

mrsjero1987 wrote:
haha honestly, the main draw was that his (taurus I think) was easy to hold accurately and aim well :0). I'm still new to shooting, only been shooting the past couple of years. So I just want something bigger than the .380 we're looking into an Ruger LCR for everyday carry. So this would probably just be to shoot, or to open carry when I feel like making a statement. I also want the .45 1911 because they are classic and we don't have anything in that caliber yet.

Specifically the favorite RIA that I've found so far is the two tone tactical 5". It is pretty...I'm glad I can pick one just because it is pretty. Ummm particularly I'm not looking for anything in specific. If the grips look as uncomfortable I'm sure I'll replace them. I really just want a gun that I can have fun practicing shooting. (Even though I realize .45 isn't the cheapest ammo). I can deal with it being plain, its high time one of my guns had pink accents.

What is really terrible is that a few months ago I had no idea what a 1911 was or why they were so special...went to a range nearby that also sells guns and they were selling a S&W 1911 for 680..I had NO idea the value at the time so I had to play the wife card because we were saving up for the AR upper...now that I want a 1911 the husband and his friends think its ironic.

well that 2 tone RIA sounds like the 1911 for you.

when you get it, POST PICS!

:)

Overtaxed

imported post

I posted a question on another highly popular gun forum, asking for suggestions on an inexpensive compact 1911.

A lot of folks responded glowingly about Rock Island's pistols.

c45man

imported post

I own the Rock Island full size tactical model. Great firearm, accurate, dependable, durable and very reasonably priced. Only shorcoming is the finish of their parkerized models which are the majority made. The finish is thin and is not durable in that it scratches very easily. I had a Gun-Kote finish put on mine.

If anyone owns the nickel finish with the parkerized controls, I would be curious regarding the durability of the nickel. It is very difficult to refinish over any surface that has been electroplated which of course is the process used for a true nickel finish.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mrsjero1987 wrote:
Glad to hear you got one. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE mine. Shot a great group straight out of the box, fit and comfort are second to none.

mrsjero1987

imported post

I probably won't be able to get one for a little while, but I figured that I would go ahead and get opinions :0).

Where have you purchased yours?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mrsjero1987 wrote:
I probably won't be able to get one for a little while, but I figured that I would go ahead and get opinions :0).

Where have you purchased yours?
Ah, I misread the above.

I bought mine at the Chantilly gun show a couple of years ago, and walked out the door for $400. I was looking at them for about $495 this past weekend.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Maybe not as shiny of a finish as the rest; could have just been the specific piece I was viewing.
That's because the finish is parkerization rather than blueing, which I prefer anyway.

As far as parts go, the 1911 is not a pattern of gun where there is such a thing as "drop-in" anything.

However, my RIA Tactical was built completely in-spec, and I had a easy time replacing the internals with custom parts, hand-fitted by yours truly.

I highly recommend Armscor pistols.

Gunslinger

imported post

In 1911s probably more than any other style of pistol, you get what you pay for. If you want an inexpensive version, RIA, Daley, Taurus P-1911, up to the GI Springfield, you get a pistol with loose tolerances that because of that will be inaccurate but reliable. As you go up in price, more expensive SAs, Smith, Para, Kimber, SIG GSR (what I own) to the custom Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk, Brown, etc., you get accuracy--sometimes remarkable. For personal defense, at tactical handgun range, I think the RIA is fine. But keep in mind, for about the same money, you can get several much more accurate 9MMs. If your heart is set on a .45ACP 1911, go for whatever your budget allows. But there are other .45ACPS (not 1911s) that are better guns for the same money, as well as 9mms. Look at the Taurus 24/7 OSS for around $500. Gives you the big cartridge, hi-cap mags, and solid build with good accuracy. Plus, easy to shoot and good looks. I do prefer the 1911 to anything but my Hi-Power, but wouldn't go low-end. Just my 2 cents, and 40 years of shooting handguns...