• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rock Island 1911 opinions?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
In 1911s probably more than any other style of pistol, you get what you pay for. If you want an inexpensive version, RIA, Daley, Taurus P-1911, up to the GI Springfield, you get a pistol with loose tolerances that because of that will be inaccurate but reliable. As you go up in price, more expensive SAs, Smith, Para, Kimber, SIG GSR (what I own) to the custom Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk, Brown, etc., you get accuracy--sometimes remarkable. For personal defense, at tactical handgun range, I think the RIA is fine. But keep in mind, for about the same money, you can get several much more accurate 9MMs. If your heart is set on a .45ACP 1911, go for whatever your budget allows. But there are other .45ACPS (not 1911s) that are better guns for the same money, as well as 9mms. Look at the Taurus 24/7 OSS for around $500. Gives you the big cartridge, hi-cap mags, and solid build with good accuracy. Plus, easy to shoot and good looks. I do prefer the 1911 to anything but my Hi-Power, but wouldn't go low-end. Just my 2 cents, and 40 years of shooting handguns...
My RIA Tactical came extremely tight from the factory.

It took a break-in of 500 rounds to "rattle" just a little like a good combat 1911 should.

I really don't think your description of RIAs as "low-end" is remotely accurate, nor do I agree that two, or even a single, 9mm can be had at a lower price which is of comparable quality.

Armscor guns are much better built than any Taurus guns.

No offense, but I get the impression that your 40+ years of gun experience doesn't include an exceptionally large amount of trigger-time behind a newer RIA Tactical.

They certainly aren't Ed Brown or Wilson Combat, but they aren't "low-end" either.

Also, the RIA Tactical is quite accurate for a combat 1911.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
In 1911s probably more than any other style of pistol, you get what you pay for. If you want an inexpensive version, RIA, Daley, Taurus P-1911, up to the GI Springfield, you get a pistol with loose tolerances that because of that will be inaccurate but reliable. As you go up in price, more expensive SAs, Smith, Para, Kimber, SIG GSR (what I own) to the custom Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk, Brown, etc., you get accuracy--sometimes remarkable. For personal defense, at tactical handgun range, I think the RIA is fine. But keep in mind, for about the same money, you can get several much more accurate 9MMs. If your heart is set on a .45ACP 1911, go for whatever your budget allows. But there are other .45ACPS (not 1911s) that are better guns for the same money, as well as 9mms. Look at the Taurus 24/7 OSS for around $500. Gives you the big cartridge, hi-cap mags, and solid build with good accuracy. Plus, easy to shoot and good looks. I do prefer the 1911 to anything but my Hi-Power, but wouldn't go low-end. Just my 2 cents, and 40 years of shooting handguns...
Damn, if my RIA were *more* accurate, I could make a great living in target or trick shooting.

I realize you're speaking in generalities, unless you have thousands of rounds shot through each of these in your 40 years? I was flabbergasted at how well the RIA shot, and the accuracy and grouping I got right out of the box.

Guess everyone's mileage varies.

ryanburbridge

imported post

I have a rock island and I love it. I wanted a 1911 that I could mess with without using white gloves. The first day I took it apart down to the last piece. Needed YouTube to put it back together lol. The only complaint I may have is the sights are a little on the low end side. Runs smooth. One malfunction so far a failure to extract because the reloaded brass swelled and stuck in the barrel. I do not care for the ambi safety looking to change it out. The stock wood grips are crap. IMO. I swaped them for some hoge green rubber grips. My avitar shows me in Sacramento with my RI 1911 and serpa holster. Good gun.

groovedrummer

imported post

Tess wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
Damn, if my RIA were *more* accurate, I could make a great living in target or trick shooting.

I realize you're speaking in generalities, unless you have thousands of rounds shot through each of these in your 40 years? I was flabbergasted at how well the RIA shot, and the accuracy and grouping I got right out of the box.

I have a feeling that you watch tnp videos... :)

but I must also agree with those RIA owners above, It shoots the way its supposed to...the fit is fine.

Even the old mass produced military GI 1911s, by design, are already 10 times more accurate than they need to be as a self defense pistol..if you cant hit things really effectively with a standard fit 1911...its not the gun...its you.

mrsjero1987

imported post

I am sooo excited by all of these reviews. I am hoping sometime to find a gun store, or maybe visiting a gun show to get the 'feel' for one.

Also, I had read different things about the chain breaking after 3,500 rounds. Has anyone experienced this?

groovedrummer

imported post

marshaul wrote:
No chain in a 1911.

Some parts need to be replaced around that interval, like the firing pin spring (recommend at 5000 rounds).
I honestly don't think she actually meant to type chain.

I do it some times, where ill be thinking of one thing a type another.....

honest mistake.

hahaha even the other day I was trying to type

"well do what you gotta do"

and I actually typed

"well do is the gotta do"

my mind was wandering lol

mrsjero1987

imported post

haha totally meant retention spring. I was reading reviews a few weeks ago and did a weird word association: link -> chain. Sorry about that.

There were a few reviews saying that it wasn't the best quality and that it needed replacing after only 3,500 rounds.

Gunslinger

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
My RIA Tactical came extremely tight from the factory.

It took a break-in of 500 rounds to "rattle" just a little like a good combat 1911 should.

I really don't think your description of RIAs as "low-end" is remotely accurate, nor do I agree that two, or even a single, 9mm can be had at a lower price which is of comparable quality.

Armscor guns are much better built than any Taurus guns.

No offense, but I get the impression that your 40+ years of gun experience doesn't include an exceptionally large amount of trigger-time behind a newer RIA Tactical.

They certainly aren't Ed Brown or Wilson Combat, but they aren't "low-end" either.

Also, the RIA Tactical is quite accurate for a combat 1911.
"Low end" referrs to the price scale, and RIAs certainly qualify. I've shot Daleys--made in the same factory in the PI. NAA offers better .45s and hi-cap 9mms for the same money. You can get a CZ for about the same money, and it is one of the best manufactured pistols in the world. Same with a Ruger SR-9. They aren't 1911s, as I said, so if having a 1911 is paramount, it's a moot point. I would take a Taurus 24/7 OSS to any PI made gun, and a Taurus revolver matches up with Smiths that cost a whole lot more. My guns are hi-end, SIG, Browning Hi-Power, Smith for the most part, but I have both a 24/7 OSS and M-85--plus a Firestorm (Bersa) Mini-9. That being said, I've shot everything from a C9 Hi=Point to a Brown custom. I'm not a snob when it comes to what works in hand guns, and I'm not knocking the RIA for what you get. It's good value for the bucks, but not the best choice for the money, imo.

Gunslinger

imported post

Tess wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:

I just shot a nib C9 Hi-Point that was right to point of aim. But it doesn't match my 69C Browning Hi-Power. My point is/was as price goes up, so does accuracy in general. And I've shot many thousand rounds through probably 50 different guns, some good, some not so good. You're right, I'm speaking in general--albeit logical, terms and your mileage will vary. I just ordered a Doublestar M-4--price was a factor, and so was the great writeups on it. If you have a great shooting RIA, congratulations, but give some credit to your own skills with it. Have you ever shot a custom 1911? It would take about two rounds to see the difference money buys.

Gunslinger

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by "retention spring". Perhaps you mean the recoil spring?
Probably, and they should be replaced in any Browning designed pistol by then, no matter what it costs. In Commander length or shorter, I'd go 2500 max.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The parts are manufactured in the same facility, but the pistols are finished and assembled in different places. RIA has their own shop, and their final product is generally considered to be of a decidedly better quality than Charles Daly 1911s.

The 1911 pattern gets points not just because some folks want 1911s, but because ANY well-made 1911 is one of the best combat handguns ever devised.

I can't agree that there are better options for the price point. Unless you specifically DON'T want a 1911 for some reason.

As for Taurus, the PT1911 has a forged frame (instead of cast), but it also has a fugly painted billboard on the side, and I remain unconvinced that it is worth the extra cash considering the quality of modern castings.

Also, while both guns are well-received as an excellent bargain, my impression from browsing many a forum is to a slightly higher level of satisfaction with the RIAs.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with stuff manufactured in the Philippines. I would suggest that the Daly you handled isn't going to reveal much about the quality of a newer RIA Tactical. They just keep getting better and better, and they've been considered equal to or better than Dalys since they first hit the market.

Don't get me wrong, I know exactly what you're getting at. I just don't think it's accurate to characterize an RIA as "inaccurate" simply because it has a "low-end" price point.

It won't be as accurate as a fine custom 1911, but then neither will a Springfield GI. The question is, is the RIA as accurate as the Springfield GI, for significantly less money? And the answer is yes.

No matter what you have, there is always something "better". The question should be, is what I have sufficient to the task for which it is intended?

And the answer is that, for both defensive and target shooting, a RIA 1911 is going to just as sufficient to both of those ends as any other similarly-priced pistol, and many which cost a good deal more.

I really don't know what I would do with more accuracy, or why I would need it.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
marshaul wrote:
Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by "retention spring". Perhaps you mean the recoil spring?
Probably, and they should be replaced in any Browning designed pistol by then, no matter what it costs. In Commander length or shorter, I'd go 2500 max.
Quite right.

mrsjero1987

imported post

Okay, so really in any 1911 one is going to want to replace the recoil spring at that time? That is good to know. I would expect most gun parts to wear considering the process of the mechanisms.

I actually found out to that I was confused, I shot my friends Springfield which I believe he has a simple GI issue, the other friend has the taurus.

I really do want a 1911 just because we don't own anything in that caliber...and its a 1911. I shot this one I think twice and loved it.

This reviews are sooo helpful. I am probably going to talk to some of the local gun shops to see if they can order one.

With the RIA 1911 does it work well with standard 1911 holsters. I know some holster manufacturers won't necessarily list Armscor, so is there a brand it is most similar to in those situations?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

mrsjero1987 wrote:
With the RIA 1911 does it work well with standard 1911 holsters. I know some holster manufacturers won't necessarily list Armscor, so is there a brand it is most similar to in those situations?
Sure, as long as the frame is built to the original spec, any 1911 should work in any 1911 holster.

In the case of RIA guns, they are standard 1911s. Any holster is fine. :)

groovedrummer

imported post

marshaul wrote:
The parts are manufactured in the same facility, but the pistols are finished and assembled in different places. RIA has their own shop, and their final product is generally considered to be of a decidedly better quality than Charles Daly 1911s.

The 1911 pattern gets points not just because some folks want 1911s, but because ANY well-made 1911 is one of the best combat handguns ever devised.

I can't agree that there are better options for the price point. Unless you specifically DON'T want a 1911 for some reason.

As for Taurus, the PT1911 has a forged frame (instead of cast), but it also has a fugly painted billboard on the side, and I remain unconvinced that it is worth the extra cash considering the quality of modern castings.

Also, while both guns are well-received as an excellent bargain, my impression from browsing many a forum is to a slightly higher level of satisfaction with the RIAs.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with stuff manufactured in the Philippines. I would suggest that the Daly you handled isn't going to reveal much about the quality of a newer RIA Tactical. They just keep getting better and better, and they've been considered equal to or better than Dalys since they first hit the market.

Don't get me wrong, I know exactly what you're getting at. I just don't think it's accurate to characterize an RIA as "inaccurate" simply because it has a "low-end" price point.

It won't be as accurate as a fine custom 1911, but then neither will a Springfield GI. The question is, is the RIA as accurate as the Springfield GI, for significantly less money? And the answer is yes.

No matter what you have, there is always something "better". The question should be, is what I have sufficient to the task for which it is intended?

And the answer is that, for both defensive and target shooting, a RIA 1911 is going to just as sufficient to both of those ends as any other similarly-priced pistol, and many which cost a good deal more.

I really don't know what I would do with more accuracy, or why I would need it.

+1000

Erus

imported post

Just to reiterate, (and not to bash anyone with a differing opinion) my RIA 1911 is just what it should be. A more than accurate, reliable, and nice looking 1911. It goes bang every time I tell it to, with whatever I feed it, has the same fit and finish (in it's "generic" form) as all the other "good brands" of what many regard to be the finest combat handgun ever designed. I don't have a lot of experience with super spendy 1911's.. but then I personally don't have any need for any.

My pistol is for self defense, not trophy hunting at either the tack driver or bells and whistles competition. For my money, the RIA 1911 is just the right tool for the job I need it to do... of course anyone's mileage may vary.. but it can't be beat for the "low end" use I bought it for. :)