• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Will our 51st state reciprocate?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Someone *should* sue Puerto Rico for their violation of the 2nd amendment. Their laws are as draconian if not more draconian than New York City's. Regardless, the 2nd amendment, and when they become a state (note I said not if, but when), they'll have the 14th amendment apply to them too.

-Gray

Nebulis01

imported post

Gray Peterson wrote:
... when they become a state (note I said not if, but when)...
you really believe it will happen this time? It's been up for a vote what 3 times in the last 40 years and they haven't had a majority in favor of statehood.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Nebulis01 wrote:
Gray Peterson wrote:
you really believe it will happen this time? It's been up for a vote what 3 times in the last 40 years and they haven't had a majority in favor of statehood.
It will eventually happen, whether in the next few years or in the next century.

killchain

imported post

Gray Peterson wrote:
Nebulis01 wrote:
Gray Peterson wrote:
It will eventually happen, whether in the next few years or in the next century.
I doubt it. They've been trying for 40 years.

DEROS72

imported post

I don't get why we even would want Peurto Rico as a state.Besides it would just screw up the flag with one more star.

heresolong

imported post

Vote generally fails in PR also. If they become a state they lose all the federal aid that we send their way as a territory.

amzbrady

imported post

I just wonder, in the past 40 years, how many times have the public of the US voted to have them join us, and how many times have they voted on whether they want to join us? Maybe thats why they have let so many Mexicans in, to get us prepared for spanish as our second language, now they are done they are sending them home to make room for the Ricans. I think if I had to choose, I'd rather have the Mexicans. But I dont want to choose. Close the borders and stop both. If they want in, do it legally.

oneeyeross

imported post

A few things to remember:

Puerto Ricans ARE US citizens.
Puerto Rico is a part of the US, and has been since the Spanish American War.

I have served with many Peurto Ricans, and other Hispanics, during my years in service, and have found that they have served with honor and pride - in fact, I'd have to say that they did far better than their Anglo brothers in arms.

Further, I would hope that disparaging remarks about a particular ethnic group is NOT what this group is about....

R. Fain
SSG, USA, (Ret)

Squeak

imported post

It's all politics. Obama needs 7 more states so he can say,'see, I told you there were 57 states.':celebrate

Lammo

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Vote generally fails in PR also. If they become a state they lose all the federal aid that we send their way as a territory.
More importantly, they would have to start paying federal income taxes - - currently Ithink they are mostly exempt. That alone will stop them from voting for it.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Lammo wrote:
heresolong wrote:
More importantly, they would have to start paying federal income taxes - - currently Ithink they are mostly exempt. That alone will stop them from voting for it.

Lets not forget the 1/2 of people in U.S already don't pay income tax. The majority of Puerto Rico would also fall under this catagory. :(So I think federal aid would just get funneled but under another guise.

Deros wrote:
I don't get why we even would want Peurto Rico as a state.Besides it would just screw up the flag with one more star.

Like before Hawaii or Alaska was on the flag? :lol:

heresolong

imported post

Just read an interesting analysis which suggested that the Democrats pushed through the vote (which there is no disputing that they did) in order to try to get 6 more reliably Democrat congressmen and two more reliably Dem senators at a time when they are facing probable massive losses in the 2010 elections.

twest17

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
Squeak wrote:
It's all politics. Obama needs 7 more states so he can say,'see, I told you there were 57 states.':celebrate

Did he actually say that somewhere?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

oneeyeross wrote:
A few things to remember:

Puerto Ricans ARE US citizens.
Puerto Rico is a part of the US, and has been since the Spanish American War.
Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens by act of Congress, not by birth. What Congress grants, congress can take away.

Puerto Rico is a Territory of the U.S., essentially a Colony. The U.S. Constitution applies to it, again, by act of Congress.