• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in Mass??

imported post

Who is currently open carrying in Massachusetts?

I am not convinced that a single person does, or even that its legal. I've lived here my whole life and never seen someone open carry.

I would love to hear from anyone and everyone who open carries in MA. Would you please be so kind as to reply to this thread?

Rattrapper

imported post

When I lived in THAT STATE and prior to the 1998 JACQUES GUN LAW signed by WELD I open carried all the time. Then the law changed and we were told no more OC, found to be not so, But we were also told as it was may issue the COP could and most likely would pull our permit. So after that it was CC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I open carry everyday for work. Cops just smile and wave.

Presume you have a class A permit and enjoy friendly constabulary.

You do realize you are very nearly the 1st to respond in a positive way since this thread was started a year ago, right. Obviously, you are one of a few.

snatale42

Who is currently open carrying in Massachusetts?

I am not convinced that a single person does, or even that its legal. I've lived here my whole life and never seen someone open carry.

I would love to hear from anyone and everyone who open carries in MA. Would you please be so kind as to reply to this thread?

Yes. With a Class A LTC it's completely legal, but as you know your rights are only what the cop in front of you decides to give you. If you were in uniform (security) or dressed nicely (Nice pants, button down or polo). I doubt anybody including the police would say anything. Dressed normal like in jeans/boots etc. Ya your gonna attract attention most likely the cops, and no theres nothing they can do LEGALLY to pull your permit for it, but might do it anyways and the expense to fight it would be up to you. It's BS but until people exercise there OC right, get yelled at by the cops, go to court and win nothing will change. People NEED to start holding OC events. BBQ's dinners in restaurants etc. Get the permits, Notify restaurants in advance. People would be suprised!

snatale42

I do have a class A. But like I said, my job requires a firearm. And no, I'm not a cop.

Plus, you gotta admit Western Mass isn't as communist as Eastern MA. When It comes to guns. Might as well not be the same state! I like it out there.

Greene36

People NEED to start holding OC events. BBQ's dinners in restaurants etc. Get the permits, Notify restaurants in advance. People would be suprised!

How would any of us go about starting something like this? Obviously we would have to do something good for the state/city..

DON`T TREAD ON ME

How would any of us go about starting something like this? Obviously we would have to do something good for the state/city..

I know that you will want to take steps, but if you are in your rights, save the litter pick ups for the "challenges" they do come up. We in the gold star State of Nevada Had to fight and scrap to be able to open carry on our STRIP... there are some good threads in our forum and we had eventual success with minimal Pain.

oniriggers

Just remember not everyone can CC,,,everywhere.. some LTC Class A holders are restricted to certain things like Job, Hunting/Target or sports...so having an Open Carry function somewhere other then at a range would be out of the question for these people......well they could go but not bring their firearms

edinmass

Open carry in western mass

I open carry in my hometown with no questions asked from local police. I don't think I would try it other towns as I am sure there would be a hassle. Ed

Phinneus

Class A Permit holder

Considering that most Mass police officers are not completely familiar with all of the firearms laws in the state, and that open carry is rare, I choose to not carry openly to avoid hassles that will NEVER end in my favor. Should the average Mass citizen observe a handgun being OC, they would STB and call in the SWAT team. The fact that MA has a law that gives the ultimate power and authority to the local Police Chief to issue and revoke permits, I try to stay under the radar. Maine has an OC law that requires no permit and when in Maine I still carry concealed with the proper permit.

I ALWAYS carry, and strive to keep whichever handgun I have concealed. WHEN CARRYING I AM NOT TRYING TO SEND A MESSAGE. My intent is to be ready for any emergency that may require lethal response. Those that desire to OC should have that right, but must be aware of the possible ramifications.
Clarification and education of the police community in MA should happen and be ongoing!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Considering that most Mass police officers are not completely familiar with all of the firearms laws in the state, and that open carry is rare, I choose to not carry openly to avoid hassles that will NEVER end in my favor. Should the average Mass citizen observe a handgun being OC, they would STB and call in the SWAT team. The fact that MA has a law that gives the ultimate power and authority to the local Police Chief to issue and revoke permits, I try to stay under the radar. Maine has an OC law that requires no permit and when in Maine I still carry concealed with the proper permit.

I ALWAYS carry, and strive to keep whichever handgun I have concealed. WHEN CARRYING I AM NOT TRYING TO SEND A MESSAGE. My intent is to be ready for any emergency that may require lethal response. Those that desire to OC should have that right, but must be aware of the possible ramifications.
Clarification and education of the police community in MA should happen and be ongoing!

Keep in mind the OCDO premise of "A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost."

snatale42

Sorry it's late but for whatever reason I didn't get subscribed to the thread, when it comes to MA just having a BBQ or something with people OC'ing would be a start in the right direction because in the end NOBODY WOULD DIE!!, tip off a local paper or something. You'll want it in the papers and news (which won't be hard there) Since it IS legal when on private property (at first) the cops may show, give em' a burger! Shoot the $hit with them (ya ya no pun intended) Keep the events in Western MA at first and SLOWLY move them East. Here in VA there's a lot of OC lunches and dinners.Which seem to work good. But again this isn't commie MA. Somebody will know somebody at a restaurant that would be cool with it. Once it's in peoples faces that is IS legal to carry openly the door starts to open. I would also suggest dressing business casual, Polo's Khakis etc. nothing fancy but look like descent people. Some people here will comment that thats BS and shouldn't make a difference but MA is VERY different than most places.....You know the way it go's there. Anybody that knows a cop should invite them to deal with the pissed off staties when they show. It's all very doo-able with planning. Living here in VA I've got a TON of idea from how they do stuff here, they really have there crap together, I wish GOAL would push this stuff more. I get very worried when I think how I'll eventually be moving back to MA and what I'll most likely have to sacrifice.

Last edited:

snatale42

Considering that most Mass police officers are not completely familiar with all of the firearms laws in the state, and that open carry is rare, I choose to not carry openly to avoid hassles that will NEVER end in my favor.

Being from Boston I get ya, but remember what you just said is a perfect example of "A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost." Nobody wants to loose their LTC but there HAS to be pushback. It just needs to be organized and done right. Even here in VA although in the country people OC all the time, I live in Richmond and people EVEN HERE look at you cross eyed when you do sometimes. So I OC about half the time. I know how bad it WILL get if nobody does thanks to growing up in MA so I will try to be one of the guys doing something about it. The plus for NOW is if somebody called 911 and said "There's a guy with a gun on his hip" they'd say....AND? But to keep it that way. People NEED to exercise the right they have while they still have it! Sadly, the RIGHT to carry WILL be removed in MA if people don't start fighting to preserve it, It's only a question of when.

Last edited:

Irish_Dave

I have recently (last couple of months) started OCing in MA but only in the town I live in. Local grocery store, convenience stores, and a family restaurant I am somewhat of a regular at. So far no horror stories to post just a couple of double takes from the public. No encounters with LEO other than the ones that I know from the rod & gun club and they didn't seem to care that I was OCing. I'm really starting to believe that an OC event could work out here it just has to be the right location in the state.

snatale42

I'm really starting to believe that an OC event could work out here it just has to be the right location in the state.

No question it would but like you said, it's gotta be in the right place... AT FIRST! Out of curiosity where in the PRMA are you? I'm gonna assume Central/Western MA?