• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

5 preschoolers hit with hammer in new China attack

No NAU

imported post

(My condolences to the victims and their families, I just had to use this incident to illustrate the point we so often make.)

Clearly we need to ban hammers. The attack had nothing to do with the fact that the the guy was clearly, at minimum, "unbalanced". It was all because of the hammer. If we can push this ban through quickly we can move on to banning stone tools and then rocks themselves.

BEIJING — A farmer attacked kindergarten students with a hammer, injuring five, before burning himself to death Friday in China's third such assault in as many days and prompting the government to demand stricter school security nationwide.

Wang Yonglai used a motorcycle to break down the gate of the Shangzhuang Primary School in the eastern city of Weifang and struck a teacher who tried to block him before hitting students with the hammer, the official Xinhua News Agency said.

Wang then grabbed two children before pouring gasoline over his body and setting fire to himself. Teachers were able to pull the children away to safety, but Wang died. None of the five injured students had life-threatening injuries, Xinhua said.

The attack was confirmed by an employee at the Weifang Public Security information office. But the motive for Wang's rampage was unclear. Xinhua described him only as a local farmer.
State media either ignored or played down the attack, perhaps to discourage copycat attacks as some experts have urged or to avoid overshadowing the opening of the World Expo in Shanghai, a pet project of the communist government.

Most of the recent school attacks have been blamed on people with personal grudges or mental illness — seen as a growing problem because of feelings of social injustice and alienation in the fast-changing country.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gbb3SvwJW0F1Te35LxNwJDk2UBnQD9FDC5M02

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

No NAU wrote:
(My condolences to the victims and their families, I just had to use this incident to illustrate the point we so often make.)

Clearly we need to ban hammers. The attack had nothing to do with the fact that the the guy was clearly, at minimum, "unbalanced". It was all because of the hammer. If we can push this ban through quickly we can move on to banning stone tools and then rocks themselves.

BEIJING — A farmer attacked kindergarten students with a hammer, injuring five, before burning himself to death Friday in China's third such assault in as many days and prompting the government to demand stricter school security nationwide.

Wang Yonglai used a motorcycle to break down the gate of the Shangzhuang Primary School in the eastern city of Weifang and struck a teacher who tried to block him before hitting students with the hammer, the official Xinhua News Agency said.

Wang then grabbed two children before pouring gasoline over his body and setting fire to himself. Teachers were able to pull the children away to safety, but Wang died. None of the five injured students had life-threatening injuries, Xinhua said.

The attack was confirmed by an employee at the Weifang Public Security information office. But the motive for Wang's rampage was unclear. Xinhua described him only as a local farmer.
State media either ignored or played down the attack, perhaps to discourage copycat attacks as some experts have urged or to avoid overshadowing the opening of the World Expo in Shanghai, a pet project of the communist government.

Most of the recent school attacks have been blamed on people with personal grudges or mental illness — seen as a growing problem because of feelings of social injustice and alienation in the fast-changing country.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gbb3SvwJW0F1Te35LxNwJDk2UBnQD9FDC5M02
All hammers that weigh more than 6oz must be banned!

Those hammers which comply with the weight limit must have handles of less than 6 inches as well.

You must purchase a special permit, and be registered like a sex offender if your hammer has a claw or skull-splitting device that pro-hammer lobbyists try to make you think is benign by lying about how they use it to remove nails. Come on! It's a hammer! You put nails IN with it, not take them OUT!! Who do they think they're fooling?

We swear we aren't trying to take all your hammers away, just these assault hammers. Nevertheless, we say it is a good first step to banning all hammers even thought we said we aren't trying to do that....

Weapons of mass destruction!!!! OMG nail guns!!!!!!!!!

Uber_Olafsun

imported post

Makes me think of the news thing I did during the starbucks protest here. I said something about someone doing something stupid with a screwdriver then should we ban screwdrivers.

Would assault weapons be power tools? Stanley tools better watch out.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

When I was much younger I was a crack shot with a bean shooter.

The gang, The Crude Rude Dudes, changed from throwing super-eggs (that lived behind the A/C where it was warm) when we learned the hard way that a projectile weighing more than an ounce is, in California, Assault With A Deadly Weapon.

The cops grumbled at us for our massed bean shooter assaults but didn't give any where near the hassle that throwing eggs got.