• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Personal carry experience in a bank

sooeey2u

imported post

April 28 at 1:15pm

Had taken off my sweatshirt earlier because the sun was out (for a second) and was only wearing a t-shirt when I walked into the Wells Fargo bank, corner of Centinneal & Mohawk Blvd in Springfield, Oregon, to deposit a check.

Went to a courtesy counter near the first two tellers to get out my bank card, drivers license and sign the check when I heard the nearest teller loudly exclaim to his supervisor that I was carrying a gun.

Proceeded to the other teller where I presented all identification with check when the supervisor approached and asked if I had a CHL. Before I could answer, the teller answered that I had one since it is open right next to my drivers license.

I informed her that altho I did have a valid Oregon CHL I was not required to have one since it was OC. She told me that I wasn't allowed to have a gun in a federal bldg, that a bank being federally insured was considered a federal bldg.

I kindly informed her even so that being the case, Oregon Law allows OC or CC with license in a bank unless the bank specially designates with a sign that no weapons are allowed.

She back stepped somewhat and then said "Well I've known you coming in here for several years so you're OK, besides I know where to find you."

I nicely replied that I have been a member of this bank since 1986 and that really didn't matter concerning the law of where a person can OC. Also suggested that bank employees should be educated on the statutes.

Also let her know that the Key Bank in Thurston does have a sign stating no weapons and that they have lost law abiding customers because of that.

She took it well and I bet she will be asking the bank manager about it.

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This will be an interesting thread.

I love how she states it is a federal facility because it is federally insured and then states that it's ok because you have been a long time customer. To me this means that she knows it's legal but wanted to throw out the federal facility thingjust to get you to back down.

astraflyr

imported post

Insurance makes the building a federal building? Ha ha ha! Does she have a federal pension too? Oh man. Federal bailout make you a federal building, too? GM headquartersnow a federal building? This is something.

Ironbar

imported post

Puddin99 wrote:
This will be an interesting thread.

I love how she states it is a federal facility because it is federally insured and then states that it's ok because you have been a long time customer. To me this means that she knows it's legal but wanted to throw out the federal facility thingjust to get you to back down.
Really? To me it means that she didn't know jack-squat!:shock:

neddis

imported post

I love my bank (Oregon First CCU). I have been in there many times OCing. I even spent some time with the manager when going through auto loan paperwork. Nobody even batted an eye or anything. No comments, etc. They're great.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Gee, if the FDIC insurance was all that is required to be considered a federal facility then what about all the people with federal flood insurance?

We-the-People

imported post

I OC into several Medford banks routinely.

CHASE on highway 62 in the WalMart/Costco mall.

UMPQUA on Pine (Biddle) in Central Point.

Never had a problem.

US BANK in Central Point however told me that I could not carry a firearm in the bank as it was against the law. This is back when I only CC'd and I specifically asked because I was making a large cash withdrawl a few days later and they said they would just be counting it out at the counter (20,000 in 100's). When I asked if they would have security present to ensure my safety to my vehicle after counting out $20,000 and handing it to me they said "No, that's up to you". So I told them "No problem,I'll just CC and provide my own security".

They then informed me that would be illegal. Funny, as I was discussing this with them I was CCing and when I picked up the money I CC'd (and put the cash inside my vest opposite the weapon). I also told them that after the transaction was over I'd be closing my accounts with them (a substantial sum) because I would be moving them to a bank that had a little bit more concern for my safety and was more knowledgeable of the laws.

And yes, I did pull all my assets out of that bank shortly after the cash transaction and made a point of telling the manager exactly why they were losing my funds.

Now days I'd have spoken to the branch manager and explained the law and my philosopy that they certainly could tell me they didn't want any weapons in the branch but that I'd then be required to remove all of my assets and inform all of my friends and online associations that they should do the same. Then let her look up myaccount balances and make a decision.....issue me a cashiers check now, or get with the program.

GSXRrider

imported post

Gosh, my parents have a house on the North Santiam river and have federal flood insurance. Guess that makes it federal property? HAH....

TheHossUSMC

imported post

I have open carried into all the branches of Oregon Community Credit Union in Eugene without problems. Although I have seen the occasional teller eyeball it. My most unpleasant experience in a banking facility is an old woman snapping her gum in line behind me.

Porter N

imported post

I live in between a 'better' side of town and a higher-crime downtown area. my bank has a branch on each side. I usually frequent the better side of town because I work that direction, and always OC there without problems. Like your scenario, they know me there so that makes it better?

I went through the drive through of the office in higher-crime downtown. It's a small branch and only has one lane of drive-through, right next to the window. and the older lady at the teller looked at my dashboard (without a permit here, the gun has to be visible from 2 or more sides of the vehicle so I keep it on the dash) and says, with my bank card and ID and check in hand, "you know this is bulletproof glass..."

I really didn't know what to say. I gave her the usual, 'er, It's for my personal protection - it's legal' run-down, but she still looked at me extra cautiously. I still don't really know what to say about it!

TheHossUSMC

imported post

I always treat those types of situations like they are crazy for saying something like that because they are.

my response would have been something to the effect of.
"Oh really? Thats a nice feature to protect you at your job. I wish I could get some for my house."
Or something like that. They are the crazy ones for not carrying guns.

Jenshubby

imported post

neddis wrote:
I love my bank (Oregon First CCU). I have been in there many times OCing. I even spent some time with the manager when going through auto loan paperwork. Nobody even batted an eye or anything. No comments, etc. They're great.
You must be so good at OC that I can't even see that you're OCing here in Hermiston. GRR! hehe