Thread: Current Michigan Police Scanner Laws.

Post imported post

In 2003 I was on a Volunteer Fire Dept. and I applied and received a personal license from the state so I could possess a fire/police scanner in my vehicle. I believe sometime later that the law was changed so that it was no longer a crime to possess a scanner in a vehicle. Is that still so?

And then here is a tid-bit that can be up for debate:

What would you think about someone have a police scanner in their backpack and running headphones out of it and listening to it while OCing. It would definitely give a heads up if there is a MWAG call.

Also, what about recording the scanner activity at home while out OCing?
    Someone who can't be trusted to walk free in public with a firearm shouldn't be walking around free.

Post imported post

MarineSgt wrote:
    In 2003 I was on a Volunteer Fire Dept. and I applied and received a personal license from the state so I could possess a fire/police scanner in my vehicle. I believe sometime later that the law was changed so that it was no longer a crime to possess a scanner in a vehicle. Is that still so?

And then here is a tid-bit that can be up for debate:

What would you think about someone have a police scanner in their backpack and running headphones out of it and listening to it while OCing. It would definitely give a heads up if there is a MWAG call.

Also, what about recording the scanner activity at home while out OCing?
    I don't have a cite right now but yes, the law that prohibited the mere citizenry from possessing, using scanners in vehicles was repealed. If I remember correctly, the law changed sometime back in the 90's. So yes, you can possess, use scanners in a vehicle or on foot, as long as, it's not used in commission of a crime. I'll try to find a cite.

Post imported post

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(rvz...508&userid=

750.508 Equipping vehicle with radio able to receive signals on frequencies assigned for police or certain other purposes; violation; penalties; radar detectors not applicable.

Sec. 508.

(1) A person who has been convicted of 1 or more felonies during the preceding 5 years shall not carry or have in his or her possession a radio receiving set that will receive signals sent on a frequency assigned by the federal communications commission of the United States for police or other law enforcement, fire fighting, emergency medical, federal, state, or local corrections, or homeland security purposes. This subsection does not apply to a person who is licensed as an amateur radio operator by the federal communications commission. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 1 year or a fine of not more than $1,000.00, or both.

(2) A person shall not carry or have in his or her possession in the commission or attempted commission of a crime a radio receiving set that will receive signals sent on a frequency assigned by the federal communications commission of the United States for police or other law enforcement, fire fighting, emergency medical, federal, state, or local corrections, or homeland security purposes. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a crime as follows:

(a) If this subsection is violated in the commission or attempted commission of a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at least 93 days but less than 1 year, the person is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 1 year or a fine of not more than $1,000.00, or both.

(b) If this subsection is violated in the commission or attempted commission of a misdemeanor or felony punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of 1 year or more, the person is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both.

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to a person who carries or has in his or her possession a radio receiving set described in subsection (2) in the commission or attempted commission of a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of less than 93 days.

(4) This section does not apply to the use of radar detectors.

History: 1931, Act 328, Eff. Sept. 18, 1931 ;-- Am. 1939, Act 295, Eff. Sept. 29, 1939 ;-- CL 1948, 750.508 ;-- Am. 1957, Act 242, Eff. Sept. 27, 1957 ;-- Am. 1990, Act 77, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1990 ;-- Am. 2002, Act 672, Eff. Mar. 31, 2003 ;-- Am. 2006, Act 39, Eff. May 31, 2006
    Constitutionality: This section, which prohibits equipping or using a vehicle with a radio receiving set capable of receiving frequencies assigned for police purposes, was enacted to facilitate law enforcement activity. This section's restriction of persons permitted to monitor those frequencies involves classifications which are rationally related to the statute's objective, consistent with equal protection and due process guarantees. People v Gilbert, 414 Mich 191; 324 NW2d 834 (1982).
    Former Law: See section 5 of Act 152 of 1929, being CL 1929, § 578.

Banned

Post imported post

Really doesnt matter at this point. Everyone that is on digital is moving to open sky.

Post imported post

i have a ham radio license which exempted me from the previous scanner law.

I wonder if you are a felon if you are restricted from having in iphone or other similiar device. Iphone can be used to receive police radio traffic via the net
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Post imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
    I wonder if you are a felon if you are restricted from having in iphone or other similiar device. Iphone can be used to receive police radio traffic via the net

750.508 Equipping vehicle with radio able to receive signals on frequencies assigned for police or certain other purposes; violation; penalties; radar detectors not applicable.

Sec. 508.

shall not carry or have in his or her possession a radio receiving set that will receive signals sent on a frequency

shall not carry or have in his or her possession in the commission or attempted commission of a crime a radio receiving set that will receive signals sent on a frequency
    Seems like an iPhone user receiving the signal over an internet connection should be good.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Regular Member American Boy With a Gun's Avatar

Post imported post

Seems like an iPhone user receiving the signal over an internet connection should be good.

Bronson
    they do have scanner apps for IPhone and Android smart phones
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

Post imported post

American Boy With a Gun wrote:

Bronson
    they do have scanner apps for IPhone and Android smart phones
    that's what they're talking about
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Post imported post

But is the iPhone itself receiving the radio signal or is it receiving the information over an internet connection?

If it is not receiving it directly over aradio frequencyit doesn't seemlike that particular law would apply.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Post imported post

theres websites you can go to that you can listen to police frequency on.

i listened to ingham county a few weeks ago for a few hours.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

The law was changed a few years back and anyone who is not committing a crime or other wise restricted by the statute may possess on their person or in their vehicle a radio to receive police calls. See the statue posted earlier in this post. However, just like OC, not all police officers are well versed on this statue.

Many were taught the old statute which stated the vehicle had to be owned or operated by a police officer, an amateur radio operator with a Technician class or higher license, or a person with a permit from the director of MSP.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar

Post imported post

Bronson wrote:
    But is the iPhone itself receiving the radio signal or is it receiving the information over an internet connection?

If it is not receiving it directly over aÂ*radio frequencyÂ*it doesn't seemÂ*like that particular law would apply.

BronsonÂ*
    it's on the 3g wireless network - internet
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Post imported post

Open sky is only Oakland County and maybe one or two surrounding counties. Most LE agencies use 800 digital with some analog. Opensky is the anomaly. Good reference is www.radioreference.com, under the Michigan forum.

Banned

Post imported post

There is a live scanner link at www.michigan2a.net. Click Resources. Although with everyone going to open sky I am not sure how longthis feedwill be available.

Post imported post

I have a Moto Cliq, and if you go to the app store (or market) type in police scanner, and download one for $1.49 and it lets you listen to 1,000's of different police bands, all over the US and Canada. I'm pretty sure its via the internet, but its only on a 2sec delay.

God Bless
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless