• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NM permit for UT resident?

broncbob

imported post

How would a UT resident go about getting a NM permit? I find my self in your state on business often, and would like to keep my hand gun with me. Sadly I leave for NM on the third, so I won't be able to carry there this time.

NMBill

imported post

New Mexico requires proof of residence for a permit. I suppose you could get an Arizona permit -- they only require US residency. I believe. You would need to take a class in Arizona.

jhow1nm2

imported post

Please forgive my ignorance here. This is an open carry forum. No permit is required in NM to open carry, whether the person is a resident of the state of NM or not.

Rottie

imported post

jhow1nm2 wrote:
Please forgive my ignorance here. This is an open carry forum. No permit is required in NM to open carry, whether the person is a resident of the state of NM or not.

Your ignorance is forgiven:lol:. Concealed carry permits are a valid point of the OC discussion. Federal Law 18 U.S.C. ss 922 (q) Gun Free School Zone Actprohibits the posession (other than locked, unloaded and securely encased) and carry of a firearm within 1,000 feet of any School unless, among other exceptions, on private property not part of school grounds, or "The individual posessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the state in which the school zone is located..."

I know that in New Mexico it is illegal to carry a gun into a school or on school property even with a permit per your state law. However your permit is what allows you to be within the 1,000 feet of the school without risking being charged with a federal felony. Here in the state of Utah, a concealed firearm permit that is recgonized by our state, allows those who posess it to not be in violation of this law as it is the "license" required by federal law for exemption of the GFSZA. It also allows one who carry's a firearm open or concealed to not be in violation of similar Utah state law.Bottom line, if you are going to openly carry a firearm without a concealed firearm permit, especially in Utah, you had better get a good map of school zones and plan your travel around those pesky 1,000 feet radiuses or be willing to risk arrest and prosecution. I find it much more convenient to just get a concealed permit and not have to carry a map. You see it is relevant after all.

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
imported post

broncbob wrote:
How would a UT resident go about getting a NM permit? I find my self in your state on business often, and would like to keep my hand gun with me. Sadly I leave for NM on the third, so I won't be able to carry there this time.

As noted, within cetain restrictions, you can openly carry your firearm in NM without a permit.

If open carry doesn't meet your needs, a license from any state currently recognized by NM will keep you legal, concealed.

Steve Aikens