Thread: Open Carry -- Revolvers

Post imported post

I understand the concept of having an open carry semi-auto two actions away from firing. Loaded mag and empty chamber. Exactly how does the "two action" requirement apply to revolvers -- specifically a DAO revolver?

Post imported post

OK, just for kicks I'll answer my own question.

Found this recap of Utah gun laws in another thread.

http://freeutah.org/docs/UtahGunLaw2009v4.pdf

According to this info:

A double action revolver cannot have a round in line with the barrel OR in the next cylinder.

So, sounds to me like my five round revolver would effectively be a "3-shooter". Still waiting to receive my CC permit (paperwork submitted) from NM, but traveling through Utah shortly. Guess a semi-auto would be a better bet.

Post imported post

I don't know which is better, having 3 rounds instantly available or having to use both hands to rack the slide on an auto.

Maybe an 8 round revolver leaving you 6?

Post imported post

You sir, are correct.

A single action revolver would only require the cylinder under the hammer to be empty.

Of course, all of this is a moot point once you get your permit.

Welcome to OCDO!
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

NMBill wrote:
    So, sounds to me like my five round revolver would effectively be a "3-shooter". Still waiting to receive my CC permit (paperwork submitted) from NM, but traveling through Utah shortly. Guess a semi-auto would be a better bet.
    The North American Arms 5 round mini revolver is designed in a way that it is legal to load all five. It is a single action revolver with a "safety" the positions the hammer between chambers in the cylinder. That way, there is no round in the firing position and it takes two separate mechanical actions to fire.

Post imported post

I said that was the case a while ago concerning my 1851 Navy, and received a lot of resistance to the idea.

Doesn't matter anymore because I have a permit, but I still believe it is this way.

Post imported post

Thanks, all, for your replies. We'll make it all work this time, one way or another. Next trip, I'll have my NM permit -- unless Utah stops recognizing them. :X

Post imported post

NMBill wrote:
    Thanks, all, for your replies. We'll make it all work this time, one way or another. Next trip, I'll have my NM permit -- unless Utah stops recognizing them. :X
    Don't worry about Utah not recognizing your permit, I'm sure your NM permit will still be recognized here. Utah is a great RKBA state.

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    I said that was the case a while ago concerning my 1851 Navy, and received a lot of resistance to the idea.
    I vaguely remember that discussion, but I didn't remember that it allowed you to position the cylinder such that there is no round in line with the barrel.

Post imported post

The revolver has the same safety notches between the cylinders that the NAA revolver does.

Post imported post

Tell them you are traveling to a dangerous state where everybody is an armed loon who has no training and you need to defend yourself. Maybe they will expedite your permit. LOL

Just kidding. People are nice here and you are welcome.

But seriously, call them up and tell them you are traveling and ask them if they will expedite it. You never know...