• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry -- Revolvers

NMBill

imported post

I understand the concept of having an open carry semi-auto two actions away from firing. Loaded mag and empty chamber. Exactly how does the "two action" requirement apply to revolvers -- specifically a DAO revolver?

NMBill

imported post

OK, just for kicks I'll answer my own question. ;)

Found this recap of Utah gun laws in another thread.

http://freeutah.org/docs/UtahGunLaw2009v4.pdf

According to this info:

A double action revolver cannot have a round in line with the barrel OR in the next cylinder.

So, sounds to me like my five round revolver would effectively be a "3-shooter". Still waiting to receive my CC permit (paperwork submitted) from NM, but traveling through Utah shortly. Guess a semi-auto would be a better bet.

Kingfish

imported post

I don't know which is better, having 3 rounds instantly available or having to use both hands to rack the slide on an auto.

Maybe an 8 round revolver leaving you 6?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

You sir, are correct.

A single action revolver would only require the cylinder under the hammer to be empty.

Of course, all of this is a moot point once you get your permit.

Welcome to OCDO! :monkey

rpyne

imported post

NMBill wrote:
So, sounds to me like my five round revolver would effectively be a "3-shooter". Still waiting to receive my CC permit (paperwork submitted) from NM, but traveling through Utah shortly. Guess a semi-auto would be a better bet.
The North American Arms 5 round mini revolver is designed in a way that it is legal to load all five. It is a single action revolver with a "safety" the positions the hammer between chambers in the cylinder. That way, there is no round in the firing position and it takes two separate mechanical actions to fire.

thx997303

imported post

I said that was the case a while ago concerning my 1851 Navy, and received a lot of resistance to the idea.

Doesn't matter anymore because I have a permit, but I still believe it is this way.

NMBill

imported post

Thanks, all, for your replies. We'll make it all work this time, one way or another. Next trip, I'll have my NM permit -- unless Utah stops recognizing them. :X

Rottie

imported post

NMBill wrote:
Thanks, all, for your replies. We'll make it all work this time, one way or another. Next trip, I'll have my NM permit -- unless Utah stops recognizing them. :X
Don't worry about Utah not recognizing your permit, I'm sure your NM permit will still be recognized here. Utah is a great RKBA state.

swillden

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
I said that was the case a while ago concerning my 1851 Navy, and received a lot of resistance to the idea.
I vaguely remember that discussion, but I didn't remember that it allowed you to position the cylinder such that there is no round in line with the barrel.

redreed

imported post

Tell them you are traveling to a dangerous state where everybody is an armed loon who has no training and you need to defend yourself. Maybe they will expedite your permit. LOL

Just kidding. People are nice here and you are welcome.

But seriously, call them up and tell them you are traveling and ask them if they will expedite it. You never know...