Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: What is it about gun critics and the 'Wild West?'

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,863

    Post imported post

    What is it about gun critics and the 'Wild West?'

    People who have a “thing” about other people carrying firearms —either openly or concealed — must also have a pretty limited imagination.
    They all seem to equate carrying defensive sidearms with the so-called “Wild West..."



    http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seatt...-the-Wild-West

    Or try this:

    http://tinyurl.com/29pr6vs

  2. #2
    Regular Member Mech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    168

    Post imported post

    Oh...you know these people..they think the wild wild west is just a bunch of cowboy lunatics running around and shooting with their guns out in the open, while back east everyone's dressed up all nice and tidy and gun violence is nonexistent...

    From my talks with people, that seems to be a rather common misconception. Sadly, even those who actually paid attention in US History class thinks the same way. You can sit them in lectures for hours, but their predisposed ideas can be hard to change.

    And that's one reason why I OC. Using my actions (and words when necessary) to educate people about the REAL world that we live in, to show, by example, that OC is in fact legal.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Port Orchard, Washington, USA
    Posts
    897

    Post imported post

    I think they watched Deadwood too much, personally.

  4. #4
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522

    Post imported post

    We could only wish it was like the old west. Less crime.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  5. #5
    Regular Member Tomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    University Place, Washington, USA
    Posts
    705

    Post imported post

    ...at the very least stealin' a man's ride ought to still be a capital offense.

    These days even a caught serial car thief is usually back on the street before a person gets their car back...


    No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: The officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets. -- Edward Abbey

    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Facimus!

  6. #6
    Regular Member killchain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Richland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    Tomas wrote:
    ...at the very least stealin' a man's ride ought to still be a capital offense.

    These days even a caught serial car thief is usually back on the street before a person gets their car back...

    *IF* they get the car back. I feel sorry for all those guys and gals who have Acura Integras that disappeared into chop shops.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

  7. #7
    Regular Member Tomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    University Place, Washington, USA
    Posts
    705

    Post imported post

    killchain wrote:
    Tomas wrote:
    ...at the very least stealin' a man's ride ought to still be a capital offense.

    These days even a caught serial car thief is usually back on the street before a person gets their car back...

    *IF* they get the car back. I feel sorry for all those guys and gals who have Acura Integras that disappeared into chop shops.
    Yeah, and it always galls the Hell outta me when the police totally destroy someone's car in the process of apprehending the scum who stole it, then after having it destroyed the the thief's not even punished, and doesn't even have to pay for the damage.

    Car thieves take what to most people is either their number one or number two most costly possession, and the legal system doesn't even pretend to treat of it as a serious felony. They run 'em through court, give them a nice low bail, and they probably steal another car to drive home from court.

    *twitch*

    (Sorry, one of my buttons has obviously been pushed. I'll go quietly.)


    "Don't touch my car."
    No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: The officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets. -- Edward Abbey

    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Facimus!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    26

    Post imported post

    The old westwas romanticized on the big screen. I think about the only western themed portrayal that didn't have some sort of armed confrontation on a regular basis was "Little House on the Prairie".

    Then there's what I call the New West. I think the crime rate in Tacoma, for example,would make the citizenry of Dodge City blush. There's more crime there in a month than Dodge City in a decade. The old "Almost Live" comedy show had a funny city slogan for Fife: Last chance to reload before Tacoma.

    (My apologies in advance to all those fine upstanding citizens in Tacoma.)

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,863

    Post imported post

    Red Ryder wrote:
    The old west*was romanticized on the big screen. I think about the only western themed portrayal that didn't have some sort of armed confrontation on a regular basis was "Little House on the Prairie".

    Then there's what I call the New West. I think the crime rate in Tacoma, for example,*would make the citizenry of Dodge City blush. There's more crime there in a month than Dodge City in a decade. The old "Almost Live" comedy show had a funny city slogan for Fife: Last chance to reload before Tacoma.

    (My apologies in advance to all those fine upstanding citizens in Tacoma.)
    I grew up in Tacoma. How can you possibly apologize for something like this?

    One does not apologize for telling the truth.

    The only thing wrong with Tacoma is that there is no season on perps and no bag limit. But if one turns it over to the Department of Fish & Wildlife, I'm betting drawing permits will be offered...

    :what:

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Tacoma, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,327

    Post imported post

    The only thing wrong with Tacoma is that there is no season on perps and no bag limit. But if one turns it over to the Department of Fish & Wildlife, I'm betting drawing permits will be offered...
    Wow, you're onto something. Once this happens, can we also ask them for an urban deer bow hunting season? We are so, so overrun by Bambi and parents!

  11. #11
    Regular Member Tomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    University Place, Washington, USA
    Posts
    705

    Post imported post

    Yeah, but perp pelts are worthless and the meat is greasy...


    No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: The officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets. -- Edward Abbey

    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Facimus!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, Washington, USA
    Posts
    133

    Post imported post

    Tomas wrote:
    Yeah, but perp pelts are worthless and the meat is greasy...

    Perps are pest animals though, kind of like feral hogs (i.e. not hunted for food). The real answer would be to declare open season on them, no tags or permits, and maybe offer a bounty.



  13. #13
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Closer to how lawlessness was actually dealt with in the past.






    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  14. #14
    Regular Member killchain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Richland, Washington, USA
    Posts
    788

    Post imported post

    k.rollin wrote:
    Tomas wrote:
    Yeah, but perp pelts are worthless and the meat is greasy...

    Perps are pest animals though, kind of like feral hogs (i.e. not hunted for food). The real answer would be to declare open season on them, no tags or permits, and maybe offer a bounty.

    Perps are Goblins.


    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •